ASUS USB BIOS Flashback

krogen

[H]ard|Gawd
I just put together a new PC and wanted to share something I've come across with ASUS's USB BIOS flashback. Essentially, it's a BIOS/UEFI flashing method without powering on the system. Great if the motherboard won't POST for whatever reason. Plug in a USB stick with a BIOS image, press a button on the motherboard and you're good... At least, that's how it is advertised.

The problem that I have come across was the motherboard rejecting the image (or the drive) and not flashing. I could not flash the motherboard with any other conventional means as the PC would not POST - the CPU was not supported, at least that's what my guess was.

It look me a while to figure this out - my USB flash drive was partitioned with GPT. Once I created a standard MBR partition table on the drive I was able to flash the motherboard.

No information about this in the manual nor on the interwebs. Other than that, great little feature.

What mobo do you have? I just bought a Sabertooth Mark 2 and a 4790K. I'm not sure if the BIOS that comes on the board supports the 4790K, but I see that it does have the ASUS USB BIOS flashback feature. Unfortunately the manual doesn't say anything about being able to use it with just a power supply. :(

It look me a while to figure this out - my USB flash drive was partitioned with GPT. Once I created a standard MBR partition table on the drive I was able to flash the motherboard.

No information about this in the manual nor on the interwebs. Other than that, great little feature.

Hello

Instructions linked below including the need for FAT32 formatting:

Simply drop the (UEFI) BIOS file onto a FAT32 formatted USB stick, plug it into the USB BIOS Flashback port and press the Flashback button next to it.
http://rog.asus.com/technology/republic-of-gamers-motherboard-innovations/usb-bios-flashback/

What mobo do you have? I just bought a Sabertooth Mark 2 and a 4790K. I'm not sure if the BIOS that comes on the board supports the 4790K, but I see that it does have the ASUS USB BIOS flashback feature. Unfortunately the manual doesn't say anything about being able to use it with just a power supply. :(

I bought a 4790 with a Gryphon Z87. I bet yours supports it since it's a new motherboard.

Hello

Instructions linked below including the need for FAT32 formatting:

http://rog.asus.com/technology/republic-of-gamers-motherboard-innovations/usb-bios-flashback/

Yes, that's correct, but there's nothing about the partition table in the manual or in any other directions that I could find.

Yup beat me too it, needed to be FAT32 used this feature several times. It is very handy.

Back