Asus ul80j

tnt3k

2[H]4U
Seems like there's not a thread about the asus ul80j. It is pretty recent and I happened upon this at best buy while looking for a laptop for my dad. This laptop's specs seem pretty decent and so i was wondering if anyone has any problems with this laptop if they have one. I have the Asus ul80vt and its pretty good except for the palmrest which is a huuuuuuge fingerprint magnet.

CPU: Intel® Core™ i3 Processor 330UM : 1.2 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 1.86 GHz;
Chipset: Mobile Intel® HM55 Express Chipset
Memory: 4G DDR3
Dedicated graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® G 310M, with 1GB DDR3 VRAM ( i'm wondering how this performs for games)
Display: 14" HD (1366x768) Color-Shine (Glare-type)
Optical drive: DVD Super Multi (best buy has the dual lyaer one)

Seems like a great laptop for 750 at BestBuy

I just picked this up myself earlier today, runs very smooth so far but haven't had much time to test it out out. Decent performance for a good price and mobility.

I did have some problems getting the nVidia Optimus thing to recognize some games, specifically those launched through steam. I had to add each game executable to the list of applications that required 3D acceleration before it worked. Not hard, just annoying for a system that is advertised to work seamlessly...

I just picked this up myself earlier today, runs very smooth so far but haven't had much time to test it out out. Decent performance for a good price and mobility.

I did have some problems getting the nVidia Optimus thing to recognize some games, specifically those launched through steam. I had to add each game executable to the list of applications that required 3D acceleration before it worked. Not hard, just annoying for a system that is advertised to work seamlessly...

i assume you probably looked into what you wanna buy. i don't see a difference between this and the asus ul80jt. did you notice any?

This laptop was actually one of my first "impulse" purchases, with only about 2 hours of research behind it. After basic training I really needed a laptop at my tech school and my previous freebie hand-down suddenly quit on me. I had a gift card to Best Buy and a desire to play some games while not needing to replace my desktop at home. The other reasonably priced Asus laptops didn't have dedicated graphics chips, so this was literally my only choice, unless I wanted a different brand.

I'm pretty sure there is no difference between the two model numbers. The Best Buy website and even my recepit says UL80J-BBK5 but the system properties says its a UL80Jt Series. The only difference I can see is maybe the images from Amazon on the Jt show the older style trackpad surface (matrix of dimples).

This laptop was actually one of my first "impulse" purchases, with only about 2 hours of research behind it. After basic training I really needed a laptop at my tech school and my previous freebie hand-down suddenly quit on me. I had a gift card to Best Buy and a desire to play some games while not needing to replace my desktop at home. The other reasonably priced Asus laptops didn't have dedicated graphics chips, so this was literally my only choice, unless I wanted a different brand.

I'm pretty sure there is no difference between the two model numbers. The Best Buy website and even my recepit says UL80J-BBK5 but the system properties says its a UL80Jt Series. The only difference I can see is maybe the images from Amazon on the Jt show the older style trackpad surface (matrix of dimples).

great as long as it has the asus 2 year warranty i'm gonna go pick one up

I have the VT and I love mine. Check on that warranty I think I read somewhere that if its bought at Best Buy it doesn't have the Asus warranty because they want you to get geek squad. I got my VT on amazon.

Would it be worth the money to buy Best Buy's ul80J over the ul80VT? The VT is priced at 689 on Amazon right now.

I literally just bought a UL80 vt off Amazon a few hours ago. How does the SU processor compare to the i3?

I'm hovering over that UL80vt right now, but if it's worth the power I'd drive over to BB tomorrow morning and get the ul80j.

Is the extra power worth the halved battery life? Does the J have the switchable graphics?

It actually appears I got a lemon. I've had several BSODs and hard lock-ups since buying this laptop a few days ago. Did a factory restore, updated drivers and even turned off the turbo mode but to no avail. The wireless adapter would also randomly disable itself as if I hit the function + key combo, then required a reboot to re-enable it.

I love the Asus brand for hardware, but I'm not impressed with this laptop. I've decided to return it and spend a bit more cash and get an Acer Aspire AS7745G-6662 which has some more power and a larger screen with a BD drive (which was originally part of my criteria). Now I remember why I research the shit outta anything I buy, it always turns out to be more hassle in the long run when I don't.

Just bought the UL80 vt off amazon. First impressions tomorrow.

Just got my UL80VT-A1 up and running. So far initial impressions are positive. It comes with a ton of bloatware that I had to uninstall. Installed Heroes of Newerth on it and it was able to run playable on high settings. Currently installing SC2 on it and typing this message. The speakers are pretty good as well. I will post an update after I put it through more use.

+1 on the bloatware. I was planning on wiping and reloading clean from a ISO after doing the Recovery ISO. But e damn thing took nearly 3 hours to burn 4 stupid DVDs, and by then I had uninstalled all of the bloatware anyway.

Finding my settings for SC2 still, plays like asshole with high shaders, seeing if I can't get it ok on mid. L4D2 plays nice @ all mids, which is more than acceptable. If I disable the optical drive and wireless it says it'll do 10hours, which is kickass. It's kind of annoying to get used to the power saving profiles.

Be warned about viewing angles on the Asus UL series - they are TERRIBLE. On my UL30, the top and bottom of the screen have markedly diminished contrast even at 0 degrees vertical. I really notice this on sites that have dark backgrounds - for example, the gray/black motif at hardforum blurs into black/black at the top of my screen and gray/black at the bottom.

If your going for something like that, the Alienware m11x is a better buy for around the same price. Check out the Outlet store for some good deals on them too.

Ok, Power4Gear profiles don't always turn optical and webcam on/off correctly.

Can that MX11 pull off the battery times that the UL80vt can? That was one of my criteria, long battery life for when I'm travelling, and acceptable gaming when I so desire it. So far, so good. Lets see how it behaves itself over time.

the MX11 can pull 6 hours of note taking, and 5-6 surfing non flash sites. You can also get 2 1/2 to 3 hours of youtube HD

Back