Asus Tuf FX 505 no pointer/touchpad.

Zenprophet

Weaksauce
Hello,

My brother has an Asus fx505 laptop, it has sat powered on, but used for probably 3 months. He just started using it again yesterday and has no mouse pointer. The touchpad does not work, he also has a wireless mouse Per the key layout you can disable the touchpad with the F10 key. I've been trying to help him get it in working order. But, nothing seems to work, most steps I've found online are either the F5 or f7 key or one of those with the FN key. Tried all that and tried the F10 key with and without the FN key. We have tried updating the drivers for the mouse, and did a windows reinstall.

Most of the search results we have found also say to hit windows, then typing in touchpad and go into touchpad settings, that option just isn't there.. And even if I go into settings and look at the devices/mice most of those instructions show the touchpad as an option, we do not have that just mouse/pointer. Drivers are up to date, changed the pointer size and color, but still no visible pointer. Contacted microsoft chat and updated the version and build of windows.

Nothing seems to work and I hope there is something really simple I missed, can anyone possibly give me a suggestion on what to try? Thanks for any help you can provide.

pop the back off and make sure the battery isnt budging and messing up the tp. then try reseating the ribbon cable.

Checked in the BIOS for any trackpad options? Some laptops have settings to enable/disable them in the BIOS.

Checked in the BIOS for any trackpad options? Some laptops have settings to enable/disable them in the BIOS.
pop the back off and make sure the battery isnt budging and messing up the tp. then try reseating the ribbon cable.
Tried that and the battery seems fine, ribbon cable is good. I have not checked BIOS for trackpad options, but will check that in a bit. It's strange because windows settings shows no option for trackpad and the F10 Key does show a trackpad with a line through it so that is the hot key to disable the trackpad. Pressing it does nothing, there is no response it's as if there was never a trackpad and that F10 key is just cosmetic. I could be fine with that honestly, if the USB mouse would work, but I'm not even getting a pointer.

what does device manager show? if it shows up, try rolling back the driver.

what does device manager show? if it shows up, try rolling back the driver.
No touchpad listed in device manager, and no option in bios. I did however find out if I remove the usb bit for the mouse and use a new wireless mouse the pointer appears and works. But, if I disconnect that mouse the pointer also disappears. Still no touch pad or touchpad settings, F10 and FN+F10 seem to be unresponsive. All other function keys work fine as does the FN key. Really makes no sense, but I have a workable solution for now, but would like the touchpad back as well.

No touchpad listed in device manager, and no option in bios. I did however find out if I remove the usb bit for the mouse and use a new wireless mouse the pointer appears and works. But, if I disconnect that mouse the pointer also disappears. Still no touch pad or touchpad settings, F10 and FN+F10 seem to be unresponsive. All other function keys work fine as does the FN key. Really makes no sense, but I have a workable solution for now, but would like the touchpad back as well.
k. got an extra drive you could load fresh windows onto? rule out software vs hardware...
or build a live boot disk(cd or usb) like hirens or a linux boot disk, anything that would normally pnp the tp.
building a hirens usb stick would be quickest actually..

Back