ASUS Terminator T1-C3

I already have a PC Engines WRAP for that purpose, but I do agree with you with that.. if only they made an even smaller case then that one, something with only one 5.25" and no floppy. Like a little mini-desktop getup...

dam i want that thing! Can someone please suggest possible uses for it?

dam i want that thing! Can someone please suggest possible uses for it?

-file server (can do two sata drives.. 2x500gb ftw?)
-router (IDE->CF adapter)
-possible carputer? It's kind of big for that, but some modding can go a long way

You want it, but you dont know what to do with it? o_O

yeah i know, im a sad, sad person.

Seriously though, I am new to file/print/ftp servers. I have a strong desire to learn linux and as much as I can and because of the price and modest specs, this looks like a machine for me to experiment with.

Sorry for looking like a noob, but the only way to learn is to be honest and admit my lack of knowledge

Would this system be good to run windows 95b? LoL... I have an old Pentium 266 in the garage w/ 128 ram, or should I just use that? :) I think this would be fun though. :-(

Yea, 95, 98, quite possibly 2k..

any textual linux would scream on it, I am not sure how well gnome or kde will run, but I will find out on monday when it gets here!

Yea, 95, 98, quite possibly 2k..

any textual linux would scream on it, I am not sure how well gnome or kde will run, but I will find out on monday when it gets here!

When I had KDE & Gnome on a P3 Tualatin 1.4, it was pretty good. :) Wouldn't this system ~ about same performance? Although I was using a FX 5500 PCI card. woohoo

When I had KDE & Gnome on a P3 Tualatin 1.4, it was pretty good. :) Wouldn't this system ~ about same performance? Although I was using a FX 5500 PCI card. woohoo

1400mhz P3 Tulatin > 800mhz Via C3.

The C3 uses the same bus, but is a lower performing chip clock for clock, and given that this is almost half the clockspeed of your 1.4ghz P3, it would not be so great.

I have a dual P3 1.0ghz box, that runs several VM's, and I intend on moving one of my linux VM's so this box, so it will have its own dedicated bus, drives, and ram, even if the processing will be slower.

would that be a good machine for learning linux on?

Any computer is good for learning Linux on. That being said, I would second using it for a router...I had mine running endian and it was good enough for our cable connection.

Would it be able to handle video? <300 price if it coudl playback a dvd or xvid i'd call worth while...

It would probably do mpeg2 and divx/xvid ok, but things like h264 or avc would be too much. Once I receive it tomorrow, I will run it thru some tests, and give you guys a better idea of what its capable of.

I haven't tried video playback on mine either..

but it does run Xubuntu rather well. I even had server 2003 on it for a little bit to see how that would fair.. it wasn't really that bad at all! Slightly slow, but the I/O is very quick.

Good shit.

It would probably do mpeg2 and divx/xvid ok, but things like h264 or avc would be too much. Once I receive it tomorrow, I will run it thru some tests, and give you guys a better idea of what its capable of.

Thank you. Only way to tell how well it'll run is other peoples experiences i think. I'm personally thinking a stripped down XP isntall w/ GPS nav software for use in car.. coudl rip case apart to make it fit in trunk a bit better

It is here! I am currently installing Ubuntu 7.04 on it right now. It seems pretty snappy so far.

I will snap some photos later today.

Ubuntu was absolutely usable, if a tad slow. Video did work, but it was skipping a number of frames in my relatively high-bitrate files. A lower bitrate would probably help with that, as would a lighter window manager, like xfce4 (like Xubuntu)

I am currently installing gentoo 2006.1 on the box, and I will do some more tests once its finished compiling.

Ok.. Gentoo is installed, and running smoothly. glibc took about 2 hours to compile, but thats no surprise given the clockspeed of the unit.

I brought the machine home today, and did some power tests. 35watt draw idle, peaks at 51w, that is with a WD800JB and a Yamaha FZ-1. Those readings dropped about 2w, when disconnecting the FZ-1.

I am now installing a few apps into it, but its happily speeding along. This is notably faster then the K6/2 450mhz machines I have done this same build with, and in reading some notes about the C3, it should be considered a K6-3.

I snapped some photos, I will resize them, and upload them shortly. Unfortunately, I did not take many, as the machine was on, and I could not open the case more then shown. If you have any special requests, I can try to accommodate, but the Newegg photos are relatively comprehensive for the exterior.

Images are clickable for enlargements.

Overall view.

Inside shot.

Comparison shot.

The system is exactly as tall as a full width ATX board is, I found that amusing.

I just ordered one of these puppies from newegg

Will actually be my main system!!

Had 3 other motherboards which all in turn were FRIED in the last month probably due to a faulty generic PSU.

Primarily will be used as a home audio studio recording machine, but will play some older games haha.

How's the video on this sucker?

How high of a CPU do you think you could put in this?

1 Ghz Via C3's are pretty cheap, and by the looks of a few reviews i found on google, they at least seem to scale well..

Any chance I could get my P3's on here??
Via's site indicated the motherboard chipset would not support it ...

Primarily will be used as a home audio studio recording machine, but will play some older games haha.

How's the video on this sucker?

How high of a CPU do you think you could put in this?

1 Ghz Via C3's are pretty cheap, and by the looks of a few reviews i found on google, they at least seem to scale well..

Any chance I could get my P3's on here??
Via's site indicated the motherboard chipset would not support it ...

I am not 100% sure, but I think the CPU is soldered in, not socketed. I have not pulled the heatsink off, but it is definitely not a Socket 370 style HSF retention mechanism, its more like a northbridge heatsink.

The video is ok for 2d, but I would not really go nuts with 3d. It could handle ubuntu w/ beryl alright, but it was not exactly real time.

You always could put in a PCI video card too, like some radeon 9250 or something

ah I see.

Well, I'll probably just install a second sound card to use as an effects loop for my PA System and use the onboard sound to do actual recording, so the 1 PCI extension is pretty much already going to be taken.

I don't think I'd be too crazy about running hi-end games on this system anyways, haha.

The inclusion of DDR ram on this 370 system is interesting though. Incidentally, I just acquired a big stick of 333 ram for free so I'm set...I think anyways.

I was just hoping to use the video to run maybe Unreal or Half-life or something of that era.

Hmm I need to see if I can locate some spare parts and I'll snatch one of these puppies. I want one for a low usage private server that I can remote access to the network.

Wow,

Booted mine up last night

"Impressive" little system..

I installed XP Pro on it and that runs fine, but here are my speculations

Seeing as this C3 800 that it has is usually compared to a 500Mhz P3, I'd have to disagree.

For windows/browsing I think this is quicker (I just got done building a P3 550 system for a friend w/ XP so I'm pretty confident of that).

However, in Half-Life, the video card is waiting on the CPU even at hi resolutions.

So....Anyone remember Wingroove?? The old Midi synthesizer? I still have my registered copy! LoL Which conveniently has a benchmark which compares the speed of your processor to a Pentium 133. My first result was 1.25 x the speed of a 133! I just about started rolling on the floor laughing. All my results since then were about .85 x P133! I dont know if I changed something or just if my first reading was inaccurate, perhaps I dropped too many services for bootup and now performance has decreased?? (Does anyone know of a guide for services that should be left on?)

Furthermore, Wingroove was the only way I could successfully listen to MIDI file. The included software synthesizers were too much for it. Perhaps I would get better performance in 98...but I'm convinced XP will be fine once configured correctly.

Video quality seems good. I know this system is kind of a joke for gaming but half-life looked pretty sweet at least, I have no way to bench the graphics and I cannot accurately judge it based on the fact that my frame rates were identicaly in HL in 640x480 up to 1024x768 which indicates that there is a CPU bottleneck.

Sound card is the bomb! I've been using SB Live! and more recently Audigy SE, I know these also arn't the newest greatest things but in HL the EAX sounded SO MUCH BETTER!! I especially noticed this when underwater! Very good included software (I usually remove all software that is included with soundcards but in this case I felt it was worth keeping!) Using it in 4 channel mode, front connected to pc speakers, rear connected to my stereo PA system! Fun stuff, cannot wait to do some recording!

I was going to add second card to use as an effects loop for my PA but I'll first see if this can actively record the effects which are active

EDIT: Did video bench from old sierra programs, Got 4500 K Pixels/sec. This bench is 2D Bench but is also CPU - Dependant from what I've seen.

Anyone else that has one of these try messing with getting the heatsink off? I really want to look into seeing if a 1 Ghz chip would be possible to get on this...maybe the 256k kind LoL!

update:

Well, actually took the time to seperate the mobo from the case. The cpu is directly connected to the board, so there'll be no upgade coming for this puppy.

BUT, I uninstalled XP and put 98 SE on, I think my install of XP went goofy on me as some things were screwed up ( I knew something was wrong when it couldn't even adequatly play starcraft ) , so here are my new results

Also, I realized my onboard sound had a big impact on CPU so I put SB Live! in the PCI Slot!

Wingroove benchmark gives me 4.54 x P133 CPU speed rating and Sierra graphics test gives me 12700 pixels/second in 16-bit color mode which is a LOT better

Half Life is a ton faster too.

I may try using the onboard sound again as maybe my bad install of XP was just having a hard time with it, I really liked it plus I'd like to use one card as an Effects unit for the loop in my PA.

Heh, I have a working VooDoo2 if anyone wants to buy it off me! Turn this thing into a classic gaming monster. I was really interested in it when I was looking for barebones to put office PC's together with for my work.

Hmm... I shelved my Linux box project because I need, amoung other things, a good UPS and camera, so one (or 2) of these things would be a great for my uses. All I would need is a monitor, but I can pick up a CRT off craigslist.

Can someone post the specs on the psu? The only info I can find is it's total wattage.

This is pretty awesome, might pick one of these up. I wanted to build a small file server, considered using an NSLU2 or something like the Netgear SC101, but considering this is a full fledged system for $75 (I have plenty of spare DDR266), it's tough to beat.

I also have an AthlonXP 1700+ system with a bad motherboard. Does anyone know if I'd see a performance difference between the two as far as file server use goes? I'm a little worried about the CPU, but I figure the HDDs will be the bottleneck anyway.

Looks like the game and serial ports are on a daughter board. It's too bad they didn't just leave those out (or relocate them), ditch a 5.25" bay, and make the whole thing shorter.

[edit]Holy shit, this thing has RAID 0/1? Didn't expect that, thought I'd have to use software RAID. Nice bonus.

Hmm... I shelved my Linux box project because I need, amoung other things, a good UPS and camera, so one (or 2) of these things would be a great for my uses. All I would need is a monitor, but I can pick up a CRT off craigslist.

Can someone post the specs on the psu? The only info I can find is it's total wattage.

What kind of specs are you looking for? There isnt much else to say other then the wattage.

This is pretty awesome, might pick one of these up. I wanted to build a small file server, considered using an NSLU2 or something like the Netgear SC101, but considering this is a full fledged system for $75 (I have plenty of spare DDR266), it's tough to beat.

I also have an AthlonXP 1700+ system with a bad motherboard. Does anyone know if I'd see a performance difference between the two as far as file server use goes? I'm a little worried about the CPU, but I figure the HDDs will be the bottleneck anyway.

Looks like the game and serial ports are on a daughter board. It's too bad they didn't just leave those out (or relocate them), ditch a 5.25" bay, and make the whole thing shorter.

[edit]Holy shit, this thing has RAID 0/1? Didn't expect that, thought I'd have to use software RAID. Nice bonus.

Depending on the OS, you may see a difference. I use mine to run an app called HellaNZB, and its PAR checking and UnRARing is quite speedy, and I use Samba for file sharing which has been flawless.

This is a neat looking/sounding little machine. I've been looking for something to be a fileserver, and am part of the Windows HomeServer beta, but have nothing I'm will ing to sacrifice for it. I even have a Chaintech 710 to offload the sound, if needed... Need ot upgrade mt HTPC hdd anyway... can always upgrade it's RAM to DDR2 (from DDR) by springing for some DDR2-800 to replace my 667...

Damnit, can't think about this, have to throw some cash at the dealer to fix my truck's A/C/cooling!

-bZj

I really hate to jack this topic, but I must know.

What are you going to do with a camera hooked up to a Linux box?

he said he shelved his linux box project, because he needs a ups and camera, I assume he ment by saving money for those two items, rather then spending it on parts for a higher end nix box.

hmm I think I'll pick up one of those, slap gentoo on it and turn it into torrent download 24/7 box, I wonder how azureus would run on this.

Back