ASUS SWIFT PG27UQ

Noted.

I'll keep an eye on it. If the monitor is *that* finicky then so be it. I can deal with that.

That would be a shame since this is the CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD that I just brought in last week for everything.
Is everything plugged into the UPS under the unit's rating (900W)?

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Is everything plugged into the UPS under the unit's rating (900W)?

Yes (if I understand you correctly): My computer's PSU is 850 watts so there's that obvious limit right there.

According to Asus when the monitor is cranking 4k and HDR at full tilt it hits 180 watts.

^^ These two items and a 10 watt or so cable modem are plugged in on the "battery and surge protector" side and everything else is on "just the surge protection" side.

a wall plug power consumption meter might help. kill-a-watt or a bunch of others are reviewed on amazon. Typically $20 - $30 unless you want to go crazy with something high end relaying to an app on your phone or something.

a wall plug power consumption meter might help. kill-a-watt or a bunch of others are reviewed on amazon. Typically $20 - $30 unless you want to go crazy with something high end relaying to an app on your phone or something.

I'll look into it.

In the meantime I felt like I had done my homework well enough when I bought this Cyberpower Unit in regards to this new hardware. I always have had a single GPU setup and always will. Currently it's a single 1080ti on an I7 4770k build. Overclocks are middle of the road.

According to the unit if I play AC Origins with 4k, pretty decent a of eye candy, HDR on... really let it rip my output peaks at 50 percent and I watch the wattage vary anywhere from 430 to 470s. I'll be extremely harsh and round up to 500. Maybe there will be games forthcoming that push that a little higher but likely not very much because I am always going to be dialing in settings to get good frame rates.

It's highly unlikely I ever come close to peak on the 850 watt PSU.

The battery run time with the above gaming situation is 12 minutes. More than enough time for a clean shutdown. This number climbs very quickly while the others drop very quickly the moment I shut the game down and the HDR switches off.

So all told I feel... felt?... like I did well but if I have to take the monitor off then so be it. I can switch it over to "just the surge protection" side or put it somewhere else if I have to. We'll see what happens here.

I've had absolutely no other anamolies of any kind with anything else thankfully.

Overall this has been an absolutely jaw dropping few weeks on this new setup with this monitor. :)

Starting to notice that some games are coming out where their luminance setting does not go high enough for this monitor using a reasonable white point reference. I had to increase the white point reference in the OSD to 186 nits in Shadow of the Tomb Raider with the in-game luminance set to max and the brightness set to the lowest setting. The game still looks decent, but these settings introduced black crush which I'm not happy about. It's impossible to play on "One with the Jungle" difficulty this way, as most items disappear into the background. May just compromise in this instance.

like this
Starting to notice that some games are coming out where their luminance setting does not go high enough for this monitor using a reasonable white point reference. I had to increase the white point reference in the OSD to 186 nits in Shadow of the Tomb Raider with the in-game luminance set to max and the brightness set to the lowest setting. The game still looks decent, but these settings introduced black crush which I'm not happy about. It's impossible to play on "One with the Jungle" difficulty this way, as most items disappear into the background. May just compromise in this instance.

Interesting. Are you referring to HDR on or off here?

Thanks again to you and Vega for your help a few weeks back. I continue to have no problems with this monitor and I haven't looked back.

Interesting. Are you referring to HDR on or off here?

Thanks again to you and Vega for your help a few weeks back. I continue to have no problems with this monitor and I haven't looked back.
HDR on. White point reference replaces the brightness setting in the OSD with HDR on. In RGB or YCbCr, the higher the reference white point is the further blacks are stretched and the more whites are compressed. It makes peak specular highlights less impactful and starts to make greys bleed into black. Reference white on a 1000 nit peak brightness display like this should be 100 nits +/- 10 (it's set to 80 by default on this monitor).

This is probably going to be an issue until DirectX and Vulkan include a way to get the HDR range from the attached display like it does supported resolutions and then the game can automatically set the correct luminance range.

like this
HDR on. White point reference replaces the brightness setting in the OSD with HDR on. In RGB or YCbCr, the higher the reference white point is the further blacks are stretched and the more whites are compressed. It makes peak specular highlights less impactful and starts to make greys bleed into black. Reference white on a 1000 nit peak brightness display like this should be 100 nits +/- 10 (it's set to 80 by default on this monitor).

This is probably going to be an issue until DirectX and Vulkan include a way to get the HDR range from the attached display like it does supported resolutions and then the game can automatically set the correct luminance range.

I'm glad it's not just me. I feel like HDR is finicky on this title. Now I understand exactly why.

I'm glad it's not just me. I feel like HDR is finicky on this title. Now I understand exactly why.
Which doesn't make sense to me when it was amazing with Rise on the Xbox. To be fair, this is the only newer title so far where I've run into issues with HDR. I want to try AC Odyssey tonight, so we'll see how that goes.

like this
Which doesn't make sense to me when it was amazing with Rise on the Xbox. To be fair, this is the only newer title so far where I've run into issues with HDR. I want to try AC Odyssey tonight, so we'll see how that goes.

Origins looked amazing and wasn't finicky to me for whatever that's worth. I'll be interested to see what you turn up. I'll be playing Odyssey myself likely this evening as well.

I'm starting to believe the issue is wider spread than this because I'm at 120Hz 4:4:4 and I'm here to tell you this is happening to me. This is if I'm using "use Nvidia Color settings" vs "default" whatever that means. Obviously if I do that I'm back to RGB although things look a lot more "normal" when I do that vs "excessively dark."
YCbCr444 will result in black crush even at 120 Hz. YCbCr anything will use the BT.1886 gamma curve.
Also, 4:4:4 is not RGB - it's YCbCr444. Subsampling is not possible on RGB so there is no such thing as RGB 4:4:4 - it's just RGB.

I have developed an apparent issue with this monitor. It showed up suddenly this morning.

A thin green line going up and down the screen. It's a bit right of center. I have done every conceivable troubleshooting step imaginable. I did factory reset several times. Unplugged and replugged it after some lengthy breaks. Swapped cables. Swapped inputs. Change settings. Changed power sources. You name it.

I am under warranty with ASUS with means RMA and repair. Any other ideas or suggestions before I get into this? It's a real shame to see it. Bad luck I suppose. I've had a great time with it for 13 months. This isn't a good feeling.

Damn I had that happen with my 21.5" Asus from 2011 had to trash it but my line was a horizontal I heard it could be from a ribbon falling off the back of the inside.
Or just a set of lit pixels in a row. Don't try to fix it yourself by flexing it just send it back. Maybe buy another cheaper monitor while waiting for it to come back.

like this
Back