Asus SuperComputer

lathode

[H]ard|Gawd
http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=9ca8hJfGz483noLk

asus.jpg

DO WANT.

Last edited:
Oh my. That is some serious hardware right there lol...you could keep your 3 way SLI for gaming, and still have 4 GPU's crunching CUDA lmao....

A folders dream.

I would still rather have a dual-socket LGA1366 board though.

Space for SLI, a 'quality' LAN card, a good RAID card, and a sound card. All can run PCI-e. Plus it's Asus, so you know the cooling is going to work...

pointless for gaming, perfect for folders......

I couldn't disagree more.

However, this boards dual nForce 200 MCP's are really not going to give you a performance boost. All they will do is create latency. They just multi-plex the PCI-Express lanes in the chipset. In any case, this board is fantastic for virtually any purpose except for maybe overclocking. I like how legacy slots have been left off of it.

Only issue with this board is that it is SSI CEB, so your normal ATX case will not fit it.

Tri SLI and CF ready and it's gamer ready enough. Latency on NF200's is, from testing, not very dramatic. A couple fps here or there, not much when you have this much GPU under the hood. And since there are NF200 boards like the classified running dual 295's we also know that NF200 on top of NF200 works (again with a small penalty).

So while I don't think you want to run 295's on this board, it seems fine for almost anything else.

Tri SLI and CF ready and it's gamer ready enough. Latency on NF200's is, from testing, not very dramatic. A couple fps here or there, not much when you have this much GPU under the hood. And since there are NF200 boards like the classified running dual 295's we also know that NF200 on top of NF200 works (again with a small penalty).

So while I don't think you want to run 295's on this board, it seems fine for almost anything else.

Why would it not be ideal for two Geforce GTX 295's? Its fine for anything. You said yourself that the nForce 200 doesn't really create enough latency to be concerned with. (I agree.)

Can we start banning people that ask this already?

And 295s are obligate dual slot cards anyway...
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

I couldn't disagree more.
...They just multi-plex the PCI-Express lanes in the chipset...

Do you have the technical details here? I mean i figured NF200 did something along these lines but is it just multiplexing with twice the reference clock that normal PCI-E has (which requires the receiving bridge to keep up?)

Anyways, I donno about this board for folding. Every implementation of the GT200 (or GT200b) h.as required dual-slot cooling (understandable for 150W+), which leaves you with the G92... a chip I think everyone's no longer as fond of anymore, and one which doesn't fold as well as I'd like. Ideally I think 8 HD4850's would be a folders dream but how well is that going to play with the chipset/drivers...

It will probably cost $300 or more.

HAH. I can clearly remember 680i debuting and you saying "$300 for a motherboard is rediculous". These days $400 consumer grade motherboards aren't that far fetched. This thing will go for $400+.

And i might end up buying one Q_Q...

so I can fold and play Zelda: Majora's Mask on Project 64...

Last edited:
Do you have the technical details here? I mean i figured NF200 did something along these lines but is it just multiplexing with twice the reference clock that normal PCI-E has (which requires the receiving bridge to keep up?)

Anyways, I donno about this board for folding. Every implementation of the GT200 (or GT200b) h.as required dual-slot cooling (understandable for 150W+), which leaves you with the G92... a chip I think everyone's no longer as fond of anymore, and one which doesn't fold as well as I'd like. Ideally I think 8 HD4850's would be a folders dream but how well is that going to play with the chipset/drivers...

HAH. I can clearly remember 680i debuting and you saying "$300 for a motherboard is rediculous". These days $400 consumer grade motherboards aren't that far fetched. This thing will go for $400+.

And i might end up buying one Q_Q...

so I can fold and play Zelda: Majora's Mask on Project 64...

The nForce 200 MCP can not add PCI-Express lanes. No matter what they do to try and mitigate the latency, it will always be present. The block diagrams for nForce 200 MCP equipped X58 chipsets are pretty clear. The nForce 200 MCP interfaces with the X58 chipset through the PCI-Express lanes. Thus, you are always capped by the X58's native PCI-Express configuration. In short there really is no reason to have an nForce 200 MCP equipped board.

Image taken from this source:

http://www.pcper.com/images/reviews/613/diagram2.jpg

diagram2.jpg

You can see that the nForce 200 MCP's use two PCi-Express x16 links to communicate with the X58 chipset. Thus, you will always be constrained by the PCI-Express lanes native to the chipset.

Well I remember thinking that $200 for a motherboard was ridiculous. I wanted an i875P chipset based board and that's what they cost at the time. Eventually, you get used to it or you learn to make due with less or fewer upgrades. In any case I'm thinking that it won't go above $350.00, but who knows what Newegg and others will charge. It may very well hit price points about $400.00 or so. The EVGA X58 3X SLI (non-nForce 200) is $399.99 and the nForce 200 version is $429.99. So enthusiast level boards are easily reaching $400 price points these days. So who knows?

I'm guessing $550...

I'd love to have one though...it just looks so cool with all pci-e slots, and I could finally use a bunch of SAS disks I have sitting around ;)

They should at least anodize the heat fins like the P6T6.

And frankly because of the possibilities we need to see how Asus broke down the lanes before we'll know enough. The P6T6 is a good design but the last slot is X4 off the X58 and it also has two full on 16x lanes if you don't occupy slot 2. It remains to be seen if the P6T7 will do anything similar. Latency from the NF200's may not rob you of a lot of FPS because today's and likely tomorrow's GPU's don't saturate 8x 2.0 PCI-e. But it might influence responsivenes from a LAN card or RAID card, which is what a lot of high end "workstation" designers will be concerned with.

Also the location of the X58 NB is different in location which may affect clocking and performance.

Have to see it in a lab to be sure!
Oh and need a manual that we can examine the lanes on the slots.
Right now the P6T6 looks better, and might perform better at the loss of one slot.

I still hate the fact that ASUS isn't using locking right angle SATA ports like EVGA does.

I hate that too. Had to quit using all of my locking sata cables with my latest Asus mobo.

badass mobo

msrp $450
release date may 19th

im really considering this one

Back