Asus Strix Soar vs Creative SB Z vs ??

Koween

Limp Gawd
Hello everyone. I'm thinking of buying a dedicated sound card, but where I live there aren't that many options. Anyway, I'm pretty much choosing between Creative SoundBlaster Z and Asus Strix Soar. I coulf also pick up a used Asus Essence STX for the price of the Strix Soar. Maybe the higher tier cards are worth the money (STX ii, ZxR, Strix DLX)? It will ve mainly used for gaming, as I listen to music through my receiver which is connected via HDMI. Currently using HyperX Cloud 2 headset and the included USB dongle.
Stuff like external volume controls are not needed.

What features are you looking for when gaming? For me, the reason to get a creative card is the down-mixing. I like having the ability to take a 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1 source and have it downmixed into stereo that provides VERY good surround while using headphones. Some games already provide a very good stereo option so there is a bit of trial and error per game but it is a very nice option to have. Another option you might consider is an X-Fi Titanium, or even an older X-Fi if you have a traditional PCI slot handy. The X-Fi cards give up nothing compared to the Z series despite being older. The Creative Z series (which do their processing in software) uses a technology called SBX Pro Studio to handle down-mixing / up-mixing. The X-Fi cards (which do their processing in hardware) uses a technology called CMSS-3D to handle down-mixing / up-mixing. They are similar but not the same, and some prefer one or the other. Personally I prefer CMSS-3D.

What features are you looking for when gaming? For me, the reason to get a creative card is the down-mixing. I like having the ability to take a 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1 source and have it downmixed into stereo that provides VERY good surround while using headphones. Some games already provide a very good stereo option so there is a bit of trial and error per game but it is a very nice option to have. Another option you might consider is an X-Fi Titanium, or even an older X-Fi if you have a traditional PCI slot handy. The X-Fi cards give up nothing compared to the Z series despite being older. The Creative Z series (which do their processing in software) uses a technology called SBX Pro Studio to handle down-mixing / up-mixing. The X-Fi cards (which do their processing in hardware) uses a technology called CMSS-3D to handle down-mixing / up-mixing. They are similar but not the same, and some prefer one or the other. Personally I prefer CMSS-3D.
Well, honestly - I'm not sure what features are needed because I have no idea what is useful, available and actually good - there are so many things that makers boast these days that it's hard to figure out from all the marketing whether or not it's actually good.
The reason why I want to buy one is that I noticed while playing CS:GO that there seems to be no difference whether the sound is coming from the front or from the back. So, I suppose, that's where some proper surround down-mixing would come in. The dongle on HyperX Cloud 2 has something like that, but it sounds quite bad and I doubt that a dongle will be close to a dedicated sound card. Also, I expect better sound quality in general.
Anyway, it has to be a PCI-E x1 card as that's the only slot left accessable. I can't find any used X-Fi Titanium cards for sale. So, my choices, pretty much are Xonar Essence STX (used), Essence STX 2 (used, twice the price of Strix Soar), Sound Blaster Z, Asus Strix Soar, Asus Xonar Phoebus. I am currently leaning towards the Strix Soar - it's the newest and the only two reviews I can find (kitguru and another one on a Russian site via google translate) seem to praise it and it seems to be pretty close to STX 2 (better price/performance?).
I find this to be a very complicated subject - for things like graphics cards I'd just look at the FPS on games I play, price and driver support and be done with the choice. Here things get a bit tricky. The fact that most of the internet seems to not give a damn about sound cards doesn't make it an easier choice.

Last edited:
I just got my strix soar. It is great! I'm not so much as audiophile, only been playing around with preset mode and I like it. For some unknown reason (I guess my MB on board chip is bad) I used to pick up radio signal broadcast and I had a lot of AC hum, even touching the speaker jack wire would give static sound. All of that stuff went away with strix soar...a bonus i suppose.

The Asus Strix Raid DLX, on paper, has some really impressive hardware. (But then again, so does the Creative Sound Blaster ZxR, the HT Omega eClaro, and the PowerColor Devil HDX). The ESS stuff the Strix sound card line is using is pretty good, with the DLX being just a hair or two shy of super good (it is using the older 9016 DAC instead of the top-grade 9018). The software that ASUS is using looks a lot better than their earlier efforts, as well.

I am currently using a HT Omega eClaro, and have owned a Sound Blaster Z, HT Omega Claro Halo, and some other cards as well.

Well, the only ones available in Norway (or at least the only ones I can find) from the ones you mentioned are the Creative Z/Zx/ZxR and the Asus Strix line. I'm currently leaning towards the Strix DLX. Maybe I won't hear much of a difference, but I might as well buy the best one available - it may prove itself if I decide to change my headset in the future. Also, the headphone out seems to be much better on DLX than the Soar.

Yes, go with the Raid DLX if you can get it. And put down your impressions here as well -- the reviews I've read about it seem to be no more than touched-up "press releases", more often than not.

Ordered the Raid DLX. Might as well get the best as it will probably be good for many years to come... I'll let you know how it goes.

Hello everyone. I'm thinking of buying a dedicated sound card, but where I live there aren't that many options. Anyway, I'm pretty much choosing between Creative SoundBlaster Z and Asus Strix Soar. I coulf also pick up a used Asus Essence STX for the price of the Strix Soar. Maybe the higher tier cards are worth the money (STX ii, ZxR, Strix DLX)? It will ve mainly used for gaming, as I listen to music through my receiver which is connected via HDMI. Currently using HyperX Cloud 2 headset and the included USB dongle.
Stuff like external volume controls are not needed.

If you are connected by HDMI to a receiver then a soundcard does precisely NOTHING for you. Functionally nothing.

All the stuff your soundcard is built and has an expensive price tag to do? When connected via HDMI is completely bypassed. Faux surround sound usually sounds like crap, IMHO.

If you are connected by HDMI to a receiver then a soundcard does precisely NOTHING for you. Functionally nothing.

All the stuff your soundcard is built and has an expensive price tag to do? When connected via HDMI is completely bypassed.

It didn't sound like he was gaming via his receiver, just that he listened to his music via his receiver. He also said that he is currently using a headset connected via USB, so sounds like he is definitely toggling between the outputs depending on his usage, no different than he would with an internal soundcard.

Currently using HyperX Cloud 2 headset and the included USB dongle.

It didn't sound like he was gaming via his receiver, just that he listened to his music via his receiver. He also said that he is currently using a headset connected via USB, so sounds like he is definitely toggling between the outputs depending on his usage, no different than he would with an internal soundcard.

A headset connected via USB bypasses the soundcard as well. Unless the OP is planning on having hardware outputs patched into the soundcard like he presently isn't doing....a soundcard is pointless.

All a hardware soundcard serves as when using HDMI or USB output is a DSP adding effects....which by and large sound like crap almost universally.

My STX has virtual surround, I never turn it on when gaming as simple stereo sounds better.

A headset connected via USB bypasses the soundcard as well. Unless the OP is planning on having hardware outputs patched into the soundcard like he presently isn't doing....a soundcard is pointless.

OR maybe he is just going to use the available analog inputs that the headset also comes with?
rolleyes.gif

My STX has virtual surround, I never turn it on when gaming as simple stereo sounds better.

Well I have an X-Fi Titanium HD and I find 5.1-7.1 downmixed into Stereo via CMSS-3D to be absolutely fantastic for positioning when using headphones. In terms of upmixing stereo sources into virtual 5.1-7.1, I'd agree that is typically "less useful".

OR maybe he is just going to use the available analog inputs that the headset also comes with?
rolleyes.gif

I suppose someone makes a stereo mini 1/8" TRRS-> 1/4" TRSx2 splitter somewhere...maybe. Yay for bizzarro standards.

No, he can't just plug that headset into a soundcard analog jack.

I suppose someone makes a stereo mini 1/8" TRRS-> 1/4" TRSx2 splitter somewhere...maybe. Yay for bizzarro standards.

No, he can't just plug that headset into a soundcard analog jack.

Actually he can, and the audio will work just fine, but the microphone won't. As far as the adapter needed to make the microphone work also, they aren't exactly rare or hard to find...

7" Headset/ Mic 3.5mm Stereo TRRS Female to 2-MaleTRS iPhone to PC cable Adapter
12.5" Headset/ Mic 3.5mm Stereo TRRS Female to 2-MaleTRS, iPhone to PC cable
3.5mm TRRS 4-Pole Female to Male Y adapter Mic&Audio Cable Cell Phone Earbud PC
3.5mm Stereo TRRS Phone Outlet Jack to Mic Headset PC Red Green Adapter Cable
3.5mm Stereo Socket TRRS Earphone to Mic & Headset PC Red Green Adapter Cable

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Guys, relax. When I'm watching movies I'm using my receiver via HDMI. When I'm gaming I'm using my headset. The headset will be connected to the sound card via a splitter, to get microphone + headphones working. The stock HyperX Cloud 2 USB dongle has popping issues, so I used the headset via a TRRS 4pin to 2x 3pin splitter. Worked well, but the splitter broke (sometimes one side wont work), so I just switched to the USB dongle.
And thos splitters are a bit difficult to find, because there are two different standards (one is iPhone and the other is android). The ground/mic pins are different between the two.

Ok, so, new post. Received the card today. Compared it to my USB dongle that came with the HyperX Cloud 2. I know these aren't audiophile grade headphones, but as far as I know they are quite good. Anyway, listened to some music (FLAC) switching back and forth. There is a difference, clearly. I'm not an audiophile, but I used to work with car audio and had a chance to listen to some SQ installs, as well as SPL, work on them as well. Probably don't know enough, but still, want to share my point of view.
First of all, the table-top sound control box is (while unnecessary) quite well made. Rubber feet are sticky, hold it in placethe knob is nice to use. I do wish I could buy the sound card without it, as I can't see myself using it (have a sound control knob on a keyboard) and it would probably shave off some of the price. It connects with a thick cable, thick as a HDMI cable (has a HDMI connector on it as well). It's a bit too thick, doesn't allow me to position the controller exactly where I want.
Sound quality is nice. Sounds much more balanced, more detailed. HyperX USB dongle, while sounds OK for most people (I was OK with it myself as well) is obviously outmatched here (duh) - it sounds as if it focuses on lower frequencies and the very high. Which means it sounds a bit too bassy and very harsh at the higher end. The Raid DLX, in comparison, sounds nice and soft, without anything standing out as too much. In that sense I am pleased with the result. Was it worth the money? Probably yes, but sound quality is very hard to quantify.
I will update later after I play some games.
EDIT: Played some CS:GO, tried virtual surround. Works quite well, sounds from behind sound more bassy, positioning works well. What I didn't like was the fact that it gave sounds much more "distance". Shots/steps further away are now much quieter than before in stereo. Maybe it's possible to fix it with some EQ tweaking or some other settings.

Last edited:
Back