Asus Strix 980 one fan issue?

Copyright

Supreme [H]ardness
This might be normal.. when I boot up the PC one fan will stop and the other keeps spinning until I get into the OS and then both stop. Both start spinning when it gets under load so it appears fine when I get into windows. Also the heatsink feels a little loose on this thing.. anyone else notice that on thiers? I can kinda shift it around.

The fan thing is normal on these as far as I know. As for it being loose can't help you on that sorry

The first one I got, a 970 though, the fans did sometimes seem to operate independently of each other. And as you say, the entire heatsink could be 'twisted' a few millimeters in either direction. Returned it for issues of occasional massive bouts of coil whine when first turning the computer on.

The second on I got, still a 970, the fans never operated independently but were louder (more of a grinding sound signature) than the first one. As far as twisting the heatsink on this one, I can't be sure because I didn't try, but I got the feeling that this one was somehow more 'solidly' built. Unfortunately, I started getting random flashing dots on any open windows (more noticeable on msi afterburner), which I guess indicates bad memory. Eventually far cry 4 wouldn't even run anymore, just crashed; used to run on this card though. So back it went.

Now waiting on arrival of third card.

Well my temps are perfectly fine and when I get into the OS the fans work with each other perfectly. Just a weird thing booting up one of them will stop spinning.

Well my Strix 980 does the intermittent fan thing as well. However since it died last night it is a moot point for me.

I was playing Black Ops 2 when the screen went black for a second then came back on with some artifacting on the screen. That was also when I smelled something burning :eek:

Did an immediate power down/unplug. Fortunately it didn't damage anything else and my comp is running fine with my old 670 atm.

I am currently waiting for RMA instructions from Asus.

Mine only did the one fan thing on bootup. Is that the only time yours did it? I swear they dont get enough pressure with the heatsink. Mine moves very easy but temps are fine.

Back