ASUS Striker as Newegg

Which CPU coolers do you use with this board? I have a Scythe Ninja on the way but reckon that it won't fit due to the size of those heat sinks. They look a lot bigger in real life. :rolleyes:

I used the Zalman CNPS9500 LED...it fit and mounted well. There is a pic with the 9700 earlier in this thread. I chose the 9500 because of the lighter weight plus I am not an extreme oc'er so the few degrees of cooling difference didn't matter to me. It's running at 27C idle...haven't had a chance to do much more with it...its a Christmas present for my son and I can only work on it occasionally...lol.

Will the Thermalright Ultra-120 heatsink fit this motherboard without touching the giant heatsink on the side?

I never understood why everyone gets riled up about $300+ mobo's, while people spend $1000+ on processors and $600+ on video cards. I mean, the motherboard is the base for the ENTIRE system, shouldn't it be the ONE component that you splurge on? I'm not trying to start a war here, just trying to understand, cause i'd have no problems payign $400 for a board if I knew the quality was absolutely top notch (which I think is the case with this one).

Vegasr said:
That is the reason I am waiting for the Striker. EVGA is not in the mobo business and support for their 680i won't be as good as a mainstream mobo manf. I read somewhere that EVGA has to partner with Nvidia to get a bios update.
I just question the longevity of support on Nvidia's reference 680i mobo that EVGA is selling.

The good thing is that the board EVGA is selling seems to be rock solid and is recommended by many.

This is the reason I am waiting for Asus or Abit, the Evga and BFG is anything but stable.

I've had my EVGA board up and running for almost two weeks now and everything went very well. Very stable and no sound trouble with X-Fi. Overclocked 6800 to 3548 with default voltages. Asus board definitely looks interesting.

So what exactly makes these boards so special that justifies its $400 price tag?

Eagle156 said:
So what exactly makes these boards so special that justifies its $400 price tag?

The Striker Extreme is currently selling for $400. The eVGA is around $250.

"Worth" is highly subjective, however I will say after owning an eVGA and now running a Striker Extreme, there is no contest. The build quality and stability of the Asus board is outstanding. Just look at the fragile build quality and cheap use of capacitors on the eVGA and you will plainly see. The Asus board has many fine features that, to me, made it well "worth" the investment. While the rear LCD display is somewhat of a gimmick, the LED lighting system and easy to reach push button power, reset, and clr cmos buttons have already proven to be useful.

The Asus board also utlizes very high quality, low-clearance capacitors all over the board. No way you could accidently pop one off. The 8 phase power and extensive heat pipe network also keep is nice and cool. Not to mention the 3 extra temperature probes that you can place anywhere. I've already put them in strategic locations for my watercooled setup.

These are the features that I've found to be very nice and that I've yet to see any other board offer.

I agree, my striker extreme setup was the best I’ve ever done with no issues what so ever. The only issue is the IDE placement, however I’ve ditched IDE all together so it doesn’t apply to me. Also the 12V rail is constantly stuck at 11.64V and doesn’t move at all. 1333MHz FSB on my E6600 straight out of the box and SLI EPP set my Corsair 6400C4 timings at 4-4-4-12-1T, I’am concerned the 1T will screw things up somehow at I thought 1T wasn’t supported on Core2Duo CPU’s.

How would 1T screw anything up? Ideally 1T is better than 2T.

Skott said:
How would 1T screw anything up? Ideally 1T is better than 2T.

its rated 800MHz 4-4-4-12-2T, I dont understand why the board is preseting to 1T. EPP is enabled by the way.

wow is seems this thread is still going!

AppaYipYip said:
The Asus board has many fine features that, to me, made it well "worth" the investment.

please tell me them, im sure everyone would love to know????

honestly no MOBO is worth 400 bucks. no matter how cool it looks. Unless it comes with onboard XFI, WIFI, and tons of LEDs. But that keychain that comes with it man....i just gotta have one o dem.

I like Asus and all, but my eVGA 680i board is rock solid stable. With the PCI Latency tweak on my X-Fi I don't get any sound crackle or stutter. My system is blazing fast at stock speeds, I haven't even started to OC the E6600 yet. Hell, I may not have to, the system is so quick stock (though, I am sure I will :p). I just can't justify 400 bucks for a board when my 250 dollar 680i board is kicking ass and taking names.

please tell me them, im sure everyone would love to know????

honestly no MOBO is worth 400 bucks. no matter how cool it looks. Unless it comes with onboard XFI, WIFI, and tons of LEDs. But that keychain that comes with it man....i just gotta have one o dem.
I'll never understand why some people get so angry and combative just because some people value things differently than they do.

I'm waiting for the final review from [H] (initial reports on OCing haven't been good). But if this board OCs as good or better than the eVGA, I'll be upgrading because:

1. Asus build quality.
  2. "8-phase cap-less power design."
  3. Good luck with Asus in the past.
  4. No resistors on the back of the motherboard around CPU.
  5. Nice LEDs (blue) that can be turned off.
  6. All-copper passive cooling.
  7. Dynamic DTS (converts your audio to a DTS signal).
  8. Various other bells and whistles.
So, you can probably take all those individually, and crap all over them. Good for you. But taken together, those things equal value to me and many others. And, since I've already spent $260 on a bare-bones motherboard, selling it and spending another $100-120 for a premium one does not seem crazy to me.

The need to crap on things like this says more about the people doing the crapping than it does about the product or the people purchasing it.

H

Hurin said:
I'll never understand why some people get so angry and combative just because some people value things differently than they do.

I'm waiting for the final review from [H] (initial reports on OCing haven't been good). But if this board OCs as good or better than the eVGA, I'll be upgrading because:

1. Asus build quality.
  2. "8-phase cap-less power design."
  3. Good luck with Asus in the past.
  4. No resistors on the back of the motherboard around CPU.
  5. Nice LEDs (blue) that can be turned off.
  6. All-copper passive cooling.
  7. Dynamic DTS (converts your audio to a DTS signal).
  8. Various other bells and whistles.
So, you can probably take all those individually, and crap all over them. Good for you. But taken together, those things equal value to me and many others. And, since I've already spent $260 on a bare-bones motherboard, selling it and spending another $100-120 for a premium one does not seem crazy to me.

The need to crap on things like this says more about the people doing the crapping than it does about the product or the people purchasing it.

H

im not angry and combative dude, i STARTED this topic.

I have absolutely nothing agaisnst ASUS, i have tons of their mobos, and they have all worked fine. But they were all $~250, not ~400. And while none of those features appeal to me, i dit not CRAP on the board, i am spelling out that they are overcharging, and you know it. Check some of my other posts in this topic! I actually think the Striker looks dope, and even though the eVGA is not without flaws, you can easliy spend 150 to upgrade some different key components, say a vid card or a processor.

and for the record i cannot remember when 260 was "barebone..."

buffbiff21 said:
im not angry and combative dude, i STARTED this topic.

I have absolutely nothing agaisnst ASUS, i have tons of their mobos, and they have all worked fine. But they were all $~250, not ~400. And while none of those features appeal to me, i dit not CRAP on the board, i am spelling out that they are overcharging, and you know it. Check some of my other posts in this topic! I actually think the Striker looks dope, and even though the eVGA is not without flaws, you can easliy spend 150 to upgrade some different key components, say a vid card or a processor.

and for the record i cannot remember when 260 was "barebone..."
If I'm willing to pay that price, and they sell a lot of them at that price, then they aren't over-charging. Those who aren't willing to pay that price have alternatives. :p

Sorry that I singled you out for "crapping". . . there's been a lot of crapping lately in general on things that are essentially just more expensive than people are willing to pay (8800gtx, etc.). So, my apologies since what you said there was pretty mild by comparison to the true "crapping" that has gone on over the last month or two.

Regarding "bare bones". . . the eVGA is a reference board. . . so I guess I consider it "bare bones" compared to something custom-designed like the Asus or the upcoming Abit and DFI.

The more I think about the striker the more the price of it does put me off a bit... I mean, if it had an onboard X-FI -and- a good onboard hardware raid option (Promise or HighPoint or something decent) then I would not fret... anyways, I am still considering it, but the MSI 680i board is starting to look more tasteful to me... anyways, I am not jumping to SLI again until I know the issues with the 680i chipset and SLI sans audio popping/cracking is fixed. or was that confined to the Foxcon 680i mobo? (eVGA and BFG)

revenant said:
anyways, I am not jumping to SLI again until I know the issues with the 680i chipset and SLI sans audio popping/cracking is fixed. or was that confined to the Foxcon 680i mobo? (eVGA and BFG)
Some dude in a review on Newegg claims to have the popping on the Striker Extreme. Though, of course, who knows how reliable he is.

Why complain?

This is one of the most feature-rich and inclusion-rich motherboards I have ever seen. The manufacturing price would be more than some of the other 680i boards because there is more to it than just the barebones reference boards put out by most companies.

Lets not forget that prices rise on some things. Copper prices have more than doubled in recent years, so there is another bump. The software bundle with this board is almost worth $100.

If you don't want the inclusions that this board has to offer, buy something else. Go buy a basic reference board, and I'll enjoy the e-SATA, LEDs, layout, on-board buttons, microphone, Ghost Recon and other features that make this board WORTH $400.00

I wouldn't waste $300.00 on a reference board made by some video card company when I could have Asus quality for an additional $100.00 You people never complain that a graphic card is worth nearly $900.00, so why complain about a bump on motheboard prices? If you are building a system, what is another $100.00 for all of these features?

Thursaiz said:
You people never complain that a graphic card is worth nearly $900.00, so why complain about a bump on motheboard prices? If you are building a system, what is another $100.00 for all of these features?
Yes, I do...

I find the rising component prices disturbing. I dont think I will ever pay more than $150 for a mainboard and no company will con me out of $650-700 for a graphics card, its getting a little retarded.

After youre finished tweaking, it does the exact same thing as a much cheaper board. Maybe 100mhz faster, the difference is neglidigable. That money you spent on the board to overclock could have been better spent on a better chip.

Sorry, but most of those features are pretty useless and wont see any significant use, outside of "ohhh, thats cool" when you turn it on the first time for the majority of users.

And a $40 portable music player will sound just as good as an iPod. A Geo will get me to work just about as fast as my Z28.

Someone asked "why complain?". . . the answer is: Because people want things that they can't afford. So, they complain and demean those who choose to purchase it.

Everyone would want this board if it were $150. Yet, people who want it and are able to meet the market-set price are somehow idiots.

^^ I echo those sentiments verbatim.. I still wish the striker had a better onboard sound option tho. :)

I actually agree with both Thursaiz and Hurin. Yes... the Striker is expensive. But, we should not expect to pay the same prices we paid 3 years ago for a mobo with the newest technology. Prices of computer technology will increase just like everything else on the market. If some people feel better about paying extra for the motherboard they want... then so be it. I for one would like to get this mobo, despite the higher price tag. But like some others, i might wait a little until the price bottoms out. However, I will not knock Asus if they can get away with selling the board for $399 or whatever the current going price is :)

Hurin said:
And a $40 portable music player will sound just as good as an iPod.
not a very large feat... at all..
A Geo will get me to work just about as fast as my Z28.
I guess if youre pussyfooting it... :p

I hate the whole car analogy. There are many more ways to judge a car and quantify its worth than there is a mainboard - a mainboard does a couple things... runs a CPU (and the other compoents) and has "features" I dont know about you, but whenever they add gimmiky "features" (which, btw, I have bought into) I have used them once, thought it was neat, and forgot about it. I guess all it does is run the components and provide ports, which a $100-$150 board can do just as well as the $400 board. Same cant be said about a 10k car vs 30k car... one is faster, better quality, better driving dynamics, more stable, more passenger room, features (such as power windows, sunroof, shit you use) etc... its much more quantifiable.

Someone asked "why complain?". . . the answer is: Because people want things that they can't afford. So, they complain and demean those who choose to purchase it.
I dont want it, and i'm not demeaning anyone. I was demeaning the price of the board, not those who buy it. There is a difference.

Everyone would want this board if it were $150. Yet, people who want it and are able to meet the market-set price are somehow idiots.
Never called anyone an idiot. People do what they will with their money and that is fine, im sure the things I spend my money on someone would consider too high. I find the fact that any single CPU board costs $400 is rediculous, and I stated as such. I did not say anyone who bought it was retarded, its their money and they can waste it however they want.

lithium726 said:
Yes, I do...
Sorry, but most of those features are pretty useless and wont see any significant use, outside of "ohhh, thats cool" when you turn it on the first time for the majority of users.
A lot of the computer stuff you can buy is a bit over the top. But a lot of other things too, like hi-fi, houses, cars etc. People got money to burn, so they will buy expensive goods. Maybe not because they need them, but because it gives them a good feeling. Just for the coolness factor. Hey, why buy a BMW when a Dodge Neon gets you from A to B too? Or why buy a house with two bathrooms when you can use only one at a time?

roflcopter said:
A lot of the computer stuff you can buy is a bit over the top. But a lot of other things too, like hi-fi, houses, cars etc. People got money to burn, so they will buy expensive goods. Maybe not because they need them, but because it gives them a good feeling. Just for the coolness factor. Hey, why buy a BMW when a Dodge Neon gets you from A to B too? Or why buy a house with two bathrooms when you can use only one at a time?
read my most recent post.

I don't understand why some people so outrage about Asus charging 400$ for the Striker Extreme? Not like this is their only 680i board. They did offer the P5N32-E with a competitive price with the EVGA's 680i board. It can be purchases for 230~250$ at a lot of reputable online retailer if you try to look for it.
P5N32-E is the one should be compare to the EVGA's 680i, and Asus merely offer the "options" for people who wants the extra function for 100$ more. They didn't choke us on the neck and force us to buy the Striker.

enzoshadow said:
I don't understand why some people so outrage about Asus charging 400$ for the Striker Extreme? Not like this is their only 680i board. They did offer the P5N32-E with a competitive price with the EVGA's 680i board. It can be purchases for 230~250$ at a lot of reputable online retailer if you try to look for it.
P5N32-E is the one should be compare to the EVGA's 680i, and Asus merely offer the "options" for people who wants the extra function for 100$ more. They didn't choke us on the neck and force us to buy the Striker.

People aren't saying that. They are merely pointing out that the eVGA board is very solid for 150 dollars less. You can say all you want about the Strikers bells and whistles and pretty sparkles, it's still 150 dollars more expensive than an "average" 680i board. Is it worth it to some people? Probably, and more power to them...but it's not worth it to alot of us, especially those of us who have the eVGA board and are quite happy with it. The Striker is a wicked board, but it's way out of the price range most people are willing to spend on a motherboard. Heck, I remember buying my MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum not so long ago for 180 bucks, and I thought that was high.

lithium726 said:
I hate the whole car analogy.
It's actually pretty apt. Most people who turn up their noses at performance sports cars are essentially saying: "All that money for gimmics and ego-fluffing. . . when my Honda gets me where I want to go just as well." Same thing with a motherboard. . . all you really need it to do is connect up your CPU, RAM, and other devices. But, the enthusiast likes to have something extra.

I dont want it, and i'm not demeaning anyone. I was demeaning the price of the board, not those who buy it. There is a difference.
I did not say anyone who bought it was retarded, its their money and they can waste it however they want.
That's an awfully fine line you're drawing. To repeatedly state that a price is "ridiculous" and "retarded" is to cast aspersions on those who are willing to pay it. If a price is "retarded," only a retard would pay that price. Now, if you were to say: "That price is way too high for me. I'll never buy one". . . that's a statement that doesn't cast aspersions on those who disagree with you and are willing to pay the higher price.

I'm not saying people should get all butt hurt over that sort of language. But when you hear it every day, post after post, from so many people who are (at least obliquely) demeaning those with whom they disagree, you eventually feel like tellling all these people to STFU. :D

Maybe a stupid question but can this board do 'half multipliers' like 7.5? I would like to run it on 7.5 * 400 MHz if possible.

Hurin said:
That's an awfully fine line you're drawing. To repeatedly state that a price is "ridiculous" and "retarded" is to cast aspersions on those who are willing to pay it. If a price is "retarded," only a retard would pay that price. Now, if you were to say: "That price is way too high for me. I'll never buy one". . . that's a statement that doesn't cast aspersions on those who disagree with you and are willing to pay the higher price.

I'm not saying people should get all butt hurt over that sort of language. But when you hear it every day, post after post, from so many people who are (at least obliquely) demeaning those with whom they disagree, you eventually feel like tellling all these people to STFU. :D
It is absolutly a fine line, I will not contest that. Sorry for not being more clear.

Im sure someone would think the money I spend on my car is rediculous, and thats cool. Doesnt mean I am retarded for spending it, and I was not calling anyone retarded for buying the board, simply stating that I find it rediculous due to the number of boards that do *highly* similar things for *much* less money.

It really is a shame people get butt hurt over words, but it seems more and more common on the internet these days...

It's actually pretty apt. Most people who turn up their noses at performance sports cars are essentially saying: "All that money for gimmics and ego-fluffing. . . when my Honda gets me where I want to go just as well." Same thing with a motherboard. . . all you really need it to do is connect up your CPU, RAM, and other devices. But, the enthusiast likes to have something extra.
But here's the thing... Those people who turn their noses, unless they are blind, can see/feel/hear the difference in a sports car, whether or not they would spend the money on it. When I start up my computer, I cant tell if there is a $400 Asus board or a solid $100-$150 Abit/Asus/anyone else who makes decent boards these days.

(and I know I have a Max3, but I paid next to nothing for it ;))

lithium726 said:
When I start up my computer, I cant tell if there is a $400 Asus board or a solid $100-$150 Abit/Asus/anyone else who makes decent boards these days.
That's what the keychain is for!

lithium726 said:
[snip] When I start up my computer, I cant tell if there is a $400 Asus board or a solid $100-$150 Abit/Asus/anyone else who makes decent boards these days.

[snip]

when you look into your pc and see the pretty blue lights, you know they rubbed a little extra love on that board. uhhh huh. ;) heh..

Seriously tho, there is usually a premium associated with the "extreme" or "elite" or "ultra" or "gtx" version of any high end pc part.. and that scale just keep sliding up... there will be those who can't afford it and will wank/cry, those who can afford and still wank/cry, and those who just buy and enjoy it.. anyways.. seems to me we've all been in a thread like this before.. but this time different mobo, higher price..

lithium726 said:
Yes, I do...

I find the rising component prices disturbing. I dont think I will ever pay more than $150 for a mainboard and no company will con me out of $650-700 for a graphics card, its getting a little retarded.

After youre finished tweaking, it does the exact same thing as a much cheaper board. Maybe 100mhz faster, the difference is neglidigable. That money you spent on the board to overclock could have been better spent on a better chip.

QFT

The prices are getting rather stupid for the top end components these days. Granted I have spent my fair share on top of the line purchases a few generations ago, TNT2 Ultra for close to $400 (CDN $$$) Or when the Abit KT7A-RAID SKT A boards were all the rage, and also when the Core Duo laptops came out I jumped on the bandwagon rather early.

As of late (past 2 years or so) being in the loop with hardware and what not I find it hard to spend anymore money than I need too. Maybe its becasue i'm frugal its not becasue I coudln't go out and spend the money for a $400 dollar motherboard I just can't justify that much money when something cheap does EXACTLY the same.

For the comment about 900 dollar gpu setups being the same as expensive motherboards I have to disagree there to a certain point. Spending that much money on an SLI/X-Fire setup is tough to justify unless you have a 3007WFP, BUT you spend 900 bux on 2 gpu's vs say 600 dollars, you see WAY more performance for your dollar. I doubt there would be a noticeable difference in performance in motherboards even if it costs 150 more.

I do agree some people like to flame others becasue they can't afford to get a piece of hardware they want but can't have, its normal human nature. In my mind I often just shake my head at the person that goes "OMFG ROFLCOPTR look at the sweet mobo I bought" only for the bragging or bling factor.

roflcopter said:
Maybe a stupid question but can this board do 'half multipliers' like 7.5? I would like to run it on 7.5 * 400 MHz if possible.

lol in an attempt to change this thread from all this damn debate madness i may as well attempt to answer that.

the evga i have now you can run synchronously or asynchronously (linked or unlinked FSB and RAM frequency)

The ratios are at 1:1, 3:2, and one other i cannot remember off the top of my head. But even if you run asynchronously, you will not lose that much OC potential. (i have heard like < 5%) The Striker may be different... but the same rules apply pretty much. Check the Conroe OC database in this forum, listed under Intel Processors, cuz i have seen some pretty wicked OCs usin the 680i chipset

SILVR 6 said:
QFT

The prices are getting rather stupid for the top end components these days. Granted I have spent my fair share on top of the line purchases a few generations ago, TNT2 Ultra for close to $400 (CDN $$$) Or when the Abit KT7A-RAID SKT A boards were all the rage, and also when the Core Duo laptops came out I jumped on the bandwagon rather early.

As of late (past 2 years or so) being in the loop with hardware and what not I find it hard to spend anymore money than I need too. Maybe its becasue i'm frugal its not becasue I coudln't go out and spend the money for a $400 dollar motherboard I just can't justify that much money when something cheap does EXACTLY the same.

For the comment about 900 dollar gpu setups being the same as expensive motherboards I have to disagree there to a certain point. Spending that much money on an SLI/X-Fire setup is tough to justify unless you have a 3007WFP, BUT you spend 900 bux on 2 gpu's vs say 600 dollars, you see WAY more performance for your dollar. I doubt there would be a noticeable difference in performance in motherboards even if it costs 150 more.

I do agree some people like to flame others becasue they can't afford to get a piece of hardware they want but can't have, its normal human nature. In my mind I often just shake my head at the person that goes "OMFG ROFLCOPTR look at the sweet mobo I bought" only for the bragging or bling factor.

yes i see it the same way . i've bought some $400+ mb's before--but they were for servers and other special applications . it is hard to justify a $250 desktop mb . a $400 home pc mb ? that just sounds more of marketing hype than anything else . as far as the $600+ vga's go . thats iffy as well . what is happening is that the marketing forces decided to push everything up market . what your really seeing with all this inflated stuff is the beginning of the end on the component based pc. the big guys allready see the writing on the wall. so they decided to milk the cow dry . before the whole idea of a componet pc is replaced with simplified propritary unit. they are going to push the market as far as it will go . your likely to see even more -uber-preimum items in the nest couple years. with ever inflating prices. i expect to see some upscale -type MB hit $700 or even more. whats next ? a vercachi designer motherboard ? a rolex mainboard ? don't you just love the way ddr 2 jumped up--when there was finally a reason to buy it ?-- it's grab all the $$$ loot you can while theres a market . next month trash-can it all and by whatever the next uber preimum items are --the hell with the price-- long live visa and mastercard !! LOL i blame alot of this on the six month charge out /easy payment plan's . a $400 mb "only cost $66.60 a month not counting intrest or other charges--lol

Back