Asus Sli Wont Post

Just tried setting up my Asus SLi Rig with a single 6600 XFX Gt pcix card. I boot fans whirl and everything seems ok but I get no post beep. Reading the forums it looks like its my PSU. Its a high quality PSU ive had for many years but sadly only 300w. I was hoping to avoid purchasing a new PSU for the time being but if I must I must. So the question is, is could it be my mboard itself or is it pretty likely I should be upping my PSU.

Thanks

Asus Sli Mboard
3000+ 939
XFX 6600 GT PCIX
1gig Dual Channel
40g Hdrive IDE
DVD, CD-RW drives

I have the exact same problem. I too thought it was the PSU. Tried my current one with no luck. Tried different RAM with the same results. I've narrowed it to the board or CPU which I'm assuming is the board. Going to RMA it tomorrow.

i'm afraid your comp is displaying classic symptoms of a mobo gone south.

Hey man, whats up? Im sorry to hear about your board, but i can tell you what happened to me. My first Asus A8N-SLI board would do the same thing, that is, everything would work.....fans would spin, lights would light up, etc....but i too never got a beep at post and i never got a picture as well. I tried everything, so i finally RMA it and my new board didnt do that, it started right up and everything is fine. I hope you dont have the same problem as me, but i figured id tell you so you dont waist too much time on what might be a bad board.

Thats what I get for ordering it half way across the country. Another week without SLi goodness. Sigh! Thnx for help

Have you tried benching it outside of the case? I've had one board (not this one, earlier build I built for someone else) where the motherboard was shorting on something in the case. Never did find out what, I pulled the board, benched it, then it ran fine, put it back in the case and it POSTed okay. Anyway, what you're describing could also be it shorting on something.

Your PSU to be quite blunt is pretty wimpy for this board though, go to a good 24 pin PSU, maybe about 500 watt and at least 30 amps on the 12 volt rail, despite what ASUS put in the manual. I had some stability issues with a 20 pin PSU, switched to a 24 pin with otherwise the same statistics and all is well.

To ask the obvious just to get it out of the way, did you plug the four pin connector next to the CPU in also? A board that needs that won't post unless you do. Not talking abou the molex one near the video cards, mean the square one opposite of the CPU fan plug connector.

Arvig said:
To ask the obvious just to get it out of the way, did you plug the four pin connector next to the CPU in also? A board that needs that won't post unless you do. Not talking abou the molex one near the video cards, mean the square one opposite of the CPU fan plug connector.

Imagine if thats what it was.....lol.......

Back