Asus sli Deluxe Dual Memory Problem

rpd162

n00b
I finally got my mb up and running but cant get dual channel memory working. I have a stick of 512 3200 xms corsair in b1 slot now but when I add a 2nd 3200 corsair into slot a1 it wont post. I know this memory is good, I just took both sticks out of my working NF-7 Abit mb. I have no drivers installed yet. thanks

do you have a winchester processor? you may need a bios update, just do it with one DIMM installed in B1

Yes it is a new 3500 winchester, just flashed to 1004 bios i will try again. Thanks

Both of these sticks are the same model/type of XMS right? If not you may have to set the RAM timings to the looser of the two sticks (if they are different models.) Are you currently OC'ing your FSB/HTT?

Solutions you are right. I checked the sticks and noticed they have differnt timings. Works fine in my son's computer but the Asus board doesnt like it. I put a gig of Mushkin in mine from son's shuttle and it works fine. Here are the timings Stick 1=2.5 3 3 8 Stick 2=3.0 3 3 8
How do I adjust them so they match and hopefully post? Thanks again.

1st thing to try would be locking your CAS setting to 3.0 and boot and it should work... I'm no RAM expert but I would just set the timings to stick #2's settings (3.0 3 3 8). This however may produce slower performance than running 1 512MB stick of CAS 2.5 memory (will depend on what you are doing).

I would try to get a matching CAS2.5 XMS stick to use instead of that slower CAS3 model.

Unfortunately I dont know what each memory timing in the A8N-SLI board's BIOS stands for. So I don't know what setting is used for each # in the "3.0-3-3-8" formula. I know the 3.0 would be the CAS but thats it....and this Asus BIOS has a lot more than 4 timing settings to fiddle with... If anyone can elaborate I would much appreciate it.

I have the same problem, I have 2 1gb sticks of corsair xms 3200 and I just have em in b1 and b2 right now. It's really an interesting issue.

Is it possible to RMA the stick of Corsair that has 3.0 timings? There suppose to run at 2.5 I thought.

Ronbo said:
do you have a winchester processor? you may need a bios update, just do it with one DIMM installed in B1

You didnt have any problems did you???

rpd162 said:
I finally got my mb up and running but cant get dual channel memory working. I have a stick of 512 3200 xms corsair in b1 slot now but when I add a 2nd 3200 corsair into slot a1 it wont post. I know this memory is good, I just took both sticks out of my working NF-7 Abit mb. I have no drivers installed yet. thanks

I have seen this issue several times lately in various forums and people usually blame it on the motherboard. People tend to forget that the memory controller is totally different for Athlon 64 boards than for Athlon XP's. With the 64's, the memory controller is built onto the CPU, it's not even on the mainboard. The memory controllers are also very picky about the RAM you use when you are using more than one module. They need to match exactly or you will run into this problem.

Back