ASUS Shows Off Z77 Motherboards @ [H]

May pick up a Sabertooth board and a cheap 2700k until the Ivy Bridge chips are ready. Been getting the itch to gut my machine.

Do we have a street date yet? I've heard the boards will be ready before the desktop processors are ready from various rumor sites.

That isnt the same as the Maximus Extreme is it? The "Formula" I mean...I'm waiting for the "Extreme" Version, but if that's it, I may just get the Z68 version, since the specs don't seem too different, aside from the onboard audio I'm not using...

The formula is the mid-range board in the ROG lineup geared more towards mainstream gamers. There will be a Maximus V Extreme for the extreme overclocking crowd.

that itx board is interesting, I am loving my Llano ITX system, was going to build another, may wait a while to see how it performs.

The formula is the mid-range board in the ROG lineup geared more towards mainstream gamers. There will be a Maximus V Extreme for the extreme overclocking crowd.

Awesome thanks! I hope it's not coming too late!! hoping for a launch with Ivy Bridge or a few weeks after

"Fan Xpert 2 controls four 3-pin headers."

I find this a bit lame, as all fan headers should be 4-pin PWM function compliant.

X79 did not feature Thermal Armor due to the already complex layout and tight spacing on the motherboard. In addition we wanted to keep the BOM cost and overall cost to a respective price point. That being noted we maintained the advanced Thermal Radar implementation still allowing for real-time motherboard mapping of temperatures.

Thank you Juan!
Short of mailing Asus I never found a reason why it was absent. Hopefully it will show itself on a later iteration of X79, Rampage, or say an IB-E? :p
Either way my next board will have it, I love the look.
Cheers!

I find this a bit lame, as all fan headers should be 4-pin PWM function compliant.

To clarify all of the 4 pin headers fully support controlling and calibration for 4 pin/PWM fans. In addition the super I/O controller and firmware and required layout have been updated to additionally support 3 pin fans for chassis headers 1-4.

Hope this clarifies things for you.

To clarify all of the 4 pin headers fully support controlling and calibration for 4 pin/PWM fans. In addition the super I/O controller and firmware and required layout have been updated to additionally support 3 pin fans for chassis headers 1-4.

Does that mean that chassis fan headers 1-4 are, in fact, 4-pin? Just that Asus has implemented voltage control in case a 3-pin fan is plugged in?

I wish the Sabertooth & the Maximus V Gene could have a baby.

Maximus with thermal armor would force a new build out of me. Too sexy to resist.

Hell even the normal sabertooth might do that. So slick looking.

I hate this time of year

No eta on mobo releases? Im guessing when IB is out? Torn between an Asus Gene-Z, or a p8z68-v Gen3

But if prices are going to drop on those or/other options for the same ammount i was spending...

Why did they leave out PS2?

That sabertooth looks goofy. How will covering up the board make it run any better?

I think I'll go with the z77 deluxe, looks clean and simple, has ps2, and just as many phases as the ws and sabertooth version.

I'll be in the market for a new MB when IB comes out.

I'm eagerly waiting for a full review. I do have a couple of the same complaints others had - lack of ps2 and 3/8" barbs on the watercooling.

Come on Asus, just give us g1/4 threads and let us provide the barbs.

I'll be in the market for a new MB when IB comes out.

I'm eagerly waiting for a full review. I do have a couple of the same complaints others had - lack of ps2 and 3/8" barbs on the watercooling.

Come on Asus, just give us g1/4 threads and let us provide the barbs.

The barbs only attach to a tube that runs through the heat sink so switching to larger barbs won't allow more flow but for compatibility without the adapters that can make things look cluttered... I can see your point.

The barbs only attach to a tube that runs through the heat sink so switching to larger barbs won't allow more flow but for compatibility without the adapters that can make things look cluttered... I can see your point.

I run 7/16" hose even though the outlet on my pump appears to be 3/8" id which has g1/4 threads. I also use 1/2" barbs so I get a tight fit with the hoses. How much id do my blocks equal? I don't know, but I don't want to have to use adapters or go to smaller tubing (and replace all my barbs) to use the barbs on the MB.

The pump outlet itself may be the highest restriction point in my loop but my loop is still based on 7/16"id hose.

Asus, give us our own choice on barb size.

What is the best guesstimate for ETA of the Asus Maximus V Extreme which I know doesn't exist but if you had to guess kind of thing?

And does anyone think that the gene and or the formula will have comparable built in sound when compared to the titanium HD?

Last edited:
What is the best guesstimate for ETA of the Asus Maximus V Extreme which I know doesn't exist but if you had to guess kind of thing?

And does anyone think that the gene and or the formula will have comparable built in sound when compared to the titanium HD?

They don't know or won't say what sound codec / chip they are going with yet and I heard June sometime for availability of the Formula with the Gene being released first. They said they weren't planning on releasing an Extreme version unless there was a demand for it but with the X79 and the 2011 socket Extreme version, I wouldn't count on the Extreme version with the z77 chipset.

They don't know or won't say what sound codec / chip they are going with yet and I heard June sometime for availability of the Formula with the Gene being released first. They said they weren't planning on releasing an Extreme version unless there was a demand for it but with the X79 and the 2011 socket Extreme version, I wouldn't count on the Extreme version with the z77 chipset.

where did they say they weren't planning on an Extreme version? that's what I'm waiting for! if they arent releasing one, I'll just go with the MIVE or another Z77 board with the specs I need. I don't want the formula, I want me some EXTREME

where did they say they weren't planning on an Extreme version? that's what I'm waiting for! if they arent releasing one, I'll just go with the MIVE or another Z77 board with the specs I need. I don't want the formula, I want me some EXTREME

In one of the Asus z77 mb articles that just came out this week an Asus rep was quoted as saying that an extreme version was not planned unless there was a demand for one. However, and this is my opinion, with the new Socket 2011 and the X79 chipset for the 'extreme ' crowd, the next Formula on Socket 1155 will fit the needs of the upper mainstream well. I don't think they would want to cannibalize their market of an Extreme X79 Socket 2011 with a Z77 Socket 1155 Extreme. If they do decide to come out with one you may be waiting well past June for it.

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/m/marketcannibilization.asp#axzz1oxRhBx42

Honestly I don't think I ever use the extreme features on my Maximus IV Extreme Z. Could someone point them out? It seems to be just a few things I never use.

I'm not really saying I'd use all of the features, but I like the look better, and IMO, it looks higher quality. I also like E-ATX board for some reason, as well as the extra PCI-e slots just in case. At this point, it looks like the ASRock Z77 Extreme9 is my board unless Asus pulls an extreme out in the next month and a half

can we expect the Gene to come out at the same pricepoint as before? Didnt it launch at 190?

And I notice these don't list sandy bridge support anywhere. I highly doubt that.... right?

I am glad there are no more legacy ports. My X79 build uses the P9X79 PRO which has no PS/2, no IDE, no floppy, no PCI, etc. All modern I/O is used instead (USB, PCI-E, SATA, etc)

I am glad there are no more legacy ports. My X79 build uses the P9X79 PRO which has no PS/2, no IDE, no floppy, no PCI, etc. All modern I/O is used instead (USB, PCI-E, SATA, etc)

why would you be glad for the exclusion of a port that is still common? Even if you don't use it, it doesn't hurt anything. Lots of us still have very high quality ps2 keyboards.

why would you be glad for the exclusion of a port that is still common? Even if you don't use it, it doesn't hurt anything. Lots of us still have very high quality ps2 keyboards.

I'd rather that motherboard space be used for something cooler like msata/mPCI or built-in Wi-Fi or what not I don't need PS2 and I certainly don't need IDE. And there're plenty of USB to PS2 adapters.

There is certainly a market for some boards with legacy ports. But not for my upper Z77 boards or better sockets. That's enthusiasts territory and we want to go forward not backwards. However I understand that you just want to be compatible with what you have that's understandable. My filco keyboard which is the pinnacle of keyboards is USB so I really don't see the need for PS2 anymore. Unless you're rocking like an old IBM buckling spring board.

I think the problem for me comes in the fact that by supporting everything legacy eventually reach a point where it gets cluttered and I'd rather just focus on the new. It's not like they're ever getting rid of USB so pretty much unless you have an old PCI card or something like that what are you losing here?

Last edited:

Does that mean that chassis fan headers 1-4 are, in fact, 4-pin? Just that Asus has implemented voltage control in case a 3-pin fan is plugged in?

Still wanting an answer to this. Juan, where are you?!?!? And why in the world is Asus (or any MoBo manufacterer, for that matter) STILL using outdated 3-pin fan headers, or even 4-pin but without PWM? I have my suspicions, but I just would like a definitive answer.

Still wanting an answer to this. Juan, where are you?!?!? And why in the world is Asus (or any MoBo manufacterer, for that matter) STILL using outdated 3-pin fan headers, or even 4-pin but without PWM? I have my suspicions, but I just would like a definitive answer.

Look at the pictures.

All of the fan headers i can see are 4 pins. What the Fan Xpert lets you do is have speed controls for both 4 pin and 3 pin fans connected into the headers. So if you have a 4 pin fan, you can use pwm. If you have a 3 pin fan, you can use voltage control.

Plus how are 3 pin adapters outdated? The vast majority of fan manufacturers use 3 pin fans. Hell, even most fan controllers are 3 pin and voltage controlled. PWM speed controlled fans do not hold much ground at all in the enthusiast market.

Kyle, the Z77 Deluxe has some kind of fancy board with capacitors plugged/soldered above CPU/RAM slots, can you tell me what's that thing without breaking NDA? Because I've never seen such thing on mobos.

From screens I guess it's extra VRM set for extreme OC, but still, it's kinda weird idea. I won't ask you, how it influences airflow, but when you review it, could you check how it will obstruct CPU cooler space, or how it influences airflow?

Plus how are 3 pin adapters outdated? The vast majority of fan manufacturers use 3 pin fans. Hell, even most fan controllers are 3 pin and voltage controlled. PWM speed controlled fans do not hold much ground at all in the enthusiast market.

They are outdated because a 3-pin fan can be connected to a 4-pin header and still be controlled BIOS/UEFI, thus negating the need for any 3-pin headers to be present on any motherboard.

Why limit the choices and options for the customer?

http://www.cyberguys.com/product-details/?productid=4850

Get one of these (or hey, several) and never worry about needing a PS/2 port on a mobo ever again. Geekhackers have been purchasing them for years for older keyboards. Some have even integrated them into their boards...

http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:6872
Bluecube gets my vote as well.

I have 3 Asus P67/H67 motherboards and ALL of them do not work properly with my IBM Model Ms when using the PS/2 port. It's not only Asus that fails with these older keyboards. Other companies like Gigabyte are also slacking in the PS/2 department

I too enjoy and own several quality mechanical keyboards. Thing is, they are now available with usb, and as posted earlier I'd rather the space be use for more modern ports.

I'm pretty sure you can't get full n-key rollover with a USB keyboard. Also there's some small amount of latency which doesn't exist with a PS2 keyboard.

Back