ASUS Sabertooth X58 + G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 $289.98 Shipped

Dang, this board must either be really new or slipped under my radar completely when I was shopping around for x58 boards. I would have rather had this one than the Asus P6X58D-E that I ended up with.

Good find OP

Wowza. This looks like such a nice deal. Wish I had an excuse to build a computer right now.

booger green, beige, and red ram sticks?? better keep that case close :)

haha, good deal otherwise.

Wowza. This looks like such a nice deal. Wish I had an excuse to build a computer right now.

I can make plenty of them for you if you like? Are you married or single? Employed or unemployed? 18-25 years old, 25-35 years old, 35 years old +? With just those 3 things I can make more than 100 excuses!

Mine might simply be because this board looks cooler than the one I bought. Now as for the first question, my wife would kill me. I am working so I can afford it. And I fall between 25-35 so I must be in some demographic for this board. See, I have 2 out of the 3!

this is so tempting to upgrade to an i7 build.

if this is still around on friday/saturday i may have to jump on this deal.

How are both those parts? I love both brands, but is that a high quality mobo? Is the RAM high quality as well?

Also, are there any good combo deals like this for the i5's or the P55 chipset motherboards?

Last edited:
I've seen this thing @ Fry's and it looks quite a bit better in person. It's a very solid looking board. Layout's near perfect. It needs a rear CMOS reset switch as well as onboard power/reset buttons though.

Jon55: The RAM's CL9 and definitely budget priced. But it IS G.Skill, so you never know. If I had chosen to stick w/ i7, I'd of gotten their more flexible PI sticks. Lower voltage, better CL, easier to mess around with. Board is rad though. Lot's of egg reviews have good oc's on it. And I think our very own loco_lobo? has thrown down some numbers in the Sabertooth thread.

olive drab and desert MARPAT tan:p

Asus X58 Semper Fidelis?

How are both those parts? I love both brands, but is that a high quality mobo? Is the RAM high quality as well?

There are a few favorable reviews floating around the net. If it is typical Asus then it should prove to be solid long term. And the G-Skills are also very solid without going crazy into the reviews and (often non-considered) comments from the buyers on Newegg. It would be a great combo although horribly color coordinated. :D

Good to know, and I don't really care about the matching colors thing anyway. It seems like every manufacturer for every part likes to put random shitty designs all over their products (GPU makers especially), so color coordination is something I'll happily give up for a better price.

Alright, but it's gonna run slower.

That guru3d review is shit BTW. Who buys a budget X58 board and pairs it w/ a 980X? Oh, that's right...no one. Should have been tested w/ 920/930/950 for max bclock. Should have been tested w/ high speed RAM's like 2000+. Should have listed all voltages it would have taken to get there, w/ and wo/ 2000+ RAM. Should have compared against other $200 boards instead of the monster Gigabyte. What's its favorite food? Should have had a comparison of all temps, including MB, and whatever else was there. Should have had OC lock and reboot behaviors listed. Does it wig out and do I need to get in there w/ the jumper if it does? Where are the "will it fit" mount testings w/ popular heatsinks?

Alright, but it's gonna run slower.

That guru3d review is shit BTW. Who buys a budget X58 board and pairs it w/ a 980X? Oh, that's right...no one. Should have been tested w/ 920/930/950 for max bclock. Should have been tested w/ high speed RAM's like 2000+. Should have listed all voltages it would have taken to get there, w/ and wo/ 2000+ RAM. Should have compared against other $200 boards instead of the monster Gigabyte. What's its favorite food? Should have had a comparison of all temps, including MB, and whatever else was there. Should have had OC lock and reboot behaviors listed. Does it wig out and do I need to get in there w/ the jumper if it does? Where are the "will it fit" mount testings w/ popular heatsinks?

Jesus, not everybody can be that [H]! It was the first one I saw and skimmed through to see if they found anything glaring like piss poor bios setup or horrible oc results. I do agree that the setup was pretty freaky, like putting a V12 in Ford Mustang. (Don't analyze that too much, you get my point)

what do you think of this deal with the microcenter i7 950 for 229.99. what is a badd A** video card to pair it up with a nice deal just a single for now gtx 470 any nice nice deals and what about a solid PSU. Will it hit 4.0ghz without any stress and any cooler recommendations. just sold my i7 920 gateway and need an excuse to build a unit. I am using a 920xm in my laptop currently so like the ability to overclock and tweak

$200 for i7 930 from Microcenter
$260 for GTX 460 SLI
$290 for this deal

Total is $750 and the SLI is better than a single GTX 480.

$200 for i7 930 from Microcenter
$260 for GTX 460 SLI
$290 for this deal

Total is $750 and the SLI is better than a single GTX 480.

Its going to have to be around $285 for the GTX 460 SLI. The current offer for the 130 GTX 460 is 1 rebate per house. Unless you have 2 address, its going to be 130 for 1 GTX 460 and 155 for the other.

Who buys a budget X58 board and pairs it w/ a 980X?

What makes you call this a budget board? Everything I've read about this board, including ASUS's own marketing literature, indicates this board was designed to be extremely reliable and durable, more so than their other X58 boards. It may not overclock as well as the more expensive boards but I would hardly call it budget.

It was the first one I saw...
Aside from a couple Asian reviews, its the only one. I couldn't even find more than one oc result here, xs, ocf, or overclock.net.

GTX 460 SLI
And that's my only real gripe with this board. Top card is going to roast like Turkey dinner. Would it have been that hard to move the 2nd pcie down a slot? They obviously tested with sli. Did no notice the bottom cards PCB gettin busy with toppies fan?

What makes you call this a budget board?
It was a poor choice in words. I simply meant that it was among the least expensive X58s. However, I think I'm going to retract that comment in leu of this lil Guy. The 5 year warranty alone puts it above any other board IMO. That its mil components might allow for an easier oc as seen by some of the egg reviews make it that much better. Its a really impressive board and the one I would choose if I went X58. But after a few days with an i7 930 and the giga ud3r, I decided the extra heat wasn't worth ht or trip chan.

Its going to have to be around $285 for the GTX 460 SLI. The current offer for the 130 GTX 460 is 1 rebate per house. Unless you have 2 address, its going to be 130 for 1 GTX 460 and 155 for the other.

Of course I have two addresses. :)

$155 for a GTX 460 1GB? :eek: Where did you find this? I can't find them anywhere for less than $215. Or is this a Microcenter only thing? Because if so that would be a shame, as the closest thing to me is Fry's.

I don't see 1GB anywhere in Kaze105's post. He must be referring to the Zotac 768 on the egg that's $130AR.

Oh man, Jon, doesn't it suck having a Fry's instead of a Microcenter!!! Have you been to one? It's amazing. They have an entire isle dedicated to water cooling, more GPU coolers than Fry's has CPU coolers, 100 different types of fans(including all the awesome Scythes), and friggin' RAM out in the friggin' open instead of on a bigass wall of stickers w/ wrong prices and 1/2 of them aren't in stock!

I don't see 1GB anywhere in Kaze105's post. He must be referring to the Zotac 768 on the egg that's $130AR.

Oh man, Jon, doesn't it suck having a Fry's instead of a Microcenter!!! Have you been to one? It's amazing. They have an entire isle dedicated to water cooling, more GPU coolers than Fry's has CPU coolers, 100 different types of fans(including all the awesome Scythes), and friggin' RAM out in the friggin' open instead of on a bigass wall of stickers w/ wrong prices and 1/2 of them aren't in stock!

I guess I wouldn't know since I've never lived near one that wasn't 2 hours away.

Ah, he must have been talking about the 768MB version then?

Who buys a budget X58 board and pairs it w/ a 980X? Oh, that's right...no one.

Who buys a 980X? Heheh. Probably not very many people. I sure wish that lower end six core would have been somewhat closer to the $500 or even $600 mark than it is. Tough to stomach for the extra two cores, unless you really really need it.

Techreport has a review up. There sample had the pwc based realtek solution, but I swore I read specs of the pcie chip on there. Anyone else confirm?

Just thought I would add - there's also a combo deal right now with the Sabertooth + I7 950, -$35. Not too shabby for those without a Microcenter nearby! Just ordered a combo tonight.

Back