ASUS Sabertooth P67 Motherboard Review

Nice review once again, this is a nice solid board for the 200 price range.

review said:
5.25GHz CPU speed and 1960MHz memory speed with 105MHz base clock

With TurboV EVO v1.00.70 program? :eek:

When will Asus make this available for download on their support site?

will cleaning out the dirt be a b*tch on this type of layout?

Yep I have this board it works well. No problems with temps from the thermal armor but then I have a nice big 24 inch box fan always blowing in on it.

The only problems I have had are related to Western Digital hard drives. I have a 400GB WD4000YR and a 3TB WD30EZRSDTL that refuse to work on the P67 controller. The 400GB drive refuses to partition and the 3TB drive always shows up as 750GB. If I do nothing else other than switch those two drives over to the Marvell controller then they both work correctly again.

At the same time my 1TB WD10EACS and 2TB WD20EARS work just fine on the P67 controller.

Western Digital tech support blames my problems on Intel drivers and Asus EFI. Yet I had the same problem with my P35 board and the 400GB WD4000YR. I didn't try the 3TB drive on the P35 board though.

i've been using the sabertooth for the past couple months and have had variety of small but annoying issues with it. i think some of these issues come down to the thermal armor and heat issues....i'm not using a downward blowing cpu heatsink and fan, and had been running the board without a 50mm assist fan.

i did put one on this weekend though and the noise was too loud for me and the additional cooling results, for me, were fairly minimal. I was looking at anywhere from 3-5 degrees cooler with the assist fan. the whole thing annoyed me enough that i decided to go pick up a p8p67 evo board and i swapped it in my system yesterday. I'm still running some tests and am hoping the evo works a bit better for me than the sabertooth. on paper the sabertooth sounds great, but the thermal armor to me is a bit of a gimmick along with the lack of a 50mm fan. i've been running boards without a thermal casing on it and they've done just fine for years, i feel like i bought into the hype a little bit and don't quite see the advantage of the thermal armor.

Nice, but why but P67 when Z68 is the chipset from now on?

Kind of a waste.

I have had this board for several weeks now and just love it. I had it stable at 5.1Ghz at just under 1.4V but settled on 4.8Ghz for 24/7 at 1.34V.

The fan control works great on this board-as I have a Sunbeam Rheosmart attached to the CPU fan header and all those 3 pin fans are essentially acting like PWM fans. Very quiet, almost silent but at load it goes balls out.

The audio sounds good for onboard-with no static or clicking sounds when playing music or in games.

I love in the bios the feature that lets me go into setup and just boot from an external device without changing settings. Just select it and it boots to it right away. I didn't have that feature on my last board.

I have not tried the auto OC features because part of the fun for me is tweaking and "auto" takes the fun out of it. I am impressed it auto'd in the review to 5.0Ghz-very impressive.

Now I knew about the fan assist when I ordered the board so I added a 50mm fan to the cart for an extra $5. It really does a great job and is not audible above the rest.I agree 100% with the review-they should have added the fan since builders will want to add one most likely. The board also looks great with windowed cases and good wire management.

Um, it's been out for a while. In fact, [H] is using an older build. The latest is 1.02.34. -Download Link-

Nice! Thanks! :)

Edit: Have you gotten this to work on a Sabertooth p67 board? I get a "TurboV does not support this model". Sabertooth isn't supposed to have turboV chip and not supposed to support turbov, which is why I asked when v1.00.70 will be available. Obviously, they have a version that works with Sabertooth.

Last edited:
Is there going to be a Z68 Sabertooth? If there is then I skip this. I have been and AMD user since my 286 @ 8mhz iirc. But I'm thinking about going with Intel if AMD has problem with BD. Then my decision will be Z68 or socket 2011. It will probly be socket 2011.

OK, so the goal here is to provide cooling (well, provide the potential for cooling since dumb shits at Asus didn't provide a fan) for something that doesn't need cooling?

What's next? Can I get some thermal armor for my, uh, my driveway? I could use some additional cooling on that mofo. Temps go up to 180 on that thing on a hot summer day. I sure could use a big ass duct over it so I could blow some air across it. Of course, it wouldn't help me park my car faster or do anything faster, well, I guess it would help me spend my money faster. That about sums up this board.

I was reading about the overclocking - did you guys test overclocking with and without a thermal armor fan? I read through that section and I didn't see you mention it. Or more to the point - does lowering the temp of arbitrary parts of the motherboard do one damn thing for us at all, or is it literally as useful as pointing a fan at my driveway in the summer?

Other than a stupid gimmick that needlessly lowers temperatures that have no need for lowering, and the fact that the jerks as Asus didn't include a fan, it looks like a very nice enthusiast class motherboard.

Thanks [H].

Nice! Thanks! :)

Edit: Have you gotten this to work on a Sabertooth p67 board? I get a "TurboV does not support this model". Sabertooth isn't supposed to have turboV chip and not supposed to support turbov, which is why I asked when v1.00.70 will be available. Obviously, they have a version that works with Sabertooth.

Oh crap, for some reason I thought this was the review for the Evo board. *bonks head*

Try this link. I have no idea if it will work or not.

I own the B3 version of this board and really like the layout. It is one of the few boards out today that allowed me to install a Killernic, my gtx580, x-fi and I-ram. I am a sucker for gimmicks....

I was able to hit 4.8Ghz OC on my setup with 1.4v but backed down to 4.6Ghz at 1.35v.
No matter what voltage I use, tried upto 1.5v, I cannot get higher than 4.8Ghz on my cpu.

What's next? Can I get some thermal armor for my, uh, my driveway? I could use some additional cooling on that mofo. Temps go up to 180 on that thing on a hot summer day. I sure could use a big ass duct over it so I could blow some air across it. Of course, it wouldn't help me park my car faster or do anything faster, well, I guess it would help me spend my money faster. That about sums up this board.

Plant some shade trees. This cooling method, while maybe new to you, has been around for millions of years. :D

I have this board and the 50mm fan was a cheap shot. Why not just leave out teh crappy SATA cable and give me a $2 fan?

I bought what I thought was a good fan from NE (was there most expensive anyway) and before I even got the damn thing installed a wire broke off the fan rendering it useless. Wire basically broke off motor and there was no soldering that could be done. JUNK!

Love the board. Runs my i7 at a cool 5.0GHz at 1.415v

I had this board. It would not load the BIOS and proceed to boot when I had a platter based drive attached to it. I tried all sorts of combinations but no dice. I tried another Asus P67 board as well with no love. In the end I returned it and stuck with my 1366 setup. The ASUS forums are full of similar complaints although ASUS tech support said they had never heard of this problem.

I'm glad the [H] got a working board for their review.

Kind of a waste.

Sweet Jesus people are so quick to discard things ASAP when anything else is available. For a lot of people Z68 is just paying more for features they have absolutely no interest in using.

Sweet Jesus people are so quick to discard things ASAP when anything else is available. For a lot of people Z68 is just paying more for features they have absolutely no interest in using.

QFT ^^

This was my initial pick of boards when the first sneak peaks of Asus P67 boards were coming out. I ended up getting the P8P67 Deluxe instead because of the layout of the pci slots. In this board I woudln't be able to fit my sound card as I use 6950 crossfire. Perhaps when I go full cover water blocks it'll fit just fine but It is still hard for me to currently budget for the water cooling. It's still coming soon.

I only read the Conclusion / Thoughts (as I usually do with reviews that don't interest me - not currently in the market for a new mobo) and realized you guys desperately need a proof reader / editor.

The board's layout and design are among the best I've seen from ASUS, and the innovative Thermal Armor full board overlay seems to have made the only worrisome hotspot, the CPU.
huh?

What this is a shroud that fits over the almost the entire motherboard surface
:rolleyes:

ASUS mentioned two issues as to why this is so. 1. They fan would raise the cost of the product
:confused:

So pretty much the design sucks, since there is not fan included with it.
:(

I ran it under full Torture Test load conditions for three days without issue, and a lot of the temps on the board surface where in excess of 80c when it was all said and done.
:mad:

I stopped reading after that to make this post... those were some pretty elementary mistakes in just a couple of paragraphs - I did not check the rest of the article. Kinda disheartening to see so many mistakes from such a "serious" source.

Kind of a waste.

What's the reason for the P67 review?

Pretty sure if people RTFA the answer is there on the conclusion page.

To start with, this board review was done in January of this year. Then we all know what happened. The P67 chipset was recalled due to the SATA controller going south on some of these boards. The B3 version boards are now back out on the market and all that SATA stuff has been cleared up. We did not see much reason in publishing motherboard reviews that you could not buy at the time. Now you can though.

The only problems I have had are related to Western Digital hard drives. I have a 400GB WD4000YR and a 3TB WD30EZRSDTL that refuse to work on the P67 controller. The 400GB drive refuses to partition and the 3TB drive always shows up as 750GB. If I do nothing else other than switch those two drives over to the Marvell controller then they both work correctly again.

Maybe it is something with the way Asus implemented the BIOS or something to do with the chipset? I have a Hitachi 3TB drive and an Asus P8P67 Pro, and I also had to use the Marvell controllers otherwise I was unable to create any partition on the drive. BIOS and Windows would see it fine, but going to create a partition, and it errors out. Switching to the Marvell controller immediately fixed that problem.

First off I am a cooling nut. I have fans everywhere in my cases. That being said I noticed one comment on your review. You said there were no good down force cooling solutions for I7 CPU's. (paraphrasing here) I bought the Noctua NH C14 specifically for this board. It is a dual down blowing heatsink with dual fans and got a lot of great reviews. So... I am looking forward to this build and getting some nice OC'ing for my folding farm.

I also plan on adding a 50mm fan. Yes this will probably be overkill but I like as much cooling as I can get.

I think the shrouding should give me some great cooling with all the airflow I will have through it. I am really looking forward to building and oc'ing this board.

Thanks for the review.

Rick

Hrmm wondering how they got the Auto Tuning tab to show in Turbo V EVO... I tried some newer versions from the ASUS website and get a "Turbo V EVO does not support this model" message when trying to use it on my Sabretooth P67...

Nice review of an awesome board.

Kinda wish I could have kept my P67 Sabertooth but couldn't justify it at the time.

I would say the overwhelming majority of users here have no use for the integrated GPU or SRT. Most users here are already booting with SSD's and the power saving features of using the integrated GPU with a dedicated card comes with a performance hit from the reviews I have read.

This makes Z68 almost useless unless you can for instance get a Z68 Sabertooth for the same price as a P67. I don't recall if there is even a Sabertooth model for the Z68.

Kind of a waste.

Honestly, Z68's feature set doesn't have anything on P67 for many enthusiasts. I couldn't care less about the iGPU features 90% of the time. I'd only care in about that in an HTPC system. The Intel Smart Response Technology doesn't really do jack for you if you have an SSD for your OS. So again, why pay the price premium of Z68 (even though it's minimal) over P67 when the added features won't benefit you?

Is there going to be a Z68 Sabertooth? If there is then I skip this. I have been and AMD user since my 286 @ 8mhz iirc. But I'm thinking about going with Intel if AMD has problem with BD. Then my decision will be Z68 or socket 2011. It will probly be socket 2011.

I just built a z68 system, as our lounge PC, am typing this on it. Everything works - the overclocking on these 1155 c/sets is insane:eek::eek::eek:)- nearly all HDDs I have are WD, work fine in AHCI mode as well, installed IRST(intel rapid storage tech) driver - gave me another AHCI driver and a nice little GUI - no plans to add a small SSD to do SRT, just getting a bigger SSD:rolleyes::cool:. Mine is a Giga Z68X UD4b3 - I needed the PCI slots for s/card and TV tuna;)..

BTW, nice article guys, I like black(with a bit of red thrown in:rolleyes::rolleyes:) boards though;););) black is beautiful:D:cool::cool: be good Kyle, may the force be with U...and u, Amen oh, and Dan, I tend to agree, Z68 has nothing 'new' that matters, I bought mine because it was there(at the PC parts place) and I felt adventurous - don't normally buy Giga boards..and it was the same price and featureset as the giga p67 Ud4b3 ...:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::cool::cool: And....it's black!!@!!!!

Last edited:

Kind of a waste.

It's not. Z68 is not replacing P67 at all. It's simply an additional product in Intel's chipset lineup.

not sure if I like the dimm sockets, I have the same ones on my X58 sabertooth and if not careful it's easy not to fully seat the memory and will cause weird problems. found out the hard way, board was only seeing 2 out of the 6 gigs i had installed at first.:eek:

just bought this board yesterday and so far so good. still running stock but that won't last long.

i have a side 200mm fan on my case so i hope that will cool the mobo fine.

my only complaint is rather large but why do they insist on putting the second pcie gpu slot so low on the board. i basically had to choose between crossfire and having my front usb/power led. idiotic design if you ask me and it's not the first time. my p6t had the same problem if i ever wanted to triple gpu. i guess it's partly ati's fault for making these massive shrouds but on a board with only 2 pcie x16 slots they had far more flexibility to position them better.

oh ya. if i put the ram in the slot closest to cpu socket the fan on my true basically sits on top of the ram.

edit - forgot another MAJOR complaint. no matter the usb setting my g15 keyboard will not work in bios. i literally have a ps2 keyboard sitting next to my computer for when i need to get to the bios. i also tried another older logitech usb keyboard with no luck. the mouse works fine however so once i'm in it's not a problem.

Last edited:
Hrmm wondering how they got the Auto Tuning tab to show in Turbo V EVO... I tried some newer versions from the ASUS website and get a "Turbo V EVO does not support this model" message when trying to use it on my Sabretooth P67...

I too am getting the same message.
The review and the screenshots clearly demonstrate that there is some combination of bios/turbov evo versions that let you run turbov evo with this board.

Can the authors of the review please point us in the right direction?
TurboV Evo makes life so much easier.

Also, if anyone can share thoughts about o/cing this board with an i7 2600k and a Corsair H70 cooler, I woule appreciate it. The last machine I o/ced was an AMD FX60 :p.. been a while and the amount of options is staggering. For now I'm running it at stock to rule out any SSD issues, but once the Vertex 3 proves stable, I'll start tweaking.

Thanks!

i7 2600k @ stock for now
Asus SB P67 bios 1304 for now
Corsair H70
GTX260 sp216
GSkill F3-16000CL9D-4GBRH @ 1866mhz, 1.6v (default XMP profile)
Thermaltake Toughpower 700W
OCZ Vertex3 240GB 2.06
2x WD Caviar Black 1TB
Asus Xonar D1
Antec 902

Last edited:
Seriously! How did you get TurboV working? I have been trying to use all of TurboEvo except for the one you guys used as I did not find on the net.

my Sabertooth P67 is not working at all
only get a red VGA led light and 1 long 3 shoot beeps
its a GTX295 gpu
rma the card got a new one
same shit on this one
so ill rma that one to and go for Asus P8P67 EVO or change brand to Gigabyte GA-P67X-UD3-B3
the fun part is if i try another gpu HD4850 its runs just fine no issue at all ....

Seriously! How did you get TurboV working? I have been trying to use all of TurboEvo except for the one you guys used as I did not find on the net.

It is very misleading to have information which is not correct. I have asked before how you got it to work and no answers were given. I and other people have tried to get TurboV working but still has not got it to work. I have just got far enough to see multipliers etc in TurboV but not able to overclock with it. I hope you remove TurboV overclocking from your review as it is not doable for consumers.

It has just caused me frustation.

Back