Asus Sabertooth 990X and voltage issues?

MiG29TangentBoy

Limp Gawd
One of my colleagues has recently upgraded his gaming rig (990X with latest BIOS, FX-8150, 16 GB GSkill Sniper memory, EVGA 550 Ti, Antec Earthwatts 850 watt psu), and it has a very peculiar problem: the VDDA voltage slowly drops over time until the system shuts down. It starts off at 2.5 volts, but goes down upon system stress tests (mostly OCCT)...the Asus monitoring software pops up a warning when it gets to about 2.2 or so, and once it gets to 2.0 it craps out. I'm rusty with the newest AMD stuff, so I'm not sure what to check/modify in the BIOS to resolve it. System is stock for everything, no OC. I set the VDDA and NB volts up a bit, didn't seem to matter. Temperatures do not appear to be an issue.
Swapped in a Silverstone 750 watt, does the same thing. But I wonder...should this system have a power supply with a single huge 12 volt rail instead? The Antec has four rails @20, and the Silverstone has four rails @18. My only other theory is that the board is somehow defective. Anyone with insight into this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :D

Don't use any other monitoring software at the same time as AI suite - that includes CPU-Z, Hwinfo32, Aid64 etc. Might be listing all the settings you are using here for more insight as to what is really occurring.

just in case have him check for a bios update. bios would be the first thing i'd suspect but thats an odd issue none the less.

It has the latest 0901 BIOS. The system is 100% stock, except for the bumped VDDA and NB voltages. It has a fresh Windows 7 64bit install. It's fine when idling, but stressing it will lower that VDDA until system shutoff. In fact, when I first checked out the system, the Windows Experience Index wasn't run. It shut off when it got to the CPU tests. Jacking up the VDDA helped it get through that, but it can't go 15 minutes with anything else stressful before the Asus Suite pops up the low VDDA warning, then poof when it gets below 2.0. I'm kind of afraid to put up any more voltages, there are a few that I'm not sure that they do (I haven't had an AMD rig since socket 939, can you tell?).
It's a weird one to be sure. I might just have him contact Asus directly for further support. Thanks for your help.

Sigh....I saw 990x and thought this was an Intel extreme edition CPU and this was posted in the wrong forum...

Sorry, meant 990FX, my bad.

I had started MemTest yesterday, and came in to find the system had shut off sometime in the night. Looks like an RMA will have to happen if it can't even run MemTest! Thank you all for your help.

I would RMA to the vendor before going to Asus if you are still within the vendor's return timeframe...

Just saying I've heard some frustrating sounding stories dealing with Asus and their RMA process...

It has the latest 0901 BIOS. The system is 100% stock, except for the bumped VDDA and NB voltages. It has a fresh Windows 7 64bit install. It's fine when idling, but stressing it will lower that VDDA until system shutoff. In fact, when I first checked out the system, the Windows Experience Index wasn't run. It shut off when it got to the CPU tests. Jacking up the VDDA helped it get through that, but it can't go 15 minutes with anything else stressful before the Asus Suite pops up the low VDDA warning, then poof when it gets below 2.0. I'm kind of afraid to put up any more voltages, there are a few that I'm not sure that they do (I haven't had an AMD rig since socket 939, can you tell?).
It's a weird one to be sure. I might just have him contact Asus directly for further support. Thanks for your help.

There is no need to increase VDDA or Northbridge voltage on a stock system. Shutdowns are generally caused when the onboard heatsinks are not cooled or if the system is not fully stable. As we have very little info to go on, it is difficult to diagnose. Your will need to supply all relevant information when attempting the RMA if the RMA dept is to find the fault.

Head over to the ROG forums and check the UEFI guide for the Crosshair V Formula for information on voltages and what they do.

-Raja

yeah i'd definitely say thats RMA worthy.. also just as a backup if you have an extra PSU try using that and see if it solves anything.

oh wait nvm thats right you tried two of them.. so scratch that, i'd RMA it..

Last edited:
Back