ASUS RT-N66U is dropping connection

ClutchAutomatic

Limp Gawd
I was wondering if anyone has some insight to my issue. I have the ASUS RT-N66U connected to a Motorola SB6141 modem using charter communications as my ISP. Maybe 2-4 times a day the internet would drop out. I am not talking about wifi not working, I am hard wired to the router and wireless devices connected and wired devices act the same way when the connection drops. It pretty much brings me to the router set up screen and say it is connected whenever I would try to open up a web page. The way I am able to solve the connection issue is to unplug the cable from the router and plug it straight into my laptop and the connection is good I can open up a web page. Then I have to unplug it from my laptop and then plug it back into the router and everything is good again. What would cause this issue?

Off the router I have a 4 port switch and a TEW-637AP to extend my wireless connection, but this fails when using the same SSID or a different SSID for the AP.

Don't know... sounds kinda like a DNS issue.

You need to test this further.

Next time is occurs...

Verify that you can ping the router
Verify that you can ping the next interface up which is the IP address given to the router by your provider.
Verify that you can ping that IP's gateway...usually located at the ISP.
Test for DNS resolution via command line. Google is your friend here.
Looks for error rates in the connection debug on the router for the WAN side.

In the meantime upgrade your router's firmware to the merlin edition

http://www.lostrealm.ca/tower/node/79

Its almost identical to the factory firmware with the exception that merlin is often 6 months ahead on fixing bugs.

Note sure what you are saying but you should probably be using a different SSID and channel for the second AP.

Have you tried just resetting your modem when this happens? You should be able to do that from either a web page that your ISP would provide with their setup info (which you should also be able to see the status of your connection to your ISP, so look for any warnings there), or you could unplug it, leave it unplugged for 2 minutes, then plug it back in.

The Zoom 5341J is the only cable modem that will automatically renegotiate and reconnect without being restarted. There's a bit of a fan club for this model over on broadband reports.

The Motorola SB6141 is a fast sexy beast, it just doesn't renegotiate the line if anything resets on the ISPs end until the ISP sends the reset command.

Also there's two links for the Zoom 5341J modem on Amazon. One of those two links takes you to the older 5341 modem which does not renegotiate line issues. The other dead giveaway is that it's half the price of the other (correct) link.

Here is the correct link for reference: http://www.amazon.com/Zoom-5341J-Do...TF8&qid=1398781643&sr=1-7&keywords=Zoom+5341J

Walmart has it even less expensive as commenters on amazon have noted: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Zoom-Telephonics-DOCSIS-3.0-Cable-Modem/19592603

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I had the same issues with this router and Charter, only I was using a 6121 modem. One thing was to set the router mode to Normal, it's defaulted to Aggressive. This is in the router setting but I can't remember where. I think it's the DHCP setting.

I actually ended up returning it and getting a Netgear which has improved the situation. I believe Charter uses Netgears when they supply the router so seems a good match. I do prefer the Asus router interface better but I need a connection.
Ah, found the thread I used at for this problem: http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/archive/index.php?t-12435.html

There were also some issues on this router with loose WAN ports causing a disconnect that are discussed in that forum as well.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
I had the same issues with this router and Charter, only I was using a 6121 modem. One thing was to set the router mode to Normal, it's defaulted to Aggressive. This is in the router setting but I can't remember where. I think it's the DHCP setting.

I actually ended up returning it and getting a Netgear which has improved the situation. I believe Charter uses Netgears when they supply the router so seems a good match. I do prefer the Asus router interface better but I need a connection.
Ah, found the thread I used at for this problem: http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/archive/index.php?t-12435.html

There were also some issues on this router with loose WAN ports causing a disconnect that are discussed in that forum as well.

Hope this helps!

Funny.... Merlin, then guy who writes the merlin firmware responds to that discussion with a solution he incorporated in the merlin firmware.

after you install the merlin firmware, and login to the router, under WAN settings change your WAN IP to DHCP....just as you would expect to. Then look for: WAN -> Internet Connection page, in the Special Requirements From ISP section.

Change that to = Normal
The default setting is = Aggressive

That resolves the Charters disconnect issue.

Yup, he posts all the time in that forum. I tried the Merlin firmware as well as changing the DHCP setting. Neither got it done to my satisfaction.

The Netgear R6300 has been much better...not flawless but better. I really think this is due to Charter more than anything.

Yup, he posts all the time in that forum. I tried the Merlin firmware as well as changing the DHCP setting. Neither got it done to my satisfaction.

The Netgear R6300 has been much better...not flawless but better. I really think this is due to Charter more than anything.

Did you try the zoom 5341J modem?

Yeah, I just tried the resetting the router and the connection came back. So I guess I need a new router then.

Funny.... Merlin, then guy who writes the merlin firmware responds to that discussion with a solution he incorporated in the merlin firmware.

after you install the merlin firmware, and login to the router, under WAN settings change your WAN IP to DHCP....just as you would expect to. Then look for: WAN -> Internet Connection page, in the Special Requirements From ISP section.

Change that to = Normal
The default setting is = Aggressive

That resolves the Charters disconnect issue.

Not seeing the setting to change WAN IP to DHCP
I was only able to change it to Normal

Evidently there are multiple behavior dependancies with charters flakey system

Part of the issue is created by the router, which merlin fixed and you just implemented.

The second part is a behavior that the modem does that causes the same outcome.

Did you try the zoom 5341J modem?

No, AFAIK Charter won't let you use your own modem anymore. You have to lease one from them that is "free" (righhhttt). I think this was effective June 2012 for anyone that got new service or who had a promotion that expired...so basically everyone.

Back to topic...I agree with Mackintire that the modem (supplied by Charter) is possibly the culprit along with Charter's request bursts also.

Last edited:
Okay its been 24 hours and I didn't have a problem with having to reset the router. This morning it crapped out as soon as I went to pull up an internet page. I reset the router and nothing. Turns out I had to reset the modem this time. I tried the ipconfig with it hardwired to the modem before and it was not getting a signal. Rebooting the modem fixed it this time.

Okay its been 24 hours and I didn't have a problem with having to reset the router. This morning it crapped out as soon as I went to pull up an internet page. I reset the router and nothing. Turns out I had to reset the modem this time. I tried the ipconfig with it hardwired to the modem before and it was not getting a signal. Rebooting the modem fixed it this time.

It still sounds like a bad handshake between your modem and ISP. Have you contacted them? Sometimes it can even be a network hardware issue. Our ISP made some changes to the local distribution box when they turned on a new connection on our block. What they didn't do was boost the signal sufficiently to that point such that each connection had a good enough signal to keep a reliable connection. Ours would go in/out until we contacted them and the cable company addressed the problem. I'm not saying that this is exactly what is happening to you, but don't discount a problem on the cable company's side.

Just to revisit this issue, every thing was up and running fine for at least 2 days and when it went out, I had to do the router quick set up to get the router working.

Back