Asus RT-ac66u 100% cpu, no clients

kandor

Gawd
Despite power off, or reboots I can't seem to fix this - as soon as it turns on it's at 100% and hot, hi 70's. Is there a way of finding out what process is having a problem? This router is in AP mode, so I don't get what the problem is.

Do you have a USB drive plugged into it? Supposedly a corrupt media file or similar can cause the media server on that router to get stuck in a loop trying generate thumbnails or something like that.

I know that router also had a bunch of remote vulnerabilities, but that was fixed in the latest firmware, and in AP mode it shouldn't be a problem anyway.

Hi, no nothing plugged in, I only use it for AP, it's been doing this every week or two for the last month. Last time only changing the firmware seemed able to reset it. Thanks!

Well, if I switch it to router mode, cpu usage avg. is 3%, In ap mode it's 98-100%. I tried every option I can think of. I switched from merlin back to asus firmware, no difference. I turned off 2.4 and 5 radios. Each radio reduces cpu by about 25% so you end up at 50% doing nothing. There is something wrong with these routers in AP mode.

I'm not home so I can't check, but I have a RT-N65U in AP mode with stock firmware that has run flawlessly since I set it up. I would wager that you either have a broken unit, or more likely you have one obscure setting ticked somewhere that is causing it.

Being Broadcom you're pretty much stuck with what you have, only Atheros/QCA and Mediatek have stable wireless open source drivers. Might be something to have in mind next time shopping. You can try to downgrade the firmware and see if it helps.
//Danne

dd-wrt see if it happens?

I have that on mine, but can not switch to AP mode to test :(

Hard resets and firmware flashing are your only options. Except maybe an RMA....

I was just wondering, I can only get ap mode to work buy plugging into it's wan port, which doesn't sound right?

Final version: I did a full factory reset, put asus latest firmware on and configure as AP. Still 90% cpu usage so I'm going to RMA now. I hope to hell that they don't plug it in and it works fine.

It's not possible that my switch/ pfsense router are somehow agitating the asus box is ti?

Hate to resurrect an old thread, but my RT-N66R is doing the same thing. Just started out of the blue. I did update the firmware last month, but have reverted back to the older firmware just to test. Same thing. 80-100% cpu load all the time.

I can unplug the router for like 10 minutes and that seems to calm it down for a little while. Then goes back to high load.

Anyone figure out wtf is causing this? Mine is setup for router mode.

Hi, sorry just saw this thread wake up. Even though I said I was going to RMA it, I never did - I don't remember what combination unfortunately but for some reason after rebooting / reflashing so many times, it started working normally and I've been using it with Pfsense as a wifi ap ever since with no issues. :( So frustrating because at the time I never knew what caused it to break or how it got fixed.

Back