Asus RMA has me worried

exelias0

Gawd
They were a little sloppy with the solder when replacing the 24-pin ATX connector, and you can see 2 of the pins are almost bridged together. I'm a little afraid to plug it in. And I'm not sure what that big glob of white stuff is.

20130315_201400.jpg

20130315_201407.jpg

Man, it sucks to see Asus drop the ball. I am sorry to hear that. I hope it works!

ASUS RMA has gone down the tubes. There are different threads just about how horrible ASUS RMA has gotten.

At least you go a board back with all the pieces accounted for.

was that done at Freemont Ca., or Indiana?
What happened - a PSU fried the mobo ATX?
Cant tell, but white stuff kinda looks like solder flux, or the mobo insulating coating sanded off residue

I have a feeling my Asus board is burnt somewhere too, I could've sworn I heard something burn or melt and then I got a faint burning smell last week, but the board has been running okay since so I didn't bother to investigate. But if something is wrong, I'm a little afraid of the RMA process now...

Indiana.
I sent it in because the 12V pins were scorched.

Fwiw, I have seen that happen (and worse) with a PSU that uses the 20 PLUS 4 pin ATX connector. I have found that many of these separate 4 pin connectors have a ridge on the top for some reason, and it keeps itself from properly seating all the way down. So I alwaiys use an exacto knife and cut the ridge off. Then you must be sure to insert with correct orientation.

So, I am now curious what PSU you were using?
Did it take out the PSU? Or is it still working.

Those tiny squiggles of solder hanging out wont make any difference. If worried you can just use a jewelers screwdriver and a magnifying glass to flick them off
BTW what mobo is it?

Looking into how this happened. Will forward to relevant departments and ask them to tighten up QC on rework.

I am suspecting the burnout initially occurred due to running multiple GPUs and NOT plugging in the aux PCIe connector on the board. Multiple GPUs running in tandem draw more power via the PCIe power plan than the ATX 12V is rated for, that's why the aux connector is required.

Either way, the QC on the rework should be tidy, so I'll elevate this.

-Raja

This is horrid... I've replaced dozens of things with Asus and have had similar results half the time... hate to see this :(

Back