Asus RMA experience.

Digital Viper-X-

[H]F Junkie
This thread is to keep track of my RMA experience with Asus.

Overall experience: Good, online system sucks, phone RMA works great.

I have a 6970 DirectCU II, I've had it since April in crossfire with a HIS 6970 reference card. My computer started restarting all of a sudden, and would no longer boot into windows. I tried a clean install, same thing, as soon as I install the drivers, boom, restart. I pulled both cards and tested them individually, the ASUS one would not boot into windows, the HIS was fine. I tried multiple drivers too.

Anyway, Last week I submitted an online RMA request. I gave all of the information that was requested. The online request was supposed to be answered within 48hours, it wasn't, in fact it's 8 days later and still no response.

Keep in mind finding the page to submit an online request on the ASUS site is like walking through a maze after backwards blindfolded after drinking a few bottles of tequila.

I gave up waiting for an online reply, called in today and gave my case # that had been auto-generated and emailed to me when I submitted the request. The rep on the phone created an RMA request for me, and emailed me the steps etc RMA# and shipping info. So online support is somewhat of a bust, phoning seems to work well. The rep informed me that RMA turn-around time is 5-10days.

I'll update this thread later :)

August 21st: submitted online RMA request.

August 29th: No response to online RMA request, phoned Asus support and got things rolling, RMA # issued.

August 30th: bunch of people not reading the original posts decided to give their opinion on my bashing of asus:

September 2nd: Mailed out card, 1 day delivery time, card should arrive on Tuesday Sept 6th (Monday is a holiday)

September 6th: Card delivered to Asus and signed for. 2011/09/06 12:33 UNIONVILLE Item successfully delivered
RMA status updated to "Repairing", the status can be one of these
This seemed to happen on the same day as they received it, so their service so far seems fast.
Asus RMA Status Window

September 8th:
  1. Status is now "WAITSWAP" So I'm guessing they will exchange the card.
  2. Also My ORIGINAL online RMA request just got answered.... :)
  3. Update again: The status is now in "Packing" a new Serial # has been issued
  4. update #4: B1C*****0029 Ready for Shipping 2011/09/06

Sept 9th: Shipped! Got an email with a tracking # today. Will update when card arrives

Septh 13th: Card arrived, brand new card in a new box with all accessories. Not bad, will test it when I get home :D

Overall experience: Good, online system sucks, phone RMA works great.

Last edited:
Ok... Why would we need to keep track of your rma experience. This is a video card discussion section, not rma/customer service discussion section.

Ok... Why would we need to keep track of your rma experience. This is a video card discussion section, not rma/customer service discussion section.

So we a can all hear again about the superb rma service Asus has.

Because, aside from slapping their own sticker on a reference graphics card, the only thing that sets the various manufacturers apart from one another in many cases is their customer support. This is completely relevant to this forum IMO and good to know.

So people know in the future when buying a video card, if they ever need to RMA it, which companies to avoid or chose.

It's more exciting to see the outcome at the same time.

I don't know that I'll read the thread again in 3-4 weeks after your rma experience is done.

my 5970s and mobo still kickin along. About to sell to the bitcoin community soon....but, just from experience I was helping a friend put together a machine using an ASUS motherboard, supposed to be new from newegg and it came unsealed, and half the pins on the motherboard were smashed, like someone had inserted the plastic cpu protector with force....he now waits.

So people know in the future when buying a video card, if they ever need to RMA it, which companies to avoid or chose.

I'm not sure I would avoid Asus because of slower RMA..i've never received bad products from Asus and happy with my setups using them..I can think as far back I've only used gigabyte or Asus without any bad experiences.

I'm not saying their RMA process or is long, :p I haven't come to a conclusion yet, just that their online portion of their RMA process sucks. On the phone I got an RMA # in 5minutes and had an email with instructions before the guy hung up the phone.

So far I'd say their RMA process is good, if you contact them by phone.

I bought a P8P67 Pro motherboard from microcenter which was faulty, opened an RMA ticket and kindly asked to receive the new mobo first, ASUS gladly agreed. Within 3 days I had the new motherboard in my doorsteps. and ASUS gave me another two weeks to send my broken motherboard back to them.

So I wouldn't say their RMA process sucks.

my god people, read the post, I never said their RMA process sucks, I said the online RMA process is bad, over the phone it's fine so far.

So you opened a thread to let us all know ASUS online RMA process is fine?

So you opened a thread to let us all know ASUS online RMA process is fine?

I opened a thread to follow the ASUS RMA process form start to finish, since you more than likely didn't bother to read the OP and just replied with a smart ass comment I'll summarize for you.

SO FAR. ONLINE SYSTEM SUCKS, RMA BY PHONE IS GOOD.

once I send my card in and get a replacement, I'll update the thread. learn to read the OP before you reply.

Cool stuff. I've never had to RMA anything Asus that I own, but its nice to read about other people's experience. The opinion I have about Asus still isn't going to change though. :D

I personally am glad he put this thread here. I consider ASUS a high end company and expect good service considering the price premium they command. We need more threads like this, IMO.

I opened a thread to follow the ASUS RMA process form start to finish, since you more than likely didn't bother to read the OP and just replied with a smart ass comment I'll summarize for you.

once I send my card in and get a replacement, I'll update the thread. learn to read the OP before you reply.

I think he was joking. At least I hope he was. :p

I am in the process of RMAing my 580 with them. They received it a week ago yesterday; that's all I've heard so far. Hopefully they'll get it fixed and sent this week.

I don't know why OP is calling out ASUS like that when the RMA process isn't completed for him to asesss.

I did read the OP. And I seriously don't find it as bad as you describe it to be.
ASUS RMA process can take up to two weeks, phone or online, it doesn't matter. I don't understand why you had to wait 8 days until you picked up the phone and spoke with a representative.

I just don't understand why would you open a complaint thread when you didn't even send your card to RMA yet. That's all.

I did read the OP. And I seriously don't find it as bad as you describe it to be.
ASUS RMA process can take up to two weeks, phone or online, it doesn't matter. I don't understand why you had to wait 8 days until you picked up the phone and spoke with a representative.

I just don't understand why would you open a complaint thread when you didn't even send your card to RMA yet. That's all.

ASUS RMA process takes up to 2 weeks.. lol @ that, most RMAs take 2 weeks, for the whole process, not to get an RMA# or an initial response. I get a response within 24hours of contacting EVGA

I shouldn't have to pick up the phone btw(and the # is long distance), if there is an online system, it should be monitored and used, if they don't want to use it, they can disable it and /or remove it completely.

Obviously you haven't read the OP, this is not a complaint thread, it's simply tracking the progress of an RMA through Asus. If you don't like that, feel free to move to another thread and spread your ill conceived theories about what the topic is there :)

To many of these scenario's, at first I chalked it off as bad luck/user error but after the 8765412345 time it has to be the company, I can tell you from experience if you want painless RMA treatment MSI, and EVGA are top notch MSI had a GTX 275 in the mail returning to me as soon as shipping was confirmed (refurb 12 days total) EVGA was super fast to reply with RMA #'s(brand new card 13 days total)

LOL, buckle in and get ready for a bumpy ride. There is a good chance that since your RMA started like this you can expect a fun ride that will leave you with a sour taste in your mouth.

From my personal experience with my last ASUS RMA that started out going south, check the S/N of the card when you get it back because you might just get the exact same card back after they tell you it was fixed and tested but in all reality was not.

I know every company has issues from time to time and small ones can be overlooked but it's those times that the company just doesn't seem to give 2 shits that separate the forgivable mishaps from the unforgivable.

The best RMA service I ever got for a video card was BFG, R.I.P. :-( Followed by XFX ( thank you [X]FX rep :D Probably the absolute worst VGA RMA's I've ever dealt with were thru PNY given I have no experience with PNY after the 78xx series.

ASUS has started down a slippery slope and they are going to end up paying big time if they don't fix this. There are too many other vendors out to be testing peoples patience. Hell, ASUS's products aren't even as reliable overall as they used to be. They've been on the decline it seems since AM2 hit in terms of product quality and reliability leaving customer service as their last line of deffence before a customer leaves them for good.

Last edited:
so far, apart from the crappy online RMA, everything has been good, their response time seems fast too. So I'm not going to bash them yet :p If I get back a working 6970 DCUII then I Don't care if it's repaired or new, as long as it works and it's the same model I sent in.

and LOL @ the Asus RMA status checking window ...

RMA No. has 10 digits like TWAT950001 given by ASUS Service Center.

so far, apart from the crappy online RMA, everything has been good, their response time seems fast too. So I'm not going to bash them yet :p If I get back a working 6970 DCUII then I Don't care if it's repaired or new, as long as it works and it's the same model I sent in.

and LOL @ the Asus RMA status checking window ...

LOL :D

I'm interested in more of these. Effort though it would be, would it be possible to keep a track record of various people's experiences with manufacturer RMAs?

Not opening the whole Asus is good/bad can of worms, but an objective summary of peoples' RMA processes would probably help vindicate one side of the story :)

My personal perspective is not having used Asus' manufacturer RMA, nothing Asus I've owned has ever lasted more than the 12 month retail warranty period we get in the UK anyway. I never buy Asus products nor recommend them to others as a result of this, but if the RMA service is reasonable that at least provides some comfort.

I'm interested in more of these. Effort though it would be, would it be possible to keep a track record of various people's experiences with manufacturer RMAs?

Not opening the whole Asus is good/bad can of worms, but an objective summary of peoples' RMA processes would probably help vindicate one side of the story :)

My personal perspective is not having used Asus' manufacturer RMA, nothing Asus I've owned has ever lasted more than the 12 month retail warranty period we get in the UK anyway. I never buy Asus products nor recommend them to others as a result of this, but if the RMA service is reasonable that at least provides some comfort.

We could have individual threads, and then 1 thread with links to the various threads and a summary for each.

i had a terrible mobo rma experience with asus. once the RMA got started it was fine, but sigh... the nightmares of the switchboard process...

I'd have to agree with the above statement. An RMA tracking sub-forum would be nice. It would give manufacturers a much larger incentive to do people right if they know their actions are going to go public from step 1. Plus it would let everyone see when and how something goes wrong and the forum would have to use non editable posts.

I'd have to agree with the above statement. An RMA tracking sub-forum would be nice. It would give manufacturers a much larger incentive to do people right if they know their actions are going to go public from step 1. Plus it would let everyone see when and how something goes wrong and the forum would have to use non editable posts.

Couldnt agree more. This, IMO, would be a valuable resource that would set [H] apart from other sites. It's much needed. Some real, hard data that could be boiled down to statistics and really help people with their decision on which hardware to purchase.

I myself am surprised at some of the comments about ASUS. Thankfully, I've never had an ASUS product go bad on me, and it sounds like I'm in for some unpleasantness if I do.

I've not tried the Asus RMA process myself, but I've never had an ASUS product go good on me. Not for long enough to need to send it to Asus anyway. What I will say is when I tried to take a Sapphire product back, that was appalling. Literally, I was ignored on all channels, by phone, by email, by website. You'd have thought a card worth $1075 would have prompted a response from someone. Luckily since it was a DOA, I could take it back to the retailer.

I filled out the impossible to find ASUS RMA form 7 days ago and have yet to hear a peep. When should I expect a word from ASUS? Or do I need to jump start it by calling them?

Am I the only one that feels like ASUS buries their RMA contact form and contact info a little too deep?

Also does ASUS cross ship mobos if you pay up front?

I have never heard of Asus cross shipping anything. Closest is there vip notebook support. Asus tech support/rma department has been abysmal in the past. Basically they took there channel system and applied to there retail market, often times you would wait 6-8 weeks for the entire process to finish.

Back