Asus Rampage II Extreme wont boot / POST whatsoever?

RamGuy

n00b
I did just pick up my Asus Rampage II Extreme today, it's been lying in my closet for a few months and today I was taking it out to build a system for my girlfriend..

It's been lying dry and dust free in my closet for a couple of months, and the CPU and RAM hasn't been unmounted since I used it a few months back.

But after mounting it inside a cheap cassy, hooking up a Antec Signature PSU which I know work, as it did work in another system yesterday, I attached a GTX480 graphics card, audio card and dedicated Intel NIC.

Everything hooked up just fine, the motherboard lights up and all fans are running, including the graphics card but nothing happens? No light on my G19, nothing on my monitor and the LCD-poster just reports "LOCKED".

I tried using my own computers RAM as I know all those DIM's are working, I also tried with a GTX285 graphics card, I tried to CLEAR CMOS, I tried removing the battery, tried to unplug it and re-mount everything from CPU, RAM .. Everything and the fire it back up.. But nothing?

There is no boot, there is no sound, just the LCD-poster reporting "LOCKED" and all fans and lights fire up (besides my G19 keyboard)

Is there something I'm missing here? I've had some cold boot issues with this motherboard before, but then I just shut it down, removed the battery, removed the power cord.. waited for about 30min, plugged the cord back in, inserted battery and was able to boot up. But it's not working this time around?

I also tried using the 4-pin CPU power from the Antec PSU instead of the 8-pin.. But no difference.

Could it actually have died when just lying around in my closet wrapped in anti-static plastic?

It can't be related to the RAM as I tried with my own sticks which I can confirm that works, I also tried using one single DIMM in EVERY memory slot on the motherboard, but without any lucky.

It shouldn't be the graphics card either, as I've tested with two different once, shouldn't be the PSU either as it worked in another system yesterday and everything seems to get power.

I also tried removing the audio card and NIC to see if it worked with those removed, both nothing.

So then it's just the motherboard itself left along with the CPU, and considering CPU's dies VERY RARELY I really doubt it's the CPU, so might it be the motherboard, even though it lights up and seems to be working, just not posting / booting?

Died from just lying around in a dust free closet within anti-static packaging seems really odd to me?

I've tried within the crappy case and outside just lying on a anti-static bag.

First off, do not try booting a board on the anti-static bag. That's a bad idea. Also try resetting the CMOS. If that does not work, remove one new piece of hardware that you added at a time to see if something there is keeping it from posting.

You didn't ready first post..

I've already cleared CMOS, tried to cold boot by removing the battery and several other things, also tried to remove all hardware not necessary for the system to boot and also tried with one stick of RAM, other RAM etc..

But still nothing.

When it was in the closet, it wasn't exposed to anything was it?

next thing to try would be a different psu, use your known working ram, and cpu, a known working graphics card and nothing else, no keyboards, mice, hd's, or -roms boot it out of the case (and not on an anti static bag, they are conductive, i use newspaper.)

if all else fails you could try baking it. pop the battery out and follow this method... different parts, same idea. If its still a no go, see if you can get an rma,

/edit you will have to remove the north/south bridge heat-sink and fan, as well as the heat-sink's on the mosfets if they are removable (i cant tell from the photos) and any leftover thermal paste must be cleaned up as well (so make sure you have some handy to reapply)

Last edited:
Back