Asus Rampage II Extreme or Gigabyte GA-EX58-EXTREME

isai95

Limp Gawd
Which one would be a better choice for the i7 920?
pricewatch list them for
Asus $386.50
Gigabyte $329.99

What do you plan on doing with them?

Office 2007, backing up Blu-ray & DVD, Compressing Audio to MP3 and FLAC, Photoshop, Games like the Sims 3, COD4, Crysis @ 1600 x 1200 & 2560 x 1600, Internet, etc.

I didn't see the "break OC'ing records," so you can drop down to the non extreme boards and get the same performance. ;)

I didn't see the "break OC'ing records," so you can drop down to the non extreme boards and get the same performance. ;)

I agree. If you're not planning on using the watercooling block, the Gigabyte EX58-UD5 is pretty much the same board as the EXTREME in terms of performance. I doubt you'll notice any difference between the two besides the added cooling features on the EXTREME. The Rampage II Extreme is also a good board, but if you don't need the features it offers, consider saving some money and look into the P6T Deluxe V2.

I see, so if one does not O/C there is not much difference or advantage from getting their little brother, the GA-EX58-UD3R?
Do all support DDR2000+, 2x PCI-Express x16 Slots (3x PCI-Express x16 Slots for the Extreme editions)?

Also, what about new standards like the upcoming USB3.0? Should I wait for this?
Thank you guys.

I see, so if one does not O/C there is not much difference or advantage from getting their little brother, the GA-EX58-UD3R?
Do all support DDR2000+, 2x PCI-Express x16 Slots (3x PCI-Express x16 Slots for the Extreme editions)?

If you're not planning to OC much, the EX58-UD3R would certainly be a good budget choice. It does support DDR3 2000 but keep in mind that the motherboard only has 4 RAM slots. It has 2 x PCI-E x16 slots, 1 PCI-E x4, and 2 PCI-E x1. Also, it has worse NB cooling than the EX58-UD5 and EX58-EXTREME. If these factors don't mean much to you, it's certainly a good choice.

If you're not doing some extreme OC'ing, you don't need DDR3 2000+. All X58 boards support Crossfire. Some support dual SLI only, and some support Tri-SLI. Figure out which features you need in a motherboard, and we can make suggestions that fit your criteria.

Waiting for a standard is useless unless you absolutely need it or unless you don't mind the wait time (eg. if something is coming out soon).

Back