Asus Rampage Extreme III

HammerAZ

Limp Gawd
I have posted about my PSU blowout issue in the PSU forum which leads to my current situation issues regarding my Motherboard.

While I am in the process of RMAing the Antec1000 PSU, I have Corsair 750 that I am trying to use.

I am suspect that I have collateral damage, or I'm just a fool with more technology than I'm meant to own. With the 750 installed, I removed the 2 4870x2's and replaced with an ATI2600 just to test with, since it requires no external power to run.

My current issue is that I cannot get the motherboard to power for more than a few seconds, before it turns off, and then powers up....and then turns off...so on and so forth. I do see that the CPU light is RED - this is most likely the issue. I ensured the 8 PIN CPU power connector is in, along with the main power assembly. I've tried pushing the BIOS reset buttons, popping the battery, all the way to removing the H70, and CPU. I replaced the CPU, put on some Arctic Silver, reapplied the H70, and attempted power up. With some hope, I saw the CPU LED clear and move to the DRAM_1 LED...which hung. I pulled the RAM out and reseated it all...and now I'm, back to a RED CPU light.

I tried a small 650 PSU as well in case the 750 was faulty, but same results. I am in the process of trying the ASUS ROG Connect - but I'm doubtful it will show me anything. Posts on ASUS's site show that people using 750 and smaller PSU's were getting the same results as me, until they put on a larger PSU - that seems kinda odd to me, but maybe there is some fact to it?

I was curious if there were any thoughts or ideas as to what could be my issue, given that the day of install I posted like a champ - but I'm fearful of mass damage due to the PSU failure.

As I have been troubleshooting - I did get teh ASUS ROG connect to attach - and effectively I'm being told I cannot pass CPU Init.

I see a new BIOS is available, so I'm using the tool to update that from 901 to 1005

- EDIT:

BIOS updated - no help.

Last edited:
I've seen a blown PSU take out -
a motherboard, video card and memory with one pop... (dunno if it took out the CPU too... because I had to replace that when I replaced the motherboard!) only thing that survived where the drives, soundcard and the case!

This was a repair I did for a friend whilst staying there on holiday... No problem... seems to be a blown powersupply I said... Little did I know...

Anyways my gut feeling is, your PSU might have damaged your board...sorry!

Back