Asus px79 USB issues

Motherboard: Asus px79 pro
I have two issues:

1. Under Universal Serial Bu controllers, I still get a Unknown Device for a Usb controller (Port_#008.Hub_#004).

I've tried everything humanly possible to get this going. I've tried every combination of the USB motherboard settings (re-installing drivers after each). Currently set to auto/disabled/disabled.

I've moved my video card from slot to slot, as someone found worked. I actually could care less about this except for #2.

2. None of my canon cameras(5dmkiii or 7ds) will windows install drivers for. It says it can't find drivers, but the drivers are built into win7. I have no idea if this is related to #1, but every other usb device works. Swapped cables and all the usual stuff. Works on my other win7 boxes (which ironically, I could care less if they work or not on the others). I've tried on both the intel and ASmedia usb ports.

Anybody got any ideas.

Is this the usb2 or usb3 ports having issues? If you are trying to run the USB3 as usb2 this would not be a strange situation.

My x79 WS board just needed all the drivers updated and installed and after that everything was 100%.

Which USB ports is this affecting 2.0 or 3.0? Secondly, you installed the USB drivers off the CD provided or try updating via ASUS webpage?

I have no USB 3.0 devices, so everything is USB 2. and like 1.1 (I'm guessing with the keyboard mouse stuff).

I've installed drives off the CD, off the Asus website, and off ASMedia site. Same thing.

I can't tell you which is the "unknown device" ( and this device is unknown with nothing plugged in, so I'm not confusing it with another device). Could be the intel or ASMedia ports.

The camera problem occurs no matter which one I plug into. I've got a new HD coming where I'm going to do a reinstall of win7 to see if the problem persists with that and its some kind of OS weirdness (I needed another SSD for caching of large files while I work before moving off to a slower drive). But I have serious doubts that the unknown device problem will be related.

We aren't asking about what you are plugging IN to the motherboard.

We are asking if you are using the USB 3.0 (blue) ports on the motherboard as USB 2.0 ports.

We ask this because you still need to install the USB 3.0 drivers for those ports to work correctly for ANY USB device (3.0, 2.0, 1.1 or 1.0).

I would be using the USB 3.0 ports as USB 2.0 ports. I believe those are the ASMedia drivers, which I installed.

Am I understanding correctly?

I have the P9X79 Pro (which may or may not be the same board as you...I'm not sure if you have a typo or a different board) and from my experience, not all USB 2.0 devices like USB 3.0 ports and work much better plugged into USB 2.0. Have you for certain tried the camera in a USB 2.0 port? Some devices for me just refuse to work in the UBS 3.0 ports (though USB 3.0 devices and things like memory sticks work in them perfectly).

That said, it still doesn't explain your unknown device problem (unless something is plugged in it doesn't like - have you tried unplugging *all* USB devices just to be sure that message doesn't disappear [it sounds like you have; just making sure]?)

Also, it probably goes without saying, but are you running the latest BIOS?

I also remember a USB update from the ASUS website, but it sounds like you've installed this too.

You could try the latest Intel Chipset drivers too if you haven't.

Good luck!

Back