Asus Pure Go detects Pesticides on fruits and vegetables

My wife gets more paranoid about than I do.

Cross-contamination with vegetables is the main cause of foodborne illness. It's why vegetarians and vegans get food poisoning more often, they eat more vegetables raw. It's also why reusable grocery bags are retarded. Well, not if you wash them, but hardly anyone ever does.

And I guarantee you that the people using these won't keep them clean, either, which defeats the whole purpose.

Now, if Asus can make a wand that you can use to figure out what's making that smell in the fridge, they'll get all my money.

(Last time it was an egg that somehow got BEHIND the drawer and I had to take apart the entire thing to find it. How did it get there? Did someone deliberately hide an egg in the fridge, or have eggs always been able to teleport?)

The idea is sound but I'm not sure about the implementation. First, I am curious what sort of things it can detect - if its just detecting any sort of salt or particulate matter then that isn't really helpful - I have a water softener for instance, and if it simply looks for an amount of dissolved solids or salts from ion exchange then everything will always be "dirty". It needs to be able to specifically detect VOC, and the particular families of chemicals that are present in pesticides/herbicides (ie glyphosate residues). Next, I'm curious why it seems to require/suggest immersion in water when many rinse their veg do it piece by piece under running water. If it could be used to just point at/or act as a "handheld scanner" being moved over the skin of the vegetable or something, without immersion in water, that would be preferable to seeing what residue is actually present and if you need to wash it again. Not that this in theory can't work with it floating in the sink, but it could use a lot more water having to get a whole sinkfull every time you want to measure if your'e done with rinsing things yet.

I know it may be kind of strange, but I am thinking it may be a culturally specific thing - kinda like how air quality meters in everything are common in China because well.. the air quality there is abysmal in many places. Maybe its normal in Taiwan to always wash a sink full of vegetables by immersion? But I am curious to see how specific and sensitive it is to pesticide/herbicide residues or is it just "fudging it" with any sort of compound that reacts to the UV beam o whatnot.

Id get all political about who you can blame for the fact many of us wont be able to afford veggies soon but....... naw your gas prices should speak loud enough

Instead of a veggie chemical detector, were gonna need a closest bread line detector soon.

The YT comments are hilarious... Honestly sounds labor intensive for a potential problem most people don't consider, from a quick reading you soak the foods for 2-3 minutes, test, rinse, and if it failed soak, test, rinse again... It just says if the water is "clean" or not...
https://www.asus.com/us/Networking-IoT-Servers/Smart-Home/Smart-kitchen/PureGo-PD100/

And it shows you how long it took to wash them all so you can train to do better! Their website example shows 5 minutes 20 seconds:
app-screen2.jpg

It definitely isn't identifying specific contaminants reading further, probably just testing TDS or similar.

Fruits and Vegetables not applicable to the test results (Including but not limited to:) Rich in phytochemicals (Chlorophyll / Anthocyanin); colorants are released in large amounts when washing these fruits and vegetables. This may affect the test results. Okinawa Spinach, Red Amaranth, Strawberry Rich in phytochemicals or plant spores, which are released in large quantities when washed and may affect the test results. Mushrooms, Cloud Ear Fungus, Seaweed, Enoki Mushroom

The idea is sound but I'm not sure about the implementation. First, I am curious what sort of things it can detect - if its just detecting any sort of salt or particulate matter then that isn't really helpful - I have a water softener for instance, and if it simply looks for an amount of dissolved solids or salts from ion exchange then everything will always be "dirty". It needs to be able to specifically detect VOC, and the particular families of chemicals that are present in pesticides/herbicides (ie glyphosate residues). Next, I'm curious why it seems to require/suggest immersion in water when many rinse their veg do it piece by piece under running water. If it could be used to just point at/or act as a "handheld scanner" being moved over the skin of the vegetable or something, without immersion in water, that would be preferable to seeing what residue is actually present and if you need to wash it again. Not that this in theory can't work with it floating in the sink, but it could use a lot more water having to get a whole sinkfull every time you want to measure if your'e done with rinsing things yet.

I know it may be kind of strange, but I am thinking it may be a culturally specific thing - kinda like how air quality meters in everything are common in China because well.. the air quality there is abysmal in many places. Maybe its normal in Taiwan to always wash a sink full of vegetables by immersion? But I am curious to see how specific and sensitive it is to pesticide/herbicide residues or is it just "fudging it" with any sort of compound that reacts to the UV beam o whatnot.
Always reminds me of the fan timers in Korea, because of the danger of a fan in a closed room (google 'fan death' for an eye roll).
Although when I double checked it seems to be going away there...

To be fair, I can't remember what ASUS's ad is claiming and don't feel like watching it again, I think they're just testing what chemicals are left on the produce.
It's basically the same device though, only the claim is not so outlandish. So technically they are not lying as the companies in the video, but the product is just as useless.

Always reminds me of the fan timers in Korea, because of the danger of a fan in a closed room (google 'fan death' for an eye roll).
Although when I double checked it seems to be going away there...
I have fan timers so people don't forget to turn them off (bathrooms). This way I don't have to grease the bearings as often and they last a really long time.

I have fan timers so people don't forget to turn them off (bathrooms). This way I don't have to grease the bearings as often and they last a really long time.
Oh yeah, I'm not saying they were without any use, just the original mandate was for fairly crazy reasons.

We've apparently successfully trained a couple generations to do what the blinking lights say, and never think or research anything.
Hence why I laugh when people say this generation will be so incredibly tech literate. Lol, no. They can push the buttons to get the reaction they want, but they have no clue about how said reactions work.

Hence why I laugh when people say this generation will be so incredibly tech literate. Lol, no. They can push the buttons to get the reaction they want, but they have no clue about how said reactions work.
They know how to operate the thing, but don't know when the thing is operating them.

Back