ASUS power supply surge detection!

Lotos

n00b
Hey guys so before i start... i am running the following setup:

ASUS P8Z77-V-LX
eVGA 560 TI (not the improved one)
i5 3570k @ stock

and my possible problem item: Corsair HX520 that is roughly 5-6 years old.

Now as the title states i received a unstable psu surge detected! warning when i started my computer up from hibernation this morning. I've been running this setup for about 2 weeks now with no problems until today.

This morning when I started up my computer I noticed my PSU fan sped up quickly and began to make some whining noises (varying power), the computer then reboots and gives me the surge error and asks for a F1 BIOs setup, after another reboot the computer POSTs successfully - I then can boot into Windows just fine. Currently my computer is running just fine.

I got my finger hovering around the order button for a new supply before this switch mode blows a cap or something; has anyone else experienced this before?

Last edited:
I've seen some people complaining about ASUS Z77s and anti-surge warnings. One option is to turn it off in BIOS I guess. Another would be, what the heck, if you've gotten 5-6 years out of it, get the new one if you can afford it. But then, I always like excuses to buy something new.

Back