ASUS Policy on Cougar Point based MBs? (Intel Recall)

So why are Newegg taking such pains to warn people of the risk of data loss if it's so safe?

So why are Newegg taking such pains to warn people of the risk of data loss if it's so safe?

Because of what Intel did. Much better to get ahead of a problem than to be found hiding with no pants on.

As always, Newegg remains 100% committed to our customers' total satisfaction.
Also, nowhere does it say in the email that there will be data loss. Atleast, not in mine... unless you have a super secret revision. Unless I have missed some sort of new announcement?

Why are people still trying to create panic? If you are so concerned about data loss, why are you running a brand new platform that has yet to be proven? Or, do you not actually own a Sandy Bridge platform?

So what if there is error checking if all there is are errors? At that point, you have failure. If you were trying to save something, it's gone. Why do you read what I wrote.

My stuff is already off the 3Gb/s ports. It's in the sig.

You're right, If the OS has data to write to the drive and it can't due to errors on the port, you're going to loose that data most of the time. There might be cases where the OS can report a problem writing to a drive, and you can then save to another drive, but in general you might not be able to write the data. However, that's no different than if your power goes down before the data's written, which normally won't corrupt anything, you just might loose what you were working on at that point. I understand your point though. I was thinking more along the lines of corrupting the data on a drive.

I think the analogy between loosing PC power and a port dying is actually pretty accurate. If one is really unlucky your pc could be hosed, but it's extremely unlikely, and loosing power is probably much more risky for causing a pc problem than a port dying.

Last edited:
I just got off the phone with Asus

They said they wont be able to offer Advanced RMA's due to the magnitude of the issue. They just wont have the stock to do it.

He said to call back tomorrow to get an official word and that there engineers are doing testing and when they will have fixed boards.

He said once they get the bad board could be 7-10 Day replacement time but he thinks it's going to be stretched.

Answered by anecdotal evidence from a single user, you. No one else, that I've seen, has reported hard drive failures from this, which makes me wonder if there isn't something else at fault here.

The reason you don't see any more posts such as mine here is because most of the users here are not using their computer as I do. As a member of HWBot I can tell you that there have been many other failures such as mine in the overclocking community.

You should understand that many products are not fully tested before release. Manufacturers rely heavily upon input from users (casual and the overclocking community) to rectify unforseen shortcomings. You see this regularly in the way of bios updates, game patches, ect.

When you hear one member post as I did I understand the natural inclination to pass it off as an inexperienced user. I only posted to show that in fact it was possible to lose data....permanently.

One more note of interest for those with Asus mb's...it seems it is damn near impossible to install a XP OS. While many will laugh and wonder why one would even desire to do so, those in the overclocking community realize XP is still King when it comes to 2D benchmarking. Just a heads up and maybe someone at Asus can explain this glitch. (This is reported by many users as well)

Also, nowhere does it say in the email that there will be data loss. Atleast, not in mine... unless you have a super secret revision. Unless I have missed some sort of new announcement?

Why are people still trying to create panic? If you are so concerned about data loss, why are you running a brand new platform that has yet to be proven? Or, do you not actually own a Sandy Bridge platform?
Watch the video they made that I linked earlier. It's mentionned twice that there are risks of DATA loss and he has a whiteboard with:
Ports 0-1 Good
Ports 2-5 Bad

behind him.

BTW I'm not panicking, I am OTOH getting annoyed at people refusing to acknowledge the risks, many of whom have a vested interest in downplaying the problem. The additional risk isn't worth it for me and I'll be grabbing an extra SATA controller. Intel have passed through to the channel that they want to keep selling SB processors because they want the income to prop up their share price. Given that I trust a retailer over the manufacturer.
I just got off the phone with Asus

They said they wont be able to offer Advanced RMA's due to the magnitude of the issue. They just wont have the stock to do it.

He said to call back tomorrow to get an official word and that there engineers are doing testing and when they will have fixed boards.

He said once they get the bad board could be 7-10 Day replacement time but he thinks it's going to be stretched.
They can go jump through flaming hoops if they think I'll go without my system for up to 2 weeks. Will be buying a new motherboard then RMA'ing the old one for a refund if that's the case.

I think it depends on what one calls data loss. Yes if you're editing a file and you can't write it out to the drive, you've probably lost data (ignoring possible recovery by writing to something else if the OS flags a write error). That's completely different from data corruption, where you get bad data on your drive. Data loss maybe...data corruption...much less likely. When someone says data loss, don't assume they mean the drive is going to get corrupted.

I think it depends on what one calls data loss. Yes if you're editing a file and you can't write it out to the drive, you've probably lost data (ignoring possible recovery by writing to something else if the OS flags a write error). That's completely different from data corruption, where you get bad data on your drive. Data loss maybe...data corruption...much less likely. When someone says data loss, don't assume they mean the drive is going to get corrupted.

Data loss = drive/OS corruption in my case...multiple times. ;)

@ duncanm - You can use the 6 Gb/s sata ports with no fear. I have tested them...no need to buy extra devices or another mb. Up to you.

Got the mail from microcenter as well:
eNews Update: Important Information
Micro Center: computers & electronics

An Important Announcement regarding Intel(r) Series 6 Chipsets

Intel has recently identified an issue with their 6 series chipsets,
which are used with all their 2nd generation Core processors
(code-named Sandy Bridge). This is a potentially serious issue, but it
should not affect your data, just your system's performance. Intel believes
that consumers can continue to use their systems with confidence, while
working with their computer manufacturer for a permanent solution.

However, some users may see degradation in the performance of SATA
devices attached to the system, whether internal or external (such as hard
drives and DVD drives). Intel is not aware of any end-user who has seen this
issue yet, but they expect it to affect a significant percentage of users
eventually, and to worsen over a three year period.

Please be assured that Micro Center will stand behind every customer who
purchased a system or a motherboard from us that features this chipset.
Intel has already made the necessary change in the manufacturing process
to correct the error, and properly functioning replacements will be available
in approximately 8 weeks.

To minimize the disruption to you, we suggest that you continue to use your
system until replacement parts are available. At that time, we will contact
you with instructions regarding how to get your motherboard replaced or your
system repaired.

PLEASE NOTE: There is no problem with the Intel 2nd Generation Core Processors themselves.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused by this issue,
and our assurance that we will keep you informed of any further developments.

Well, your drive and motherboard must not be playing nicely together, or the root cause is elsewhere in your system. In any case, I don't think you're saying that one of your 3gbs ports died and the drive that was connected to it got corrupted by that are you?

The reason you don't see any more posts such as mine here is because most of the users here are not using their computer as I do. As a member of HWBot I can tell you that there have been many other failures such as mine in the overclocking community.

If you yourself admit that you are doing extreme things that most people would never do, why are you on here trying to spread fear to everyone on this issue? You've made probably 10 posts about how this error has killed 8 of your drives, when no one else here has reported similar experiences. Going on and on about how your extreme use causes failures which may or may not be related to the issue at hand isn't really helping anyone make rational decisions.

Well, your drive and motherboard must not be playing nicely together, or the root cause is elsewhere in your system. In any case, I don't think you're saying that one of your 3gbs ports died and the drive that was connected to it got corrupted by that are you?

That is exactly what I am saying.

If you yourself admit that you are doing extreme things that most people would never do, why are you on here trying to spread fear to everyone on this issue? You've made probably 10 posts about how this error has killed 8 of your drives, when no one else here has reported similar experiences. Going on and on about how your extreme use causes failures which may or may not be related to the issue at hand isn't really helping anyone make rational decisions.

Be reasonable Forceman - I am not spreading any fear here...only dispelling the rumor that no data loss can occur. It was my extreme overclocking that accelerated the problem...to the point that I knew about the problem before anyone else here had a clue. I just chalked it up to extreme bad luck until the third time around. After that I knew something was really wrong, then Intel let go with the news. I can tell many here of many more issues involving the SB hardware but it seems no one wants hear of it from me...only an industry exec with probably zero hands on time with the product. I've done all I can do to inform...I'll leave it at that.

(When all my sata ports are non-operable with the exception of the 6 Gb/s, rational points to the issue at hand don't you think?)

I hope they can do an Advanced Replacement and that it chances even tho i was told no on the phone.

They can go jump through flaming hoops if they think I'll go without my system for up to 2 weeks. Will be buying a new motherboard then RMA'ing the old one for a refund if that's the case.

I feel the same way however I cant just go out and buy a new board. Also what new P67 board are you going to buy? It seems like we are going to have to wait a bit. If they cant do a Advanced RMA I'm just going to wait until they have a good stock of motherboards in and then RMA,

Interesting. I think I'll move my 2TB drive off the 3gbs port just to be safe. Then I'll just have my dvd drive left on the 3gbs ports, and that shouldn't ever be an issue.

So far in my testing that seems to be the wise move. With all the hell I have put my mb through the 6 Gb/s ports remain unaffected and have not lost a drive since. ;)

I hope they can do an Advanced Replacement and that it chances even tho i was told no on the phone.

I feel the same way however I cant just go out and buy a new board. Also what new P67 board are you going to buy? It seems like we are going to have to wait a bit. If they cant do a Advanced RMA I'm just going to wait until they have a good stock of motherboards in and then RMA,
UK consumer laws are actually pretty good when it comes to faulty gear, should have a 6 month window to RMA for a refund which could give me the option of buying a Z one if it turns out that you can use the extra hardware for video encoding while still using discrete graphics.

Last edited:

@ duncanm - You can use the 6 Gb/s sata ports with no fear. I have tested them...no need to buy extra devices or another mb. Up to you.
Not much help when you have 7 SATA devices.

20 pounds for a SATA which is probably equivalent to getting a free upgrade to a less flakey mobo revision isn't the end of the world.

My main annoyances have been Intel's vague wording, my supplier's brash attitude and vacuous platitudes and the fanboy's who can't accept that it's possible that Intel may be more concerned with their stock price than their customer's data.

All that has made deciding whether I need the add in board a lot more painful than it should be.

I would be pretty livid if I had to add in a 2 week period without my computer, but already on top of that.

system repaired.

PLEASE NOTE: There is no problem with the Intel 2nd Generation Core Processors themselves.

For additional information, please visit:
link

Hi,

I have a three day old Asus P8P67 Deluxe and I noticed that it took like forever to copy a file to a usb key. I clicked 'more info' during the copy dialogue to see it was copying at 1.0 mb/sec roughly. Then I copied that and other files onto another machine based on 680i and the transfer rate topped out at 5.0 mb./sec. Can anyone else verify this? Is this another chipset performance flaw?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Update - We will have full details of our replacement program up in a couple of days along with a dedicated website for customer care.

So does this mean I should wait or return my Pro board to Amazon? The lack of concrete info is incredibly frustrating. I could build the damn computer if I knew I wouldn't get bent over regard exchange/RMA.

Hi,

I have a three day old Asus P8P67 Deluxe and I noticed that it took like forever to copy a file to a usb key. I clicked 'more info' during the copy dialogue to see it was copying at 1.0 mb/sec roughly. Then I copied that and other files onto another machine based on 680i and the transfer rate topped out at 5.0 mb./sec. Can anyone else verify this? Is this another chipset performance flaw?

Thank you.

I think Gary mentioned that the new BIOS would improve USB speed, so maybe it is a known issue.

So does this mean I should wait or return my Pro board to Amazon? The lack of concrete info is incredibly frustrating. I could build the damn computer if I knew I wouldn't get bent over regard exchange/RMA.

It sounds like most manufacturers/retailers are going to make this right when the time comes around, so I would go ahead and build. Amazon, historically, has great customer service, so I would be inclined to believe they will as well.

Be reasonable Forceman - I am not spreading any fear here...only dispelling the rumor that no data loss can occur. It was my extreme overclocking that accelerated the problem...to the point that I knew about the problem before anyone else here had a clue. I just chalked it up to extreme bad luck until the third time around. After that I knew something was really wrong, then Intel let go with the news. I can tell many here of many more issues involving the SB hardware but it seems no one wants hear of it from me...only an industry exec with probably zero hands on time with the product. I've done all I can do to inform...I'll leave it at that.

(When all my sata ports are non-operable with the exception of the 6 Gb/s, rational points to the issue at hand don't you think?)

Maybe it's just me, but when you are into double-digit post count telling people how you, individually, lost 8 drives to this problem (maybe), you are in the general vicinity of spreading fear. Just curious, but at what point were you going to stop putting working drives on those controllers? When you ran out of drives to sacrifice?

Were you overclocking the BCLK? Now that I think about it more I don't see how CPU multiplier overclocking would impact the chipset in any meaningful way. Increasing multiplier and Vcore wouldn't impact the chipset - were you pushing high volts on VCCIO or VCCSA or other chipset-related voltages?

Last edited:
I'm kind of surprised Amazon hasn't said anything official yet - unless they have and I haven't seen it. Although, they haven't pulled the boards and CPUs like the other retailers have.

If they don't announce something within the next couple of days, at the very least contact both Intel and Amazon about it.

I'm kind of surprised Amazon hasn't said anything official yet - unless they have and I haven't seen it. Although, they haven't pulled the boards and CPUs like the other retailers have.

If they don't announce something within the next couple of days, at the very least contact both Intel and Amazon about it.

I bought a asus lga 115 board from Amazon, and still haven't heard anything. I really like to know to either keep it(hope for replacement when its ready) or return it.

system repaired.

For additional information, please visit:
link

I got is as well. What kind of POS statement is this? I am returning my bundle this weekend to MC. Newegg has decided to punish me once again for buying something at MC.

I bought a asus lga 115 board from Amazon, and still haven't heard anything. I really like to know to either keep it(hope for replacement when its ready) or return it.
I would urge people to contact amazon via the email option and give examples of what microcenter and newegg are doing. I did this yesterday after I saw the newegg response.

Maybe it's just me, but when you are into double-digit post count telling people how you, individually, lost 8 drives to this problem (maybe), you are in the general vicinity of spreading fear. Just curious, but at what point were you going to stop putting working drives on those controllers? When you ran out of drives to sacrifice?

Were you overclocking the BCLK? Now that I think about it more I don't see how CPU multiplier overclocking would impact the chipset in any meaningful way. Increasing multiplier and Vcore wouldn't impact the chipset - were you pushing high volts on VCCIO or VCCSA or other chipset-related voltages?

Yes, it is just you Forceman. Just one of the things you don't understand about overclocking and overclockers in general is our tenacity to reach a goal.

I can see you don't understand many things but I will tell you that the only voltages needed adjusted thus far have been vcore and dram. I equate you to the office lurker who overhears some subject then runs to spout what he has heard as his own or gospel. I have provided concrete evidence on this issue whereas you have donated nothing but the company line. Take that and stick it down your panties...

While we're wating for a replacement, do you think we'll get any support from ASUS like new BIOS updates?

Possibly - There are a number of other issues that need attention besides this one.

Yes, it is just you Forceman. Just one of the things you don't understand about overclocking and overclockers in general is our tenacity to reach a goal.

I can see you don't understand many things but I will tell you that the only voltages needed adjusted thus far have been vcore and dram. I equate you to the office lurker who overhears some subject then runs to spout what he has heard as his own or gospel. I have provided concrete evidence on this issue whereas you have donated nothing but the company line. Take that and stick it down your panties...

Seriously? You systematically destroyed (according to you) 8 drives, and it never occurred to you to stop hooking them up? Or investigating the cause? Or returning the board?

Tenacity I understand, foolishness I don't. What's that quote again? Oh yeah, doing the same thing, the same way, and expecting a different result is insanity. Of the nearly 20,000 views this thread has received, you are the only person who has reported actual hard drive failures [possibly] connected to this chipset issue. So I'm supposed to take your word over that of all the engineers at Intel?

Last edited:
Seriously? You systematically destroyed (according to you) 8 drives, and it never occurred to you to stop hooking them up? Or investigating the cause? Or returning the board?

Tenacity I understand, foolishness I don't. What's that quote again? Oh yeah, doing the same thing, the same way, and expecting a different result is insanity. Of the nearly 20,000 views this thread has received, you are the only person who has reported actual hard drive failures [possibly] connected to this chipset issue. So I'm supposed to take your word over that of all the engineers at Intel?

I never speculated on the cause bonehead. And just how would you have proceeded to investigate the cause? Once again you offer nothing of value...I expect no one to take my word as gospel, just take it for what it is...a factual event.

I never speculated on the cause bonehead. And just how would you have proceeded to investigate the cause? Once again you offer nothing of value...I expect no one to take my word as gospel, just take it for what it is...a factual event.

Dude, I'll have what you're smoking. :D

Back