Asus PB278Q 2560x1440 .233mm is the best

Ultranifty

Limp Gawd
I will try to be brief, however, if you have a 3sec attention span, are 12, and/or you play Alliance side in WoW.....then don't bother reading because this will have more than 7 words.

All of these monitors are using SLI NGTX580 3GB Lightning Extreme's.

Was on 30" ZR30W 2560x1600 .25mm
Great clarity and picture but the screen is very warm and uses 140watts of power
Then started to wonder how immersive triple screens would be vs a 30"

Friend was using triple screen Asus VG278H 120hz screens. I got to see how triple screen was like and it's pretty cool and immersive
I tried triple 23" 5760x1080 but there's some serious CONS to it.
1) Massive video card muscle now and in future as games get more and more complex
2) Have to mess with .ini files or tweak nearly every game to support this rez.
3) Some games don't support SLI, so game uses 1 card for 3 monitors. Ultra ick
4) Side screens can be distracting. BF3, was too much to visually process and really wasn't that big a deal after the novelty wore off
5) Stuck at lower rez 1080p

So decided there's just too many CONS to triple screen just for the side immersion

But that buddy of mine is using 120hz screens. He's crazy rich and can afford crazy vid cards (SLI Titans). I'm only semi-rich so no triple screen 120hz for me.
So tried one 27" 1920x1080 at 120hz.
1) 120hz is smooth, BF3 was like butter, but honestly giving up that high rez for more smoothness is just too much to give up and not enough to gain.
2) My stats are already great at 60hz, and 120hz is really only for shooters. XCOM, Diablo3, (Borderlands 2 was a little better at 120hz), but it's not as big a deal as people think.
3) Mainly dealing with a TN screen and low rez is the deal breaker on 120hz. 3D is meh, the novelty wears off

So I went back to high rez. Asus PB278Q 2560x1440 .233mm. Not only am I back to high rez, but at a smaller dot pitch. BF3 on Ultra at this rez is incredibly clear with stunning sharpness. 60hz is just fine.

High rez 1440p at .233 is where it's at. The clarity is insanely good.

So basically 27" 2560x1440 > 120hz > triple screen. Class dismissed

A nice thing about tighter pixels is that aliasing becomes less of an issue too. This goes for any high PPI monitor running at native resolution. It's going to be even nicer when the 2880x1620 27" screens come out this year.

I'm very happy with my PB278Q also. I see zero flickering and the PWM thing is a totally overblown issue by a few people.

2) My stats are already great at 60hz, and 120hz is really only for shooters. XCOM, Diablo3, (Borderlands 2 was a little better at 120hz), but it's not as big a deal as people think.

So I went back to high rez. Asus PB278Q 2560x1440 .233mm. Not only am I back to high rez, but at a smaller dot pitch. BF3 on Ultra at this rez is incredibly clear with stunning sharpness. 60hz is just fine.

I used to be a diehard IPS fan and also used to think the difference between 60hz and 120hz was hardly noticable......until I got my 144hz monitor and used it for a few weeks. Now my IPS is collecting dust.

120+ Hz panels being only for FPS is BS. There is a noticable difference in smoothness in FSX, TS2013, SHV, MW:O, etc. I used my 144hz panel for a few weeks, went back to my 60hz to see if I would notice a change and the difference was staggering. THe 60hz actually made my eyes water from the lack of smoothness.

Also, pixel density isn't nearly that important unless you sit with your nose up against the screen.

I've used 120hz for months, before that was happy and fine with high rez and 60hz, so then went to 120hz for few months. It's smoother, yes, but the drop is resolution is disgusting

You 120hz guys act like 60hz is just unplayable. I say that 1920x1080 with your 120hz is a disgusting res. .31mm dot pitch? hehe, no thanks.

It's fine, each his own. I've tasted them all. High rez for me, no comparison.
You can do the math and go 60hz to 120hz....DOUBLE AWESOME!!!! But sorry, the visual difference to our eyes is not twice as awesome.

Gaming high rez however.....is more than twice as awesome.

It all won't matter in the future. As OLED gets better, it doesn't have refresh limitations and it has no backlight. Not limited to 60, 120, or 144hz. Will display as fast as your vids can go.
Super duper, as long as it's better clarity than [email protected] then it's the holy grail.

do you notice any backlight bleed or light that's not uniform across the entire screen? I've been wanting one of these since they came out but have been hesitant to switch from 5760x1080.

I definitely have to agree with the 1440p IPS > 120hz. I've actually been using a Korean 27" 1440p IPS at 120hz, but if I had to choose one, it's the sharpness and clarity of the 1440p and the accuracy of the IPS that wins.
I would be willing to give a 24" 1080p IPS @ 120hz a try (if they existed). I just refuse to go back to a TN panel.

Back