ASUS PA238Q - Wow. Just wow.

Hohum

n00b
I've owned the DELL U2412M for a while now and found it to be excellent for general PC use. The picture and colours have been fantastic for my use, and I've really been spoiled by the 16:10 / 1980x1200 real estate.

That said, the lack of HDMI, lack of headphone jack and general unresponsiveness/ghosting for gaming has been leading me to look elsewhere lately. I'd love to hook my PS3, 360 and PC all to the same screen and have headphones directly out of the monitor for the consoles.

Not wanting to sacrifice the IPS image quality I'd become accustomed to, I plunged for the ASUS PA238Q. The general consensus of online reviews I read seemed to paint a positive picture. I bought it today, and sadly, it's going back to the store tomorrow.

This screen has without a doubt, the worst backlight bleed of any panel I've owned to date. I am 100% sure that I have a faulty panel, but to be perfectly honest I would rather get my money back than play UPS-tag with ASUS technical support until I finally get a half-decent panel.

On a pure black screen, the entire bottom left and upper right quadrants are washed-out grey. I fiddled around with the settings to try and lessen this, but it made little difference. Even in vivid games I could see a marked difference across the whole panel - the uniformity seems awful even to the naked eye. Finally I loaded up Skyrim, and the bleed was so bad I could barely make out the white-on-black Bethesda logo in the lower-left corner of the welcome screen.

In short - even if this has been discussed to death, I feel the need to shout "Buyer Beware!" for this screen. Despite all the good reviews, if you can't even see the screen due to ASUS and their pitiful quality control, well...that speaks for itself. Kudos to those who have a good panel and are enjoying it - back to the Dell for me!

So do you notice the not so "snappy" feeling on the U2412M?

I'm kinda considering getting the U2412M but not sure if the "input lag" or not enough fast "snappy" feel will bother me.

Go with a Korean Catleap monitor and don't worry about input lag.

So do you notice the not so "snappy" feeling on the U2412M?

I'm kinda considering getting the U2412M but not sure if the "input lag" or not enough fast "snappy" feel will bother me.

Eh - good question. I wouldn't call it snappy, nor would I really call it sluggish. It's been adequate for gaming, and I've only really had slight concerns with FPS and racing games.

Depends on your use I guess. If you're a serious FPS or racing gamer then I would look to a 120hz TN panel. If, like me, you want it for some casual gaming and general use, it's a fantastic choice. If only they'd thrown an HDMI and audio out in there I'd be sold on this screen for a long time.

As I said above, the picture quality is the best of all the screens I've owned. Perhaps it's not 100% accurate but it looks great to me :)

I have two of the PA248Qs and they look fantastic.. glad I didn't go with it's little brother :/

Possible you have a bad unit considering how noticeable the backlight bleeding is?

I've literally never seen an Asus display that didn't have something wrong with it. I'm not saying they're not out there but... man.

I had two bad displays, one from HP one from LG before getting my PA238Q, I'm safe to say all brands have DOA units, yours obviously falls into that category.

I'm not saying the PA238Q is a great screen, it lacks in some ui regards as well as backlight uniformity, but I've seen way worse to continue searching for a better screen.
Not to mention I dislike 6-bit(A-FRC) panels, so no Dell 2412 for me.
On black levels, its actually fairly good there, way better than the HP LP2475W, nearly no glow.
No dead pixels either.
I'd not buy a second PA238Q or another ASUS product in the near future but it was worth the 300 bucks it cost. If only that finding something better was not possible given the constraints of price, power usage and so on.

Last edited:
Back