Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe, SG08 Build

Hibernation always shows the bios screen and generally... sucks

If that's the case it does suck. Still took 20 seconds to come back up and even then the system was in an odd state. Screen flicker. Sure wasn't like the video of 5 seconds. Not worth it in this experience.

If that's the case it does suck. Still took 20 seconds to come back up and even then the system was in an odd state. Screen flicker. Sure wasn't like the video of 5 seconds. Not worth it in this experience.

Yea, i got the same result also on my end. With the 25 sec cold boot, might as well do the complete shut down and start up.

I also was able to use Intel's Rapid Start on this machine. The process for doing so is to create a hibernate partition the same size as your RAM.

Per: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/p/19410148/19963290.aspx

I have 16GB RAM so:

a)
Code:
Diskpart
<hit enter>

b)
Code:
Select disk 0
( select disk 0 means select the first disk, select disk 1 will be the second disk, you need to select the SSD disk)

c)
Code:
Create partition primary size=16384 id=84

Then run the Rapid Start software provided by ASUS and it should work.

I followed instructions a little differently, because I have unallocated space, and it works for me. Asus didn't even include the command for GPT, but luckily Gigabyte had it in their manuals (listed below).
Edit: First Rapid Start breaks Coretemp for some reason with the Asus, not the Asrock and I'm using the newest Rapid Start 1.0.0.1024
http://www.station-drivers.com/tele...start_1.0.0.1024(www.station-drivers.com).exe

MBR set id=84 override
GPT set id=D3BFE2DE-3DAF-11DF-BA40-E3A556D89593

partgm.jpg

Last edited:
I tried the more current version of Rapid Start and it still didn't perform as I expected. The boot up times weren't really improved and the state of the machine after returning from hibernation was still flaky. If I can't get this to come up in say 5 seconds or so I just don't see the benefit.

And why the fuss? S3 is green enough imho, the only advantage of S5 is it can survive power outages... you can enable hybrid sleep and have both.

So I am doing the exact same build as you Moogoos, and the last of my parts arrive on Saturday, almost all my parts. The part left to buy is a heatsink for my i5. Im on the fence about the watercooling option as I am afraid that it will be to noisy. Is it at all possible for you to make a video of your setup showing the noise level factor of your rig.

If anybody has any other options about possible aftermarket heatsinks...

thanks

gist

What I said on the other 77-I thread yesterday on the same topic was:

Well I'm hoping to have secured one too and intend to try a Noctua NH-L12 (92mm fan only) in my SUGO 06.
At first sight this is a more expensive option than a Samuel 17 or AXP-140 but it comes with two Noctua PWM fans which sweetens things a bit. On the other hand it's still not listed one way or the other under compatability on Noctua site but I'm optimsitic it will fit - I've got LP DRAM for instance. I'll then try the 12cm as a replacement case fan - it's high pressure and 4 pin so ought to be useful.
For the Samuel 17 any 25mm fan should be OK. There's prob more space in a SUGO 08 but for the AXP-140 in a 06 I've seen that the 15mm high 12cm PWM Coolermaster fan they use in the Geminii M4 is available as a spare.

Someone with 77-I and NH-L12 http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?p=3057195

So I am doing the exact same build as you Moogoos, and the last of my parts arrive on Saturday, almost all my parts. The part left to buy is a heatsink for my i5. Im on the fence about the watercooling option as I am afraid that it will be to noisy. Is it at all possible for you to make a video of your setup showing the noise level factor of your rig.

If anybody has any other options about possible aftermarket heatsinks...

thanks

gist

It's quiet. VERY quiet. Some Corsair units are noisier than others in regards to the pump. I have heard some that sound like hard drives clicking and others that don't at all.

Quick question Moogoos. With the H80 in your SG08, how much space do you have to spare using a push/pull setup? I was thinking on using an Antec Kuhler 920 in push/pull, but it has a much thicker radiator than the H80 (49mm vs 38mm) and I'm wondering if all that would fit or not.

What I said on the other 77-I thread yesterday on the same topic was:

Well I'm hoping to have secured one too and intend to try a Noctua NH-L12 (92mm fan only) in my SUGO 06.
At first sight this is a more expensive option than a Samuel 17 or AXP-140 but it comes with two Noctua PWM fans which sweetens things a bit. On the other hand it's still not listed one way or the other under compatability on Noctua site but I'm optimsitic it will fit - I've got LP DRAM for instance. I'll then try the 12cm as a replacement case fan - it's high pressure and 4 pin so ought to be useful.
For the Samuel 17 any 25mm fan should be OK. There's prob more space in a SUGO 08 but for the AXP-140 in a 06 I've seen that the 15mm high 12cm PWM Coolermaster fan they use in the Geminii M4 is available as a spare.

Someone with 77-I and NH-L12 http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?p=3057195

Thanks for the heads up on that post, I saw it earlier but on some Asian forum. Unforunately according to LegitReviews they state that the NH-L12 is NOT for overclockers and is made for CPU's of 95w or lower. You can read the review here

Moogoos, what kind of temps are you experiencing w/ the H80, did you ever get to see your temps from the H60??

Thanks for the heads up on that post, I saw it earlier but on some Asian forum. Unforunately according to LegitReviews they state that the NH-L12 is NOT for overclockers and is made for CPU's of 95w or lower. You can read the review here

Moogoos, what kind of temps are you experiencing w/ the H80, did you ever get to see your temps from the H60??

Stock
Idle 30 degrees
Load 51 degrees

See sig for overclocked results.

I think that's a rather black-and-white conclusion and we were talking about SFF air coolers none of which will be top performers. Is an overlclocker some special person who builds PCs to run at the highest possible clock over stock? If so then they're not so clever after all to be working in SFF.
I'm trying to build a small practical living-room PC and intend to try the Noctua. With an i5K I'll find its clock limits ready for whenever I need it flat-out for video conversion etc but Ivy runs hot anyway so I'm not sure excessive cooling is going to help. On the other hand it's lower TDP. Mostly it just needs to be quiet so underclocking/volting will likely be the order of the day. Ivy users are having to get used to the temps reading higher - anyway it's just another number like clock freq.

9 second mark you can see how much room:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVvGZtsdqy8

Thanks. After doing some more research, it appears as though the H80's cold plate + pump unit is much thicker (39mm) than the Kuhler 920's (28mm) so the Kuhler 920 should fit even though it has a thicker radiator. Now I just need to find a good pair of fans to use on it because I don't think I want to use the noisy stock fans that come with it. I'm thinking a 140x25mm fan with 120mm mounting holes for the top and a 120mm for the bottom, both with good static pressure. Any recommendations? I'll move this conversation to my own build log so I don't clutter this thread if need be.

Last edited:
This my first mitx build, and I'm copying this set up. My question is 'what about the optical drive? I need a link on a good tutorial on how to flash drive windows7, if I opt for not using a slim drive.

Last edited:
This my first mitx build, and I'm copying this set up. My question is 'what about the optical drive? I need a link on a good tutorial on how to flash drive windows7, if I opt for not using a slim drive.

Buy a USB external DVD/ROM drive, slim or not. Then use as necessary. That's my recommendation. Easy. Cheap.

Thanks. One more thing can I use a windows7 cd a second time. I build a system last year with a brand new W7 64 bit. Can I use it again on this new system or do I need to get a new one?
edit: I got the answer. must buy a new 1

Last edited:
Thanks. One more thing can I use a windows7 cd a second time. I build a system last year with a brand new W7 64 bit. Can I use it again on this new system or do I need to get a new one?
edit: I got the answer. must buy a new 1

I was always under the impression that if you decommissioned the old build as in never ran it again as that setup that you could reuse oem keys. You just need to call M$ and re-activate.

I was always under the impression that if you decommissioned the old build as in never ran it again as that setup that you could reuse oem keys. You just need to call M$ and re-activate.

That would leave me with one computer with windows7. I was hoping to use one w7 cd on both. But I can't.

I think if it wasn't an OEM license you can re-activate but I don't know if it's allowed in the EULA

Only slightly related... Gonna pull the trigger on the ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe or the ASRock Z77E-ITX in the coming weeks. Does anyone know if it's possible to remove the mini-pcie wifi card from either of these? I've looked at pictures, hunted around online and can't seem to figure out if it's possible or not... Looks like the card is obstructed during removal in both cases.

Only slightly related... Gonna pull the trigger on the ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe or the ASRock Z77E-ITX in the coming weeks. Does anyone know if it's possible to remove the mini-pcie wifi card from either of these? I've looked at pictures, hunted around online and can't seem to figure out if it's possible or not... Looks like the card is obstructed during removal in both cases.

Yes, I've owned both boards and have replaced their onboard wifi with an Intel N6300.

Why do you guy replace the onboard wifi? is the N6300 a much better card?

For myself I'm going to be putting one of these in so I can mount a pcie sound card. Little leery about any possible emi generated by the adapter but I'm willing to try it.

Yes, I've owned both boards and have replaced their onboard wifi with an Intel N6300.

Having owned both boards... Do you recommend the ASRock one? It seems like the boot times on the ASUS board are sub-par, and the extra power handling doesn't do much in the real world. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the replies! xDD

Im thinking of these setup with 2500k and gtx 670. Can it perform the same as the bigger motherboard out there gaming wise? I want to to build a gaming machine in ssf form just for fun.

Im thinking of these setup with 2500k and gtx 670. Can it perform the same as the bigger motherboard out there gaming wise? I want to to build a gaming machine in ssf form just for fun.

Would recommend an ivy bridge 3570k for the cpu, nice aftermarket cooler (seems like the corsair and antec sealed loop liquid coolers are pretty good), and an exhaust/blower style 670 personally. The evga 670 ftw in particular looks like a nice card. there are some non-reference coolers (axial fans) which perform better but they exhaust warm air into the case, can't really name too many sff cases that have killer airflow. what case you thinking about getting?

Would recommend an ivy bridge 3570k for the cpu, nice aftermarket cooler (seems like the corsair and antec sealed loop liquid coolers are pretty good), and an exhaust/blower style 670 personally. The evga 670 ftw in particular looks like a nice card. there are some non-reference coolers (axial fans) which perform better but they exhaust warm air into the case, can't really name too many sff cases that have killer airflow. what case you thinking about getting?

The thing is i already have the matx setup for a week now. I want to try out the mini itx board just for a change and return the matx setup right now and get the op setup. I still want to stay with 2500k because i dont think its that worth replacing since its not that of a bug difference between IB and SB. As for the gpu, i already have the 670 from gigabyte. Its not a reference cooler so it will blow the hot air inside the case.

Back