ASUS P8Z68-V Pro sold out. ASRock Z68?

SDraconis

Limp Gawd
I've got all my new parts for my new 2500k build ordered, except the mobo which is out-of-stock, backordered, or just overpriced at locations that have it. The ASRock Z68 Extreme4 is available, but as expensive or more as the P8Z68-V Pro. What am I losing if I go with that, or the cheaper and more tempting ASRock Z68 Pro3?

I'm probably in the minority here, but I don't plan on doing multiple discrete GPUs, so that's not a concern. I am quite interested in the new Z68 features (Virtu, SSD caching, Quick Sync) though.

Last edited:
As an FYI, nVidia's Synergy technology is going to wipe the floor with Virtu when it is released. So, don't feel compelled to get a Virtu licensed board, as Syngergy will work with any Z series board

As an FYI, nVidia's Synergy technology is going to wipe the floor with Virtu when it is released. So, don't feel compelled to get a Virtu licensed board, as Syngergy will work with any Z series board
I think all the Z68 boards I was looking at have Virtu right now, but good to know.

On my own, the main differences for the ASRock Z68 Pro3 are:
  • No extra SATA 3 controller (only 2 ports)
  • Only 1 PCI-E x16 slot
  • No firewire nor eSATA
  • No PHY interconnect for the NIC

I found a review at TweakTown. If that's it for the big differences, I think I'm going to save my money and get the ASRock board.

I know everyone rips on toms hardware here....but they just compared those two boards, you should check it out. It lays out exactly what you're looking for, hope this helps.

Back