Asus P8Z68-V Mouse Issues

FlipperBizkut

[H]ard|Gawd
I just recently got this rig built, and on first boot, I didn't have any mouse in the BIOS. I started installing Windows 7, and I still didn't have any mouse. After a couple of restarts not fixing the issue, I decided to just unplug it and plug it back in while booted. That worked. I had mouse.

Now, about half the time I boot up, I have no mouse, and the other half of the time, it works just fine. One time, my USB keyboard didn't work either. I should mention that 100% of the time, my keyboard's numlock and my mouse's LEDs are lit up.

I have tried different USB ports to no avail. I have my keyboard and mouse plugged into the topmost USB 2 ports on the back of the mobo currently.

Anyone have this problem, or know how to fix it?

Thanks.

Hi,

When I last had trouble with USB devices working randomly, it was because my PSU was not producing enough juice. What PSU do you have in this system? (or full sys specs perhaps)

Lian Li Lancool PC-K62
Asus P8Z68-V
Intel Core i5-2500K
G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB DDR3 1600
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Sony Optiarc CD/DVD Burner
Antec High Current Gamer Series 620W

The problem is just random. The devices are getting power (at least some due to the lights coming on), but sometimes they just don't work.

I booted up last night, and went straight from cold boot into the bios. I was looking for USB settings or whatnot. The mouse was working in the bios. When I exited the bios (without saving), and booted into windows (no power down or anything), the mouse was no longer working. This is the first time I have seen that. I don't think it is a windows problem though since sometimes it doesn't work in the bios either.

Thanks for helping. This is driving me crazy.

edit: everything is running at stock speeds atm too

just fyi, i saw in the newegg feedback comments by 'vlad' for the ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z somekind of '*USB Problem fix*' which might be applicable to your Asus P8Z68-V USB issue..
link here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131760

Cons: USB Problem if you don't know how to fix it. After fix it works flawlessly.

Other Thoughts: *USB Problem fix*

If you're having problems with the rear panel USB ports shutting down here is the best solution.
1. Uninstall your 3.0 USB software.
2. Shutdown
3. Unplug everything from rear panel USB
4. Attach your keyboard mouse to the USB ports on the face of the board (i.e. the place where you plug in your case's front usb ports, attach your stuff there. Also you can use the extension that comes with the board). Basically have nothing attached to the rear panel USB ports.
5. Press and hold the CMOS button on the rear panel for 10 seconds to reset the BIOS (your computer should be off)
6. Power on the computer with a fresh BIOS (you can go into the BIOS to save the fresh one if you want)
7. Stat up everything (no USB on rear panel yet)
8. Install the software FROM THE ASUS SITE
9. After installation you can now plug things into the rear panel
10. Problem fixed! (The reason IMO is that there is a conflict of plugging in the keyboard mouse before installing the latest

I'm keeping a list of USB devices with detection probs

Which SPECIFIC mouse and KB are giving you trouble
Need brand and model #

Heh. It was from a review from another tech site. Try this one... link. At any rate, it is a discontinued Razer brand Diamondback Plasma. It is the blue one.

Well, lessee what we got here
You have a super trick 7 button mouse that came out in 2005, which at the time was $140. The drivers then went up from XP to Vista only.
The LATEST vers drivers for the 3G came out in May 2011, this has Win 7 compliance.

Xlcr gave you a good tip (and some good useful insight for me - thnx m8t3) which you promply totally ignored. Which prob made him feel real good. The sometime work, sometimes no work always seems to be the case of Windows confusion of what exactly to utilize, or insufficient time for USB to initiate before being passed thru - kinda like a web page timeout.

So, lets do this. Go to Fry's or someplace and buy a cheap $8 USB 2.0 no name WIRED mouse that comes with an install driver CD. ONLY use uppermost 2 USB 2.0 ports on I/O panel for mouse and KB.
Boot into windows with them and install drivers for your KB and el cheapo mouse. Do not even think of running any KB mouse on a SB mobo without loading drivers for them, plus checking to see they ARE loaded in dev manager and then full shutdown and reboot. See what happens.

Are you using 1.01 drivers for your "discontinued mouse"? Not the 1.00 (Eng)?
2j3p2lw.jpg

Second advice - buy a new Razer G manufacturred within the last 6 months that prob has been qualified for new type mobo, and load the Win 7 drivers for it.

Go into bios and make sure ALL 3 usb are enabled, especially legacy

And say thanks to xlcr for taking the time to try and help.
Right?

Last edited:
Back