Asus P8Z68-V LE Overclocking?

So I just bought a P8Z68-V LE and notice it doesn't have these DIGI+ VRM options. How does this affect my overclocking? I was able to get the cpu to 4.4 pretty easily. But I'm worried the lack of additional features will hurt stability in the long run.

Thinking about swapping for a P8Z68-V

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131792

Thanks.

The P8Z68-V LE is fine for such moderate overclocks. It's just that the lack of discrete manual CPU voltage settings and several other "overclocking-friendly" features will limit the maximum stable overclock of these lower-end boards (meaning that the highest overclocks on these lower-end boards generally will not be as high as those on more expensive boards).

In other words, the P8Z68-V LE is perfectly fine @ 4.4GHz with your CPU. But if you want to take that CPU to, say, 4.7 or 4.8 GHz, then yes, exchange it for the P8Z68-V/GEN3.

Last edited:
So should I just follow the OC guides minus the DIGI+ stuff?

It's weird that the POST screen still shows the stock speeds. Is that because of the "Adjust by OS" setting?

Thanks.

So should I just follow the OC guides minus the DIGI+ stuff?

It's weird that the POST screen still shows the stock speeds. Is that because of the "Adjust by OS" setting?

Thanks.

My P8P67 PRO also shows stock speed in the POST screen even when the CPU is heavily overclocked. This is because the Asus EFI defaults to stock speed during POST, then switches to the overclocked speed during OS boot.

And the OC guides assume that you have one of the higher-end boards. With the P8Z68-V LE or any of the other lower-end Asus Z68 mobos that lack discrete manual CPU voltage settings, don't go above 4.5 or 4.6 GHz unless you want to risk stability issues or overheating (at 4.6 GHz, the Asus mobos select 1.35V for the CPU voltage, and at 4.7GHz, Asus uses 1.4V by default). This recommendation is a CYA measure against the autoselection of voltages that may be dangerously high for an LGA 1155 CPU.

Last edited:
Alright thanks. I'll just stick with 4.4ghz for now. Can't see myself wanting anymore. Appreciate the help.

Yeah. I have a new build too, only had it for a month or so. I got the Asus LX which is basically the same as the LE. I didnt get into ocing yet as I dont really need it with my 2500k, but I was wondering where the damn cpu voltage was when I was tinkering around. That explains it.

I do plan on ocing at some point. I was only planning on going for around 4.3ghz or so anyways so it is probably not that big of an issue. I dont like the fact that I cant mess with the cpu voltage though.

Last edited:
Kind of annoys me how they would take out bios settings. Usually the stuff they cut is like extras, usb ports, sata ports, SLI, pci slots, etc.

The board had good reviews and stuff, and it was Z68, and paying like $130 I expected it to have all the bios features for proper OC'ing.

Kind of annoys me how they would take out bios settings. Usually the stuff they cut is like extras, usb ports, sata ports, SLI, pci slots, etc.

The board had good reviews and stuff, and it was Z68, and paying like $130 I expected it to have all the bios features for proper OC'ing.

You would think so. $130 is not exactly a "budget" board imo. I guess they had to do it to justify the crazy price tags of their higher end models because those models really only offer a few other features and connectors that the lower models dont. I can kind of see their logic when the board is not marketed towards the enthusiast overclockers and not really designed to overclock on, but still......

While I did get my LX for $70 with the bundle at microcenter, I think it should still have the ability to change cpu voltage heh.

I believe you can change the CPU voltage using offset, just not through a manual fixed Vcore.

Back