Asus P8P67 PRO Total Memory Amount

pcgeek86

Limp Gawd
I just wanted to share the following factoids with the community regarding memory on the Asus P8P67 PRO motherboard.

1. The earliest version of the P8P67 PRO BIOS only allowed Windows 7 64-bit to recognize 4GB of memory, even though the BIOS itself and other utilities (eg. CPU-Z) showed 8192MB correctly.

2. The 1003 version of the BIOS, dated 12/29/10, allowed Windows 7 64-bit to see 8GB of RAM

3. The 1003 version of the BIOS was unable to POST with 4x4GB Gskill 1333Mhz DDR3 DIMMs installed. Removing 2 of the DIMMs allowed the system to boot and properly see 8GB.

4. Upgrading the BIOS to beta version 1053, dated 1/3/11, allows the system to POST with 4x4GB Gskill DIMMs installed

5. Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit shows 16.0GB of RAM in the System Properties window, as well as in task manager

224482672.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the info! good to know... i'm almost about to pull the trigger on this board and a 2600K...

Thanks man! I'm getting the exact same system UPS'ed from Newegg tomorrow... along with 16gb's of G-Skill 1600 RAM. You just saved me a huge headache!;)

I have it recognizing 16GB of the GSkill Snipers under the original 0402 BIOS. But, as soon as I push the processor up it goes down to 8GB.

Updating from 0402 to 1003 fixed the RAM detection problem but now I am facing another problem in that the system won't overclock beyond 3.5. The multiplier doesn't seem to want to go beyond 34.

Have been using the out-of-the-box BIOS for the past week and was having problems getting my sticks recognized. I actually had to remove all but one chip to get Win7 to install.

For reference, what I've been doing in the meantime is:
- Turn on system
- Watch for RAM amount
- If only 8 gigs, instead of 16, press and hold the button on the mobo that's located to the right of the RAM slots
- PC shuts off and on a few times, memory is recognized properly

I've had to repeat this process any time my PC has been fully shut down for more than a few minutes.

I'll give the bios update a shot and see what happens.

Ugh..I got this board with a 2500K from Microcenter yesterday. I'm beginning to wonder if I should even try the board now- Asus is usually reliable.

I'm using the 1053 beta bios and had no issues running 2 x 4GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 in the recommended slots.

Updating from 0402 to 1003 fixed the RAM detection problem but now I am facing another problem in that the system won't overclock beyond 3.5. The multiplier doesn't seem to want to go beyond 34.

I know this may sounds like a dumb question but you did buy a K cpu right?

Yeah, I should have mentioned it was a 2600K. I am confident it is probably something I am not doing properly or I am breaking Kyle's prediction stupid...errr...inexperienced users being able to do the overclock. Too little time right now to properly research things so if anyone has a simple guide that would help me troubleshoot.

I never run out of box mobo BIOS if there is an update. Hell it was months before an update was released to allow my G15 keyboard to work in the BIOS of my P6T Deluxe.

Specs in sig... I'm pretty sure mine only recognizes 8 GB in the bios but recognizes all 16 GB in Windows.

Back