Asus P8P67 Pro and UEFI booting

Hi all, I'm having a few problems with a new Sandybridge systems i'm putting together at the moment, mainly related to the hard drive and what seems a lack of UEFI boot support from the EFI BIOS.

So far i've tried just about every google result to get windows 7 x64 to install in EFI mode with a full 3TB available but it simply will not work. It seems Windows setup also boots in BIOS mode and thus will only install with the older MBR type limiting me to ~2TB.

The EFI BIOS has no options to force BIOS or UEFI booting like i've seen in a few screenshots. The board is set to AHCI mode on the SATA ports and i've tried both the Intel 6GB/s ports and the Marvell ports the board also has, none work.

If i manually force the drive into a GPT mode with a 2.8TB partition then Windows setup says it cannot install to a GPT drive. On following advice online i tried making a UEFI only Windows 7 DVD to force a UEFI boot, but the board will not boot this disk at all, leading me to believe there is no UEFI boot support what so ever.

I've also tried updating the motherboard to the most recent BIOS image - no change.

Does anyone have any ideas or know a setting i'm missing somewhere, or is this a motherboard/EFI issue?

Cheers for any help!

I would think you would need to boot into EFI of the DVD. If you press F8 before BIOS posts* it should give you a boot selection. Choose the one that has UEFI before your DVD drive with the Windows installation disk. I've never tried installing Windows to a GPT but hopefully there should be some options to format the hard drive to GPT. You might need to delete any MBR partitions (which I think you should be able to do in the Windows Setup) so as to present a clean disk but I'm not sure. See how it goes.

*Alternatively you could go into the BIOS - Advanced - Boot and select the boot override as UEFI: CDRom?

In the BIOS when you click exit you are proposed to launch EFI shell
I tried that to boot Windows 7 from an USB and from a DVD but both failed?
Also tried UEFI boot from DVD?
Any progress on this subject

I just tried installing Windows 7 on a scrap drive using EFI and P8P67EVO. np

Unfortunately I don't have a 3TB drive to try but just using the UEFI:DVDROM name? to boot with x64 (AFAIK there is no option to install EFI with Windows 32-bit) and deleting the old partitions on the disk in setup to leave an empty disk was enough. You do have to be quick though to "press any button" to boot from the DVD when prompted.

gptm.png

I've been trying to get this to work for hours! Can you provide a step-by-step of what you did to get this working?

I just tried installing Windows 7 on a scrap drive using EFI and P8P67EVO. np

Unfortunately I don't have a 3TB drive to try but just using the UEFI:DVDROM name? to boot with x64 (AFAIK there is no option to install EFI with Windows 32-bit) and deleting the old partitions on the disk in setup to leave an empty disk was enough. You do have to be quick though to "press any button" to boot from the DVD when prompted.

gptm.png

Bump on this, i have a p8p67 evo but see no UEFI boot options in my bios......

Geezus
If you want to just see a full 3TB drive as DATA (non boot) all you have to do is go to cmd prompt in Win 7 or Win 7 DVD

diskpart
lis dis
sel dis X (X is number of 3 TB disk)
clean
convert GPT
cre par pri
format fs=ntfs quick label=DSK2_VOL1
assign

Your boot drive can be anything with Win 7 X64 and you will see the full 3TB (2.794GB base 2) drive as long as IT is GPT, even data non boot mode
If the 3TB drive is MBR it will show as 2.048GB and 745MB unallocated

For making GPT boot drive:
It will not happen if you have any partitions on drive, was once MBR or has RAID metadata on it
Best proceedure is to secure erase SSD and killdisk (freeware) spinner HDD at least 50GB (5% of a 1TB drive)
Unplug all other HDD SSD temporarily
Put Win 7 X64 in DVD drive
As was said - there is no GPT bios setting for install
It is the MODE the DVD is in that counts
UEFI Mode equals GPT install on a blank drive
Non UEFI mode means MSDOS MBR mode
When installing Win 7 in GPT mode it will auto create the 100MB FAT32 primary EFI.sys partition and the hidden 128MB FAT32 primary MSR partition
GPT has 128 primary maximum
Once a GPT drive is made after final Win 7 install reboot the GPT drive must be first in boot order because it will not boot thru an MBR mode device HDD SSD DVD BRD USB
The GPT booting drive must be set in boot page options as Winbootmanager.
Not necessary for GPT data drive.
Winbootmanager will not show up on boot page until you reboot a few times to bios, obviously a rather sloppy proceedure
Once you see the winbootmanager option appear, it sticks around even tho you remove the GPT drive - just in case.

qMG3f.jpg

CgdVf.jpg

vXx7P.jpg

YWczQ.jpg

1hBO0.jpg

bRZwA.jpg

13pTn.jpg

C4s33.jpg

Last edited:
Will none of those UEFI options show in the bios unless you have a 2tb+ hdd fitted ? I have my SSD and a 1TB f3 fitted, and get 0 UEFI boot options in the bios at all, running latest bios p8p67 evo.

EDIT --- Put win 7 x64 disc in and now have UEFI options :)

Last edited:
Back