ASUS P8P67 PRO adding RAID gives BSOD

BrianLR

n00b
I am trying to add 2 x 450 GB WDC Velociraptor drives as a RAID 0 on the Intel 6GB/s Ports 0 and 1
Windows 7 Pro 64bit is on a Kingston 64GB SDD on SATA 3gbs port 4
Kingston 30GB SSD on SATA 3gbs port 5
Marvel SATA ports disabled
I have added the Intel RST drivers to Windows.
I can set RAID mode in BIOS and then get into the Intel Rapid Storage Option ROM utility by pressing Ctrl+I now and setup the RAID Volumes and then exit.
When Windows starts to load it crashes to BSOD
Resetting to AHCI Mode system boots OK

Any suggestion what to try next!

[Product Information]
*Product Type : Motherboard
*Product Model : P8P67 PRO

[Motherboard Specification]
*Motherboard Revision : 3.0
*Motherboard BIOS Revision : 1502

[VGA Card Specification]
*VGA Card Model : 560TI 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E
*VGA Card Chipset : NVIDIA
*VGA Card Driver : 270.61

[CPU Specification]
*CPU Vendor : INTEL
*CPU Type : LGA1155 I7 2600K
*CPU Speed : 3.40GHZ

[Memory Specification]
*Memory Vendor : GSKILL
*Memory Model : DDR3-1600 PC3-12800
*Memory Capacity : 4 X 4 GB

[HDD Specification]
HDD Vendor : KINGSTON SSD + WDC VR
HDD Model : 64GB + 30GB SSD +2 X 450GB VR
HDD Capacity : 64GB + 30gB + 2 X 450GB

*Operating System : Windows 7 Pro 64bit

When you set the setting to RAID your changing the controller your OS is on also correct? The AHCI and RAID drivers are two differnet drivers. If you set it to RAID mode you would have had to load your OS with it in this function. Make sense? The BSOD is because your controller appears different now to the OS when in RAID mode. Do you the Marvell 6gb ports? Maybe you can RAID on those so you can keep your Intel ports as AHCI.

I'm having the exact same problem. Trying to add two 1.5TB disks as a RAID mirror, but since I've already installed W7 on a 160GB drive, when I change the mode to RAID, Windows won't boot anymore. The manual says "setting RAID will change ALL SATA ports", which I think is why this is happening. Copyright's suggestion of trying to RAID on just the Marvell controller SATA ports might work ... I'm off to try that now.

Update for those who might be having similar issues: I actually got RAID1 (mirror) to work on the Intel controllers withOUT having to reinstall my OS. Unfortunately I'm not sure exactly how I got it working ... but the following was the entire process I followed (my 160 GB boot drive is on SATA6G_2 and dual 1.5 TB RAID drives are on SATA3G_3 and SATA3G_4):

1. Enter UEFI BIOS, change SATA mode from AHCI to RAID. Reboot.
2. Enter RAID options (CTRL-i) and create a RAID volume using the 1.5 TB drives. Reboot.
3. Get BSOD.
4. Enter UEFI BIOS, change SATA mode back to AHCI, but do not Delete RAID Volume. Reboot.
5. In Windows, open Intel Rapid Storage Technology. Nothing changed, just open and close.
6. As found in this post, enable switching between all IDE/AHCI/RAID modes by changing "Start" Values in these keys to 0:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Msahci\Start
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Pciide\Start
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\servic es\iaStorV\Start

(for me only the last one was not already set to 0)

7. Update Intel RST drivers from 10.0.0.1046 to 10.1.0.1008. Reboot.
8. Enter UEFI BIOS, change SATA mode from AHCI to RAID. Reboot.
9. Windows now boots! And Intel RST now pops up a message saying that data backup has now been enabled; opening RST shows the RAID volume working correctly.

Like I said, I don't know which step did it ... but it's working!

Back