Asus P8P67 Deluxe - No Video After Video Sleep

AbSoluTc

n00b
I have an Asus P8P67 Deluxe, default, no overclocking. Running Crossfire ATI 5870 1 Gig cards. If I set Win 7 to turn off my monitor after 5 minutes, sometimes it will not turn the screen back on after I move the mouse or hit a key on the keyboard. I can hear that the machine is still running and working by the sounds windows makes when I hit invalid keys. The only way to get it out of this state is to reset the machine.

I have read all over the internet about this issue, similar issues and have tried all the known fixes. New bios, over voltage and everything else. Nothing seems to fix it. It happens 1 out of 8 times maybe? It's really annoying. Anyone have a solution? Is it a MOBO or Video issue? I really can't tell at this point anymore.

Monitor is a Dell 3008WFP connected via dual link dvi. Any help would be appreciated.

This same thing happens to me. Oftentimes I come home from work and my computer needs to be hard reset, just like yours. So far I have never seen any solution to this nor has ASUS helped at all via support forms.

just set monitor off "never" and use screensaver x minutes. Its certain type energy save in monitor. Dont need monitor off with LCD - only CRT. And screw energy saving.
BTW: You guys have a pw set as "allowed" for sleep wake?
2zh1sea.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks but that isn't a solution. I want the monitor to power off/standby when not in use. Even if it's LCD.

So far, no solution has been found for this problem.

bios issue most likely...had same issue with my dfi 1366 board until updated bios came out...

This happened on my P8P67 (both pre and post-recall versions of the board). After a few months of that (5?), numerous BIOS updates, researching other complaints, and finally experiencing another stability problem on the board I was able to trade it in at NewEgg for a better Gigabyte board that actually works.

That was close to a year ago that I started experiencing your particular problem. If ASUS hasn't fixed it with the BIOS they have out now, it isn't going to get fixed. Just disable the feature. Sorry.

In regards to this we have not been able to duplicate this issue on our end while some users may have this issue the reality is sleep and hibernation are complex software implementations that tie into many aspects of the OS including drivers and services and if there is a inconsistency with either one of these it can throw the whole process into a loop.

There should not be any specific items you need to do to enable this function. The only recommendations i can make are

1. Ensure you have the Intel chipset INF installed and secondary to that ensure you are using WHQL drivers.

Independent of that you should be good to go. You may want to consider looking at your problem report monitor in windows to see if it detects a driver or service that may be causing the issue.

@JJ

I got a better idea.
Email the guy a Fedex ship label and have him send you his whole PC (+KB/Mouse) as is in the box his case came in. Then you will have the prob right on your desk! This has been a very persistent complaint forever with these boards. I dont sleep or hibernate, so it doesnt affect me, but for those its a must, and it is a super annoyance.

On your own VIP site under P8P67 and P8Z68 gen 3 V-Pro forum sections, it appears from the posts that USER embedding of Intel 11.5.0.1011 OPROM seems to fix this prob, along with the also prominent SSD intemittent detect prob. The guy who figured it all out "getyasome" also has posts about this on this forum. Maybe you ought to hire him. Or are you fearful of implementing a solution that Intel says is not yet ready for prime time?

Last edited:
@JJ

I got a better idea.
Email the guy a Fedex ship label and have him send you his whole PC (+KB/Mouse) as is in the box his case came in. Then you will have the prob right on your desk! This has been a very persistent complaint forever with these boards. I dont sleep or hibernate, so it doesnt affect me, but for those its a must, and it is a super annoyance.

On your own VIP site under P8Z68 gen 3 V-Pro, it appears from the posts that USER embedding of Intel 11.5.0.1011 OPROM seems to fix this prob, along with the also prominent SSD intemittent detect prob. The guy who figured it all out "getyasome" also has posts about this on this forum. Maybe you ought to hire him. Or are you fearful of implementing a solution that Intel says is not yet ready for prime time?

I've read many posts on there and in particular posts by 'getyasome'. I believe he posts on [H] as well. It looks like the solutions he crafted do fix many of the issues plaguing these boards.

To JJ... I personally am using the latest drivers, WHQL and all, whether they be from the ASUS site or one of the many newer versions/betas, and I have continued to suffer from the same issues myself. I've performed a number of clean installs with different driver sets as well. Contacting ASUS support lines only gets me the usual, "remove the battery, wait 30seconds, put it back in and call us back if you still have problems". I appreciate your response in this thread though.

I currently own a P8P67 pro mobo and was experiencing that exact issue with my nVidia GTX260 card. I made the following changes to my BIOS and I have not experienced the issue since:

Disable C3 and C6 reporting
Enable "Hotswap" on all HDDs/SSDs
Disable serial port

That was all it took for me.

Currently running the 1704 BIOS

I currently own a P8P67 pro mobo and was experiencing that exact issue with my nVidia GTX260 card. I made the following changes to my BIOS and I have not experienced the issue since:

Disable serial port

Thanks for the info. I am going to try this out and see if it helps any. Again, I have tried all the buttons, switches, on's and off's listed on the net. Nothing seems to work. I am running the latest 2001 bios I think as well.

I used to be a huge Asus supporter. Just like I used to be a huge Antec supporter. Not after this. I watched the video reviewing these boards and really liked the features. However as of now and all the negative problems surrounding it and Asus lack of support in FIXING it, I will be looking elsewhere for my new MOBO. Asus has lost it's way. I hope you find it again one day.

So, if anyone else that has this problem, speak up. Post what has/has not worked for you. I am surprised they are unable to duplicate this issue. Seems anyone with this board suffers from this problem. I am not even putting my machine to sleep. Just the monitor!

In regards to this we have not been able to duplicate this issue on our end while some users may have this issue the reality is sleep and hibernation are complex software implementations that tie into many aspects of the OS including drivers and services and if there is a inconsistency with either one of these it can throw the whole process into a loop.

It shouldn't be that difficult to replicate. Just install any version of W7, download/install all the drivers from your website for the motherboard, and watch the problem crop up. It you really want to make things interesting go install an ASUS GPU and use the drivers that you ship with your card or put on your website.

With so many people experiencing the issue and ASUS' being unable to replicate the problem for years I have my thoughts on why ASUS can't get it together.

I've had my own experiences with ASUS and having to deal with their non-responsive technical support teams. You want a board that works you need to buy something other than ASUS.

OP-could you list your system specs please?

Thx

Corsair Obsidian 650D case
Corsair 850w PSU
Corsair 16 Gig 1600 Memory
Asus P8P67 Deluxe
Intel Core i7 2700k
ATI Radeon 5870 HD 1 Gig - Dual (Crossfire)
Crucial 256 SSD HD (main drive - holds OS and Gaming stuff)
WD Black 2 TB Sata 6 HD - Data drive
BDRE Disc drive
Dell 3008 WFP LCD Monitor - Connected via Dual Link DVI

Nothing is over clocked. All is stock.

Disable serial port

So far after Disabling C3 and C6 reporting, I have not had any issues with the sleep/video issue. It's been a couple of weeks. Serial port was already disabled and hotswap was also already enabled for my drives. So far, so good.

Hi,

I have a P8p67 3.1 REV version of the MoBo and the exact same problem. I disabled the serial port and c3 and c6, but couldnt find the Hotswap setting. The problems still occur. where did you guys find the hotswsap setting?

Thanks

Hi,

I have a P8p67 3.1 REV version of the MoBo and the exact same problem. I disabled the serial port and c3 and c6, but couldnt find the Hotswap setting. The problems still occur. where did you guys find the hotswsap setting?

Thanks

It's under the SATA/Hard Drive area.

I am using the most current bios. Without those changes mentioned in here, it still had the problem.

Could you tell me where the hotswap setting is? I changed the other 2 (with no effect) but couldn't( find that one

First of all, thanks for all the help AbSoluTc, this is my first build form scratch and everything works fine except for this.

For anyone who thinks they have the same problem I'll put down all the symptoms I have, seems to be pretty widespread problem but a lot of forums have only ambiguous descriptions... I'm running a P8P67 ASUS MoBo and AMD Radeaon 6670 graphics card.

- When recovering from sleep mode in Win7 the screen appears for a second or 3, then goes completely black. If I turn the monitor off, then back on again, the same thing happens, a couple of secs everything is fine, then it turns back to black.

- From a cold boot it sometimes takes three or four boots before even getting in the EFI settings, same issue, screen goes blank (but not a sleep).

- When the problem occurs I can still VNC in to my PC. I've found that This way I can put it to sleep, wake it back up again hopefully without the issue. This has worked several times, but takes a few tries.

- A single time the same thing happened when pressing WIN+D to go to the desktop from a game (half life 2). This however may be unrelated to the root of the problem.

I changed the settings though I'm still a little confused about the hotswap setting, I can enable it for SATA ports that aren't connected to anything ("undefined") but for the one I'm using there doesn't seem to be such a setting. Maybe my HD isn't hotswap compatible?
Any other ideas?

I contacted my supplier (hardwareversand.de) and they immediately offered to take it back, but I'm a bit hessitant. I don't wont to be without a working PC unless absolutely necessary so any suggestions are more than welcome.

Sandr

First of all, thanks for all the help AbSoluTc, this is my first build form scratch and everything works fine except for this.

For anyone who thinks they have the same problem I'll put down all the symptoms I have, seems to be pretty widespread problem but a lot of forums have only ambiguous descriptions... I'm running a P8P67 ASUS MoBo and AMD Radeaon 6670 graphics card.

- When recovering from sleep mode in Win7 the screen appears for a second or 3, then goes completely black. If I turn the monitor off, then back on again, the same thing happens, a couple of secs everything is fine, then it turns back to black.

- From a cold boot it sometimes takes three or four boots before even getting in the EFI settings, same issue, screen goes blank (but not a sleep).

- When the problem occurs I can still VNC in to my PC. I've found that This way I can put it to sleep, wake it back up again hopefully without the issue. This has worked several times, but takes a few tries.

- A single time the same thing happened when pressing WIN+D to go to the desktop from a game (half life 2). This however may be unrelated to the root of the problem.

I changed the settings though I'm still a little confused about the hotswap setting, I can enable it for SATA ports that aren't connected to anything ("undefined") but for the one I'm using there doesn't seem to be such a setting. Maybe my HD isn't hotswap compatible?
Any other ideas?

I contacted my supplier (hardwareversand.de) and they immediately offered to take it back, but I'm a bit hessitant. I don't wont to be without a working PC unless absolutely necessary so any suggestions are more than welcome.

Sandr

I wouldn't send it back. The same thing is going to happen again. Your drive should be hot swappable. Unless it's really not which would be odd since most all SATA drives support this. Is your main drive set to raid or AHCI? I can't remember the setting but you do not want raid.

Please note, that the suggestions here are not guaranteed to work for you. It took several tries to find something that works for me.

How do you mean the sae thing is going to happen again? If I send it back Ill swap it for another mobo compatible with my cpu and other components...
Main drive is set to AHCI, but with no option to enable hotswap for that drive...

you are not going to get any help here until you post the complete system as it sits now - everything, brands model #'s.

Asus p8p67 rev 3.1 mobo
Intel core i5 2400 cpu
Plextor px-l809sa
Seagate sv35 series hd
Kingston hyperx blu 2x4 gb ram ddr3
Gigabyte radeon hd 6670 PCIE graphics card
Chieftec nitro 400w power supply
Hp w1907v monitor (connected through vga)

Everything without the case :)
Thanks for your time

oops, posted in this thread by mistake

However, since I'm here, there is no "hotswap" its hotplug

Last edited:
It seems the latest Bios update from Asus has broken something as my system is now back to staying on but showing no video after the monitor goes to sleep. Clearly, the system is still running as I can remote in and do things. Only way to fix it, is to reset it. This is really starting to piss me off.

Asus used to be quality, not it seems to be nothing but freaking trouble. Anyone have any updates or news on this crappy issue? I won't even try contacting Asus as I am sure they won't have a damn clue.

I tried it with another screen and the problem wouldnt replicate. When it happens with the original screen, I can plug the other one in and instantly get video, when I then plug the original screen back in it (usually) works fine. This leads me to believe it's an issue with my screen, i've had it for years and its been turned on a lot. Ive seen the same problem with a tv of a friend of mine, sometimes it just goes all black and needs to be reset. I have no clue what the exact issue might be but hopefully somebody gets something out of this.
Has anyone else with the problem tried another monitor?

this goes back to P965
most peeps just put momitor sleep NEVER
With no more CRT's, there is no reason to sleep monitor
And ALL current monitors are "energy efficient"
If you want to save $2 month on power, then just pick up a few extra alum cans

Guess you could try wake on mouse in bios

If you google "monitor does not wake from sleep" you get 115 million hits. Heres the first:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...om-sleep/40c01c55-f5be-4524-9d23-130142158c30

I tried it with another screen and the problem wouldnt replicate. When it happens with the original screen, I can plug the other one in and instantly get video, when I then plug the original screen back in it (usually) works fine. This leads me to believe it's an issue with my screen, i've had it for years and its been turned on a lot. Ive seen the same problem with a tv of a friend of mine, sometimes it just goes all black and needs to be reset. I have no clue what the exact issue might be but hopefully somebody gets something out of this.
Has anyone else with the problem tried another monitor?

I have had a similar problem on a rig that uses a VGA cable/connector in either Windows or Linux. It turns out that getting the monitor info from DDC sometimes fails when trying to wake up. I know this because I looked at the linux kernel logs through SSH. Every time it failed to turned the monitor back on, there was a DDC error.

Turning the monitor off completely and turning it back on gets the video back. Mine is an old CRT monitor that actually turns off everything. YMMV

I am using the 2103 BIOS now with the same hardware and same settings I mentioned earlier and I STILL do not have any issues.

The only other thing you might want to check is if you have a UPS attached to your PC via a USB cable. I remember that I had issues in the past with it connected--once disconnected, my PC was fine.

I am using the 2103 BIOS now with the same hardware and same settings I mentioned earlier and I STILL do not have any issues.

The only other thing you might want to check is if you have a UPS attached to your PC via a USB cable. I remember that I had issues in the past with it connected--once disconnected, my PC was fine.

By UPS do you mean an uninteruptible power supply? I couldnt find anything other relevant to this through a google query. If so, I have no such system in place

I have had a similar problem on a rig that uses a VGA cable/connector in either Windows or Linux. It turns out that getting the monitor info from DDC sometimes fails when trying to wake up. I know this because I looked at the linux kernel logs through SSH. Every time it failed to turned the monitor back on, there was a DDC error.

Turning the monitor off completely and turning it back on gets the video back. Mine is an old CRT monitor that actually turns off everything. YMMV

Any idea how i could check this in win7? I already have ssh in place (via cygwin)
Is this only an issue with VGA? Im new to the DDC thing and i wondered about this after reading the wikipedia entry.

Any idea how i could check this in win7? I already have ssh in place (via cygwin)
Is this only an issue with VGA? Im new to the DDC thing and i wondered about this after reading the wikipedia entry.

I doubt you can get that much level of debugging detail in Windows. I am using Kubuntu with the Nouveau video driver. The Intel video driver also gives a lot of detail. You could try a Live CD/USB stick to see if that's your problem too.

I doubt you can get that much level of debugging detail in Windows. I am using Kubuntu with the Nouveau video driver. The Intel video driver also gives a lot of detail. You could try a Live CD/USB stick to see if that's your problem too.

Well I dont think its a kernel problem, sometimes it happens after loading the initial BIOS before loading windows... But still I wonder if this is only applicable to VGA connected monitors? If so, this wouldn't be an issue with DVI (except maybe DVI-A)?

this goes back to P965
most peeps just put momitor sleep NEVER
With no more CRT's, there is no reason to sleep monitor
And ALL current monitors are "energy efficient"
If you want to save $2 month on power, then just pick up a few extra alum cans

Guess you could try wake on mouse in bios

If you google "monitor does not wake from sleep" you get 115 million hits. Heres the first:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...om-sleep/40c01c55-f5be-4524-9d23-130142158c30

Guy, I COULD KISS YOU! I googled this issue extensively but never saw the thread you posted (maybe because my query didn't use some of those keywords). I changed the setting and after several sleep/wake cycles the problem still hasn't shown it's ugly head. If that changes I'll be sure to post it here.
For anyone else struggling, try disabling "PLL Overvoltage" in BIOS (on my ASUS p8p67 3.1 rev it was under AI Tweaker I think). From a google search I gathered this is only necessary if you want to push overclocking on your CPU to the extreme, but can anyone weigh in what this actually does? There wasn't much consensus on the posts that I read. On one of those sites someone mentioned that issues could arise from waking your PC with this enabled but he didn't go into detail.

To everyone here, thanks for all the help and advice, this is by far the best forum that I have encountered regarding tech-issues and I'll be sure to become a regular and help people out as you guys did with me.

looks like I celebrated to soon, it just happened again, though far les often as initially

Back