ASUS P8H77-I vs ASROCK Z77e-itx- Which one?

The price difference where I am from is around $80. I do not plan to OC and will be using an i5 3450 with intel stock cooler. The selling point of the Asrock Z77 for me is the onboard wifi and the ability to OC if I decide to use a K processor later on. If i go with the Asus h77,i will need to spend $20 more to buy a wireless adapter which brings the price difference to around $60. What are other benefits of the Asrock Z77 over the Asus H77?

Asrock H77 itx board is not available in my country and the Asus Z77 itx board is coming in soon as well. I dont know which boards to choose:confused:

I think you can OC with a H77 board, but you don't have the possibility of modifying any voltage, so you'll only get a moderate OC. The good news is it should be risk free, as you can't damage the CPU with the default voltage and the temperatures don't increase.*

As for Z77 vs H77, there's no difference other than the lack for some important OC features. See here: http://www.techspot.com/guides/519-intel-z77-panther-point-chipset/page2.html

*i do not own (yet) a IB system, so all i know is from reading. If someone can correct me, please do!

do you still get native:
PCIe 3
USB 3
SATA 3
with the H77 chipset?

they tend to be lower-end SKU's at lower prices, so i imagine it would be true.

yes the fancy asus will be statistically more reliable, but then it should be as it will cost 50% more.

you pays your money...........

All decisions are a mixture of heart and brain and I'm afraid the heart was well ahead on first pictures of the P8Z77-I. Even though Asus H77 is half the Z77 price that's not enough reason for me - after all this is not boring-pc-forum this is for people taking the trouble to build SFF within an enthusiast forum.

Availability of the Asrock has been better than the Asus over here but it finally appeared in Europe a week ago so I finally have my 77-I. This will be partenered with a 3570K which with HD4000 graphics is I think the best choice. It's good to have the flexibility to overclock if needed so a Z77 was inevitable.

Strangely there have been no reviews of the Asrock apart from threads here but a fair few of the Asus. Anyway, apart from phyiscal layout and BIOS what's to say - Intel seem to own most of the functionality which is either in the chipset or these days moving into the CPU.

Asrock Z77e-ITX. More features and better quality...especially considering this is their flagship ITX board.

I own one and its rock solid all the way around. Asus is just a name, Asrock makes boards that are just as good if not better considering the price and feature set of most their boards.

The motherboard industry has become one that either you make good parts or you're done...Asrock picked up on this almost immediately and for years now has been making enthusiast-class boards.

Asus is just a name, Asrock makes boards that are just as good if not better considering the price and feature set of most their boards.

Err....You know that Asus is the Parent Company of Asrock right? That pretty much means Asus is the better of the two.

Err....You know that Asus is the Parent Company of Asrock right? That pretty much means Asus is the better of the two.

I thought ASRock was now completely independent of Asus? But yeah Asus makes the better mobos. ASRock is like the cheaper version of Asus. They have been trying hard to up their game last year or two with better quality.

Wrong.

Two different companies now.

I biughtthe asrock. Have had no issues with any asrock board, and this one OCs like a champ. Fastest boot time of any blard i have used as well.

The three Asus boards i have had have been ok, with the Gene Z beimg the best, but obviously not ITX. Wish they would make a ROG itx board....

This was true a decade ago but they are two separate companies now and have been since 2002.

That's one silly flat-out statement. What's that got to do with anything? ASrock has been making quality boards for a while now. Sure you might prefer Asus boards and that's your right, but for most people the decision will be down to features/layout/price etc...

Anyhow:
Like I said in another thread, for the record the P8H77-I can't OC at all (as of today, BIOS 0406). Thing is, there is CPU voltage adjustment available, but the multiplier on my 3570K can't go above 34. In the CPU summary (in the UEFI bios), it says that the multiplier range is 16-34. So one can adjust it down (but manual multiplier means losing Speedstep among other things IIRC). But not up.
I wonder if it's a mistake on Asus part, or a deliberate decision to differentiate their boards (and justify the Z77-I Deluxe price tag). I'll try and email them to see what they say...

Probably not a mistake but more intentional. That is my guess anyway.

That's one silly flat-out statement. What's that got to do with anything? ASrock has been making quality boards for a while now. Sure you might prefer Asus boards and that's your right, but for most people the decision will be down to features/layout/price etc...

Anyhow:
Like I said in another thread, for the record the P8H77-I can't OC at all (as of today, BIOS 0406). Thing is, there is CPU voltage adjustment available, but the multiplier on my 3570K can't go above 34. In the CPU summary (in the UEFI bios), it says that the multiplier range is 16-34. So one can adjust it down (but manual multiplier means losing Speedstep among other things IIRC). But not up.
I wonder if it's a mistake on Asus part, or a deliberate decision to differentiate their boards (and justify the Z77-I Deluxe price tag). I'll try and email them to see what they say...

16 is the lowered speed that the processor runs when at a lower load, and 34 is when it is under load. These are stock multipliers. When overclocked, the multiplier is unlocked, hence the K, and can go well beyond 34.

This was true a decade ago but they are two separate companies now and have been since 2002.

I didn't know that. Thanks for setting me straight there. ;)

NichoTL: That was rude. Try being more polite in the future as I was told otherwise a long time ago.

16 is the lowered speed that the processor runs when at a lower load, and 34 is when it is under load. These are stock multipliers. When overclocked, the multiplier is unlocked, hence the K, and can go well beyond 34.

Yes I know, but my proc is a K and the P8H77-I won't let me go above 34.

I didn't know that. Thanks for setting me straight there. ;)

NichoTL: That was rude. Try being more polite in the future as I was told otherwise a long time ago.

Calling your statement silly is rude? I almost did write something rude and then I thought, nah, silly ought to do it. You can't expect blurting out stuff like that without being called on it.

I'm sorry I hurt your feelings...

the asus looks great , but for me , asrock has a better layout of the sata connector... i'm looking to buy this one because i not use air cooling but liquid , and there's no space problems....

and the asus is too much expensive compared to the asrock...

I'm sorry I hurt your feelings...

I'll forgive you. This time. :D

THe only thing that I think that is incredibly stupid is the mSATA placement on the Asrock. UNDER the motherboard? Who was the moron who thought that idea up? LOL!!!

Makes it a little cleaner I guess but it is a VERY bad idea.

Um... why is it a bad idea... works just fine. With an mSata card, it doesnt hit the bottom of the case, so no problems at all. I think its a great idea. Out of the way.

Um... why is it a bad idea... works just fine. With an mSata card, it doesnt hit the bottom of the case, so no problems at all. I think its a great idea. Out of the way.

1.). MSATA units run very hot....at least every one have seen do. There is no airflow to cool them down and thus MIGHT damage the circuitry.

2.). It is a total lack of convience. To swap out a dead unit or upgrade you must take out the entire motherboard.

To me it was a completely moronic idea for the Asrock. Asus had the better design here IMHO.

Just my experienced opinion.

1.). MSATA units run very hot....at least every one have seen do. There is no airflow to cool them down and thus MIGHT damage the circuitry.

2.). It is a total lack of convience. To swap out a dead unit or upgrade you must take out the entire motherboard.

To me it was a completely moronic idea for the Asrock. Asus had the better design here IMHO.

Just my experienced opinion.

Their design was so good in fact they didn't put it on their Z77 board.

I was referring the the Z77deluxe Asus mitx board for that reference.

I've read the last few posts and have owned both boards, but the above post leaves me confused. So something Asus didn't even include on their board is/was a bad idea for Asrock? We're talking about an Msata slot for an SSD, which is something that generally doesn't get hot and is also generally unaffected by things like temperatures. Seeing as I'd add a second sata III 2.5 SSD instead, I do feel it's somewhat of a pointless feature, but I can see it being useful for some people. Lastly, I see no harm in the connector being where it is whether used or unused. Honestly, where else could they have put it? lol

I have no issues reaching a rear-mounted mSATA SSD while the motherboard is installed. You can too, it just takes 5 minutes with a dremel and the motherboard backplate :) (also, might as well do the cpu hsf retention screw area at the same time in the event that you have to mod a retention system to avoid a backplate as more motherboards are starting to encroach on the cpu socket exclusion zone).

I just wish motherboard manufs. would start making the mSATA slots on their motherboards 6G instead of pokey 3G ;)

Back