ASUS P7H57D-V EVO Motherboard Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
ASUS P7H57D-V EVO Motherboard Review - ASUS has yet another motherboard in its long list of LGA1156 based boards. This one is based on Intel's latest chipset, the H57 Express. The target market for this board is a little different than what we typically look at here at [H]ardOCP. After evaluating this board I can truly call it a jack of all trades and a master of none.

As I see it the P7H57D-V EVO is an outstanding motherboard. With that said I can't help but think that the H57 Express chipset is an odd choice for this board. Onboard graphics appeals to a specific type of user. It appeals to anyone building an office computer or even HTPC or other small form factor machines. In either case a full sized ATX board is rarely necessary or even desirable. To further convolute the issue, ASUS' website states that the board is not Crossfire or SLI compatible when either Core i3 5xx or Core i5 6xx sequence processors are installed. Anyone going for a multiGPU system should flat out ignore this board as the P7H57D-V EVO isn't going to be what you are looking for.

Great review, D/K. I think it might be placed on my short-list come my upgrade in a few months, and reminds me very much of my P5B Deluxe. I'm not, personally, looking for the most extreme overclocker, but I do a lot of things with my system, so having options is nice.

And all those ports are great.

And I don't think the [H] reviewers have mentioned it, but I have to give a lot of respect to Asus for making some really great looking boards in terms of color scheme, layout and aesthetic design.

I agree with Dan...

This is the best board no one needs. If I am building a computer for my parents, (65-70 years old) I want a micro-ATX. Same for an office. I would guess the only users for this will be OEM buyers looking to build their first without having to go buy a good video card. Very small market IMHO.

Yeah that about sums up my feelings on it. The P7H57D-V EVO is a great product, I'm just not sure who it was meant for. :confused:

Nice review. But does the basic stuff WORK? Can it sleep and wake reliably from S3? I don't care about perf and OC and what-not if the basics are broken.

I got a P6TD-V2 that eventually hangs on waking. A highly rated and positively reviewed board that falls over on the most basic things: waking the hell up at 2am for its daily backup.

Grrrr. Yes, I'm peeved at ASUS and using this review to post a rant. Sorry.

For subjective listening you want to listen to something that covers a range of sound types. For this portion of the review I went with Disturbed, Indestructible.
Oh there has to be something better out there :LOL: I guess personally something like this is better to use in a high bitrate format since the clearer guitar can most likely let you hear crackles and stuff. In fact, Painkiller by Judas Priest is pretty good too considering portions of the solo are absolutely ear-piercing and if you have screwy audio it'll sound all jacked up.

None of this probably means anything because I'm sure it doesn't make a difference lol

Case sure seems like a bitch to use though. I'm interested to see how all the wires go together..

Did I miss something? What was the reason for using a 2 core cpu instead of a 4 core i5?

Last edited:
Oh there has to be something better out there :LOL: I guess personally something like this is better to use in a high bitrate format since the clearer guitar can most likely let you hear crackles and stuff. In fact, Painkiller by Judas Priest is pretty good too considering portions of the solo are absolutely ear-piercing and if you have screwy audio it'll sound all jacked up.

None of this probably means anything because I'm sure it doesn't make a difference lol

Case sure seems like a bitch to use though. I'm interested to see how all the wires go together..

Did I miss something? What was the reason for using a 2 core cpu instead of a 4 core i5?

Kyle used a 6xx series Core i5 while I used a Core i5 750. The latter is a quad core.

I'm blown away that Asus actually placed all of the SATA ports like everyone else one this board now... My P7P55D Pro had them all over the lower right corner... The layout is well organized.

ive been very pleased with this board easy to overclock and solid stability. see sig

Thanks for this review.
I am the person that you should recommend this board to.
I am a live performer who uses DIY builds and stable older designs.
I have meger 2D needs and was hoping to read the resources used when using the GPU and how much RAM from the system was used.
For example the 128MB Sideport RAM on the Asus 785G can be isolated, used with onboard RAM, or shared with a card I believe. From what I have read there isn't a big hit on the CPU when using onboard GPU for 2D needs. I am still somewhat unsure of how this applies w/ the H57.
I want to take my 4U ATX DIY"s ( 3 ) and build 2 x 1U ATX designs using H57's.
This should be a cinch because I have no graphics card consideration, and my audio is on the PCI-e 1X using a connector card that goes to a 1U DSP rack.
However, I am starting to use the VST technology which requires a fast memory sub system and CPU.
So I will actually be OC'ing this board for live performance.
I think I can easily overcome any hit on the CPU that the GPU requires by OC'ing.
Which CPU would be the ideal choice..? I want whichever CPU would be the most stable at 3,8GHz and the coolest, lowest power in terms of watts.

Thanks Again

JAV

One question though, Which CPU should I get to hit the 3.8GHz mark

If you only have 2d requirements the Intel HD IGP will handle everything easily.
Subsequently there would be insignificant CPU usage for graphics....

It's not clear to me (based on everything else you've said) why you feel you need a high mem/cpu subsystem.
I am not familiar with VST....

@Kyle or Dan,

I noticed your PCB revision was 1.03GX...
I've searched but can't find other reviews or forum chatter with this revision.
Is it newer than 1.03G? -which seems to be far more common.

I'm not sure. As far as I know there are no differences. I just went by what the sticker on the board said. The revision is clearly labeled "1.03GX" then the serial number is shown after that. For all I know they are in fact the same exact thing. The sticker may have a typo in it or I'm interpreting it wrong.

Oh I see, you're going by the sticker, what about the actual rev. no. on the board?
It's printed on the PCB, just above (from mem) the 1st PCIe slot...

Thank-you very much, night.

Last edited:
Oh I see, you're going by the sticker, what about the actual rev. no on the board?
It's printed on the PCB, just above (from mem) the 1st PCIe slot...

1.03G was printed on the PCB itself. (Looking at the expansion slot photo in the article.) I think I looked at the sticker because the photo came out much better than it did for the actual PCB revision number photo did. So I referenced that when I wrote the article.

Ah I see, I don't think I even have a sticker on my board.

If it also has "1.03GX" like yours, I wonder what that means?
If I don't have a sticker or the sticker has "1.03G", then I guess it's a typo?

430am yikes, perhaps I'll check in the morning, thanks again!

Who knows? I can't say why the sticker would say 1.03GX while the printed PCB says 1.03G. Now its not unusual to see a sticker over the silk screen as a correction due to last minute revisions in the design, but I've never seen it done like this. Again it could be a label issue. I wouldn't put too much stock into it.

The fact that yours has a sticker with an 'X' on the end must mean it's a slightly different revision.
They've obviously forgotten to place one over the silk-screen...

I wonder what improvements/fixes have been made, has to be more than just BIOS surely?
Whatever it is, no doubt it will be minor, but I'd still love to know!

Back