ASUS P6X58D-E

I am a few days away from ordering this board. Should go good with my I7-930 I picked up from MC.

Mine arrives tomorrow :) Picked it up for $220 shipped from ewiz (SHOWERS15 promo code for $15 off).

As noted, the board uses an updated raid controller, has only 1 ethernet port, is missing a few of the extra heatpipes, doesn't come with the optional fan and is missing the onboard reset button, but it otherwise identical, except of course for the price :)

Mine arrives tomorrow :) Picked it up for $220 shipped from ewiz (SHOWERS15 promo code for $15 off).

As noted, the board uses an updated raid controller, has only 1 ethernet port, is missing a few of the extra heatpipes, doesn't come with the optional fan and is missing the onboard reset button, but it otherwise identical, except of course for the price :)

Keep me updated on how it works. I was thinking about buying this board for an upcoming build I plan to do. Thank you!! :)

I just got this board today, and got a really really dumb question.

I thought I could reuse my old IDE dvd drive, but there is no IDE connector on mobo, do I need to get a SATA dvd drive and plug it into one of the SATA slot?

It has been 5 years since I build my last computer, lol.

I just got this board today, and got a really really dumb question.

I thought I could reuse my old IDE dvd drive, but there is no IDE connector on mobo, do I need to get a SATA dvd drive and plug it into one of the SATA slot?

It has been 5 years since I build my last computer, lol.

Yep you're going to need SATA drives. Great board though one of my SATA 3GB ports died about a week after I got it. Didn't feel like shipping it back for that but might when I get my Rampage III.

Thanks Heatlesssun, that's what I thought. Guess I will have to wait another 2 days before I can play with this!

I just ordered mine and had to get a SATA DVD writer as well. Hope no issues with my board! i7 930 with megahalems.

I just bought a i7 930 from MC and am considering this board for a new build. Please keep us updated as to performance.

I can't compared to other mobos, I haven't upgraded in 5 years. I just finished putting everything together last night, everything worked very smoothly the first time through. Windows 7 installed without a hitch. I have not messed with any of the OC/settings yet. I considered the premium board but I didn't really need the extra features and saved $60.

Hmm, to regret my premium or to not. I guess I'll just be happy with my premium. The 2 rj45 ports has come in handy a lot; Nothing like browsing the internet while you're copying files to/from your laptop at 11.2MB/s. (I have a feeling that speed would increase if I had a SSD.)

Just completed today and installed win7..will be taking it for proper spin this week. Some OC not too long hopefully. Further tweaks/tidying up incl cable management later next couple of weeks.

im trying to choose between this and premium, i dont know if ill ever use the extra lan.

Some impressions so far...and pls note this is my second build in recent years (10 years +). Last one was xmas with a Asus P55 mobo - the excellent P7P55D-E.

• I miss the not having IDE on this one...i have old DVD-RWs which i could have re-used, and using SATA instead means the I'm using up all the SATA ports already with my 4 HDDs. Cable mgmt messier. For some reason, this mobo has a lot less SATA ports than other recent boards that have OTT number of ports. No major issues/v managable though.
  • Otherwise, usual excellent ASUS build quality. Layout on the P55 seems 'cleaner' than the X58. I miss having the CPU ok light on my last MOBO. Although this one has a Power On button which is nice. Fan headers galore...! Lots!
  • For all I've read, and reviews I trust (incl latest Custom PC mag)...it seems the choice atm is between the Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R vs thsi one. That one OC's better, has more legacy support incl IDE and in UK about £20 cheaper. But I'm more familiar with Asus and it's newer so I decided to go with Asus instead. Also this seems more 'premium' build' but as mentioned, the Gigabyte seems to OC better.
    The limited review seems to indicate this MOBO OC's as well as the 'Premium' or 'close enough'P6X58D-E

So far, using Megahalems + Akasa Apache Fan, my stock temps is about 36-38'C idel and 56-58'C load. This is with Turbo and HT on. Default everything atm. I will post some pix and OC results as soon as I have some.

Last edited:
Oh..and if this helps...here's what I found (online) between the two MOBO's

P6X58D "E" vs "Premium"
- USB 3 & SATA6
- Premium's chipset cooling solution is slightly different / better
- P6X58D-E has Marvell® 9128 while P6X58D Premium has Marvell® 9123 Controller. It means the E version has a better controller and supports RAID better. E version also supports RAID in SATA 6gb not Premium
- P6X58D-E also has better VIA® VT6308P controller while the Premium has VIA® VT6308 (IEEE 1394)
- P6X58D-E only has 1 Gigabit LAN controller Marvell 88E8056® while Premium has 2.
- P6X58D-E doesnt have the RESET button on the motherboard while the Premium has, but both have the POWER and MEMOK buttons.

P6X58D vs Gigabyte GA-X58a-UD3R
- Asus no eSata connector on the backplane, Gigabyte does
- Gigabyte supports dual and triple channel memory, Asus appears to support triple channel only.
- Asus does away with floppy and IDE legacy connectors, Gigabyte still gives you these headers.
- Gigabyte has a dual BIOS arrangement, Asus does not.

Last edited:
This mobo is on sale at newegg this week for $190 (a $20 code is needed). I bought this for $240 just last week (and now it is permanently at $210).

Newegg is nice enough to credit me back $50! :)

I paid £175 - which is more than your $240 and Scan.co.uk won't be crediting me anything ; (

This mobo is on sale at newegg this week for $190 (a $20 code is needed). I bought this for $240 just last week (and now it is permanently at $210).

Newegg is nice enough to credit me back $50! :)

What would this code be?

I just bought it yesterday for 210, it should be here friday.

Last edited:
Oh..and if this helps...here's what I found (online) between the two MOBO's

P6X58D "E" vs "Premium"
- USB 3 & SATA6
- Premium's chipset cooling solution is slightly different / better
- P6X58D-E has Marvell® 9128 while P6X58D Premium has Marvell® 9123 Controller. It means the E version has a better controller and supports RAID better. E version also supports RAID in SATA 6gb not Premium
- P6X58D-E also has better VIA® VT6308P controller while the Premium has VIA® VT6308 (IEEE 1394)
- P6X58D-E only has 1 Gigabit LAN controller Marvell 88E8056® while Premium has 2.
- P6X58D-E doesnt have the RESET button on the motherboard while the Premium has, but both have the POWER and MEMOK buttons.

P6X58D vs Gigabyte GA-X58a-UD3R
- Asus no eSata connector on the backplane, Gigabyte does
- Gigabyte supports dual and triple channel memory, Asus appears to support triple channel only.
- Asus does away with floppy and IDE legacy connectors, Gigabyte still gives you these headers.
- Gigabyte has a dual BIOS arrangement, Asus does not.

Based on the above comparison/differences of these two boards why would one go with the ASUS instead of the Gigabyte board ?

Thanks....I guess since I bought a combo with the board & ram they wont honor the 20$ code.

Last edited:
[*]For all I've read, and reviews I trust (incl latest Custom PC mag)...it seems the choice atm is between the Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R vs thsi one. That one OC's better, has more legacy support incl IDE and in UK about £20 cheaper. But I'm more familiar with Asus and it's newer so I decided to go with Asus instead. Also this seems more 'premium' build' but as mentioned, the Gigabyte seems to OC better.

XER1 - Already explained before. Mainly down to I know ASUS better, was v v impressed by their layout in the P55 board (but now having this X58 board, it's not as clean, as well designed as the P55 unfortunately - but I think that's because they had to pack a lot more into X58 than the P55). And finally (and probably most importantly), I'm not chasing the last bit of OC and the Asus board seemed a tad more 'premium' than the Gigabyte one. But I think this is purely 'impression' - I suspect in reality, they're on par.

I've not had a lot of time to OC yet but hitting 3.8Ghz no probs - so far reasonably stable. Will aim for 4 next. My temps are 63-67'C on IBT. I want to stay below 80'C and fingers crossed I should hit that with 4Ghz.

Last edited:
Ordered one from newegg today, paid a bit extra to get it tomorrow. :)

i7930
P6X58D-E
Corsair H50 cooler
G. Skill 3x2 F3-12800CL8TU-6GBPI

Hopefully it will be up and running by tomorrow night!

hopefully it wi

Some pix of my buid...I need to recable but otherwise it's done.

i7%20930%20Build%20-%2002.jpg

i7%20930%20Build%20-%2006.jpg

i7%20930%20Build%20-%2007.jpg

i7%20930%20Build%20-%2014.jpg

i7%20930%20Build%20-%2010.jpg

i7%20930%20Build%20-%2015.jpg

i7%20930%20Build%20-%2013.jpg

So far, I can get 3.8Ghz pretty easily stable and temps are nice and cool 60ish 'C. To get it to 4Ghz however, I've had to raise vCore and Qpi rather high, both much closer to 1.3v and still not stable. Temps have jumped to early to mid 70's. It's ok but I would prefer 70 or below. Still working on it.

Last edited:
Quick update. Hit 4Ghz @ 1.26 in bios whilst loaded CPU-z reads 1.24v. Temps are ~75'C w ambient of ~20'C whilst running IBT. Prime95 is a few degrees lower at early ~70'C. Turning off HT drops temps by 8-10'C.

Congrats, looks like a clean & fast build!

I'm trying to decide between the 860 [1156] & 930 [1366] type ..

I always build with 1 mid/high range video card, [no sli or CF] & am only considering the 1366 boards, because i'm concerned about losing bandwidth of the single PCI 2.0 16X when hooking up a SATA 6GB/s drive on the 1156 board.!

Hi,

Quick question. I may have ordered the wrong RAM for this MB/CPU combo. I'm building another system and ordered a i7-950 CPU, P6X58D-E and Patriot PV7362000ELK (3x2GB) 9-11-9-27 1.65v RAM.

Am I going to have problems using this RAM? It's not on the ASUS official RAM list but using Patriot's memory configurator, they say it's compatible. I know the MB should handle it but I'm not sure of the CPU. I never thought about looking at the memory specs before. I see that it is 800/1066 on intel's web site. I'm probably not going to do any OCing, but if I do it will only be slight and under 4Ghz.

Thanks.

Mike

My new build:

ASUS P6X58D-E
i7 950
Patriot 6GB RAM
Corsair H50-1 cooling
ASUS HD6870
Seagate 1TB HDD
Lightscribe DVD Burner
Coolermaster HAF 922
Corsair CMPSU 750HX PSU