Gawd
I just finished putting together this rig:
ASUS P6T MOBO
i7 920
6GB OCZ GOLD DDR3
Corsair 850TX
1TB WD Black
XFX 4890 1GB
IDE DVD Drive (whoops, ordered the wrong one. meant to get sata)
Vista 64 Ultimate

I've installed the drivers that came with the mobo, just did the video card drivers.

The PC won't boot into windows if i set the DRAM settings to "AUTO" in the bios. I have to change the MHZ to 1600 and the BCLK to 3200 otherwise it'll bluescreen and restart.

Is there a ram aperature setting that im not seeing?

After some quick searching around google it seems that I am not the only one with this problem.

I am about to try pulling sticks and inserting them one by one to test faulty dimms or bad sticks.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Last edited:
sounds like the preset for the rams incorrect.. the ram its self is probably perfectly fine but the timing that OCZ set on the ram is incorrect.. like hardwareguru said.. check the default timing in cpu-z and see what it says..

Unfortunately in my haste to get this post up before i went to work, I forgot to mention something important.

Both the BIOS and Windows are only recognizing 2GB of ram outta the 6GB in there. I haven't had a chance to check cpu-z yet, i was in such a hurry to just get the thing to run all the windows updates and get the thing shut down so my buddy could take it home and start playing with it.

I'll be heading over to his place within the next 48 hours to try to finish cable management, resolve the unrecognizable ram problem, and then start on the OC'ing. Gonna try to push the thing to 3.8 on air stable for 8 hrs with memtest.

First check will be cpu-z per hardwareguru and sirmonkey for the timings. Next will be a quick channel swap from a2/b2/c2 to a1/b1/c1. If that doesnt work... time to start playing with dimms and individual sticks.

ok... so making some minor progress here. i got home, called up my buddy, went to his place. he didn't even have the new rig plugged in, so i just quickly did a channel swap of the ram. orange --> black /// a2/b2/c2 to a1/b1/c1. this caused the pc not to provide a signal to the monitor. we tried dvi to dvi, dvi to vga, and vga with a dvi adapter to vga. nothing worked.

i took the rig home, played with the ram and the dimms for a bit. eventually got the thing to boot by returning the 3 sticks to the orange slots a2/b2/c2. it would not boot with anything less than 3 sticks in the orange slots.

i went into the bios and reset it to default. everything is on auto now. boots into windows fine. bios now recognizes 4GB instead of 2GB.

CPU-Z, Vista Welcome Center, and DXDIAG see this:

wtfbertotex.jpg

why does cpu-z see 6GB, and the other two see 4?
too tired right now, need sleep. going to leave this thing on. any suggestions as to where i go from here?

Last edited:
so... if cpu-z see's 6GB, does it really matter if dxdiag/bios post screen sees 6GB? right now the bios, windows welcome center, and dxdiag only recognize 4GB outta 6GB.

ive updated chipset drivers, pulled sticks, cant seem to narrow it down. last thing to do is update the bios.

if that doesnt work, then its rma time i suppose.

**EDIT**
updated bios. no change.
tried pulling sticks again. found two sticks that will boot pc into bios post screen individually. 3rd stick will not boot into anything. monitor wont even turn on.
bad stick.

rma.

**double edit**
after tinkering a bit more with the sticks and dimms... now i only have 1 consistent stick that boots into windows every time without any artifacts.
:(

Last edited:
OK, super sad sorta happy face. :(:mad::)

Went one step further. Got my 3870x2 and plugged it into this i7 rig, booted up fine with 2 outta 3 sticks of ram recognized. All of the sticks work in varying arrangements within the two orange dimms.

If I put the 3rd stick in the 3rd orange dimm, the system only recognizes 4GB. If i put the 3rd stick in the black slot between the two orange slots, it recognizes 6GB, but in dual channel. Just to clarify, the ENTIRE system including the bios, dxdiag, windows welcome center, cpu-z all see 6GB now.

If i put the 4890 in, it will boot very randomly into windows, sometimes it wont even post. Sometimes it recognizes 2GB, sometimes 4GB. Sometimes theres artifact, sometimes not. So im assuming this means the dimms AND the video card are fucked up right?

So... I have decided to RMA the motherboard and video card, and hold onto the ram since that seems fine.

Apparently this is a relatively common problem with the ASUS P6T board? Has anyone else had any similar experience with this and found a fix other than RMA?

Back