ASUS P67 sleep issues with no overclocking and Internal PPL Overvoltage disabled

I have also the same issue. I have updated to BIOS 1503 (Asus P8P67 Deluxe Rev. B3). I am planning to re-install OS (Windows 7 SP1 64-bit) to see if the issue exists also with a "clean" OS install without any Asus drivers. Unfortunately, I don't have time to do re-install now.

I made a little bit research, and it turns out that Windows 7 Service Pack 1 contains a bug related to sleep functionality when SCSIport minidriver is used. Apparently Marvell 91xx SATA 6G Controller uses this driver. I switched my hard disk from Marvell Controller port to Intel SATA 6G Controller port, and now I am able to put my computer into sleep without problems! :)

Hi IIkkaP,

Will your comp resume from sleep after an extended sleep session. I have my OS HDD connected to the JMBmicron controlled sata 6G ports in all of this and have never had the marvell in use. I can put my comp to sleep and after letting it sleep all night it will not resume. It is now trying to resume itself 3 times and comes up with the blank screen on the third try and no inputting via keyboard or mouse will have an effect. I then have to hard reboot.

Mark K.

Hi IIkkaP,

Will your comp resume from sleep after an extended sleep session. I have my OS HDD connected to the JMBmicron controlled sata 6G ports in all of this and have never had the marvell in use. I can put my comp to sleep and after letting it sleep all night it will not resume. It is now trying to resume itself 3 times and comes up with the blank screen on the third try and no inputting via keyboard or mouse will have an effect. I then have to hard reboot.

Mark K.

My start-up (and only) hard drive is connected to Intel Controller SATA 6G port. I have JMBmicron mentioned in the BIOS, but not visible in Windows (I have the P8P67 Deluxe model). If JMBmicron uses SCSIport minidriver, you should either remove SP1 or request the hotfix at:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2495523

System Specs:
P8P67 Deluxe R3
Intel 2600K
ATI 6970
Dell U3011 + Dell 2007FPx2
OCZ Vertex 2 SSD
ADATA 1600 4GBx4
Windows 7 x64

I've had the problem mentioned by the OP since I first installed my original P8P67 Deluxe. I am now on an updated R3 board and 1502 BIOS and still have the same issue. Even with OC off and PLL Overvoltage disabled, going into S3 sleep will work for a short sleep time, but anything over about an hour will cause the board to continually repost until powered down. I haven't been able to determine the exact period before an S3 resume will fail and it happens even when hibernation is disabled (powercfg -h off), so it shouldn't be the S3->S4 transition that is at fault.

Here are a few things that I've tried without success:

Ensuring that my boot device (OCZ Vertex 2 SSD) is on the Intel controller.
Removing the external Phantom Greendrive 2TB from the system.
Change in video card setup from old NVidia to modern ATI.
Removing all but one stick of RAM.
Disconnecting ALL USB devices except keyboard or mouse.

Between BIOS updates and newer drivers, I've been able to resolve every other issue with this system, but functional S3 sleep is eluding me and S4 is annoyingly slow when you are accustomed to S3.

My system:
Asus P8P67 Pro (B3 Rev w/ v1502 BIOS)
i7-2600k
ATI Radeon HD 5770
4x2GB Corsair DDR3 1600Mhz
Samsung 470 SSD
Windows 7 Pro x64

I have had two issues ever since I finished building my system. I have not yet overclocked my system.

1) Sleep mode. This problem seems widespread. When I disabled PLL Overvoltage, this no longer is an issue. I can leave it in sleep mode all day without any side effects.

2) Random restart. This is a daily occurrence. The system would suddenly and randomly restart without warning or prompting. Does anyone have this problem or know how to resolve it? Please advise. It's driving me crazy.

Found HardForum specifically because I was looking for info on this problem. My B2 Pro board was fine, but my replacement B3 Deluxe board suffers from double boots, the S3 resume problem, and the occasional freeze (although that hasn't happened in a few days now).

My RealSSD C300 boot drive is connected to the Intel 6G port, Marvell and JMBMicron controllers are disabled, I've tried my memory on both Auto and XMP, C states are set to enabled, PLL overvoltage disabled, AMP settings disabled except for PCIe. Installed MST and played around with it, to no avail.

Short sleep works fine, but anything prolonged freezes everything up with a black screen. Just about ready to head back to MicroCenter, again, and swap this out for a Gigabyte board.

My system:
Asus P8P67 Pro (B3 Rev w/ v1502 BIOS)
i7-2600k
ATI Radeon HD 5770
4x2GB Corsair DDR3 1600Mhz
Samsung 470 SSD
Windows 7 Pro x64

I have had two issues ever since I finished building my system. I have not yet overclocked my system.

1) Sleep mode. This problem seems widespread. When I disabled PLL Overvoltage, this no longer is an issue. I can leave it in sleep mode all day without any side effects.

2) Random restart. This is a daily occurrence. The system would suddenly and randomly restart without warning or prompting. Does anyone have this problem or know how to resolve it? Please advise. It's driving me crazy.

2) Possibly due to instability of memory or the CPU. Run the usual stress tests to eliminate these two as a possible issue.

-Raja

Raja,

Good to see you on the forum. Is there any news about the sleep issue and/or when the 1505 BIOS will be officially released?

Thanks in advance!

2) Possibly due to instability of memory or the CPU. Run the usual stress tests to eliminate these two as a possible issue.

-Raja

I tried memory from other brands: G.Skill, Kingston, and generic; I also replaced the cpu for a brand new one; but random rebooting still persists.

Last edited:
I don't think the problem is limited to the Asus Boards

I have a Gigabyte H55N-usb3 with an I3-540 it will go week or sometimes longer not problems waking up then all of a sudden it will not wake up it will just cycle of trying to power up then shut down (it will continue to do that until I get pissed which is about the 2nd time or 3rd time and shut the power off on the P/S for 30 sec). Same problem is written about on the Green button with another Gigabyte board. One person wrote on the Newegg customer reviews regarding the Gigabyte H55N-USB3 that:

"The issue is that Windows Update installs a super old driver for the Intel Management Engine Interface and that results in the lockups. Boot in safe mode and remove the device from the Device Manager (should be under System devices). Make sure you check the "delete driver" checkbox or it will reinstall when you reboot.

Reboot the computer.

Download the Intel ME: Management Engine Driver for Intel 5 Series Chipset-Based Desktop Boards from the Intel Download Center (File name is MEI_ALLOS_6.1.0.1042_PV.exe)"

I have done this fix. So far for 3 days no problems but I am still holding my breath because like I said sometimes it doesn't rear its ugly head for until 8 or 10 days.

I do have auto updates disabled just to see if this fixes the problem. My system is not overclocked I'm just using it primarily for an HTPC and no gaming. I'm trying to get 7MC stable and with no problems.

I have hooked up my sony laptop and it has problems waking up sometimes also it has an I5 chip so its a newer system. I just put that in there because I'm not certain its a motherboard issue.

I like the suggestion of the MST I will use that if this fix doesn't cut it.

I was having exactly this problem on my P8P67 Deluxe. Although I found S3 to work properly at stock speeds, when overclocked even modestly my machine would not wake after going into S3 for any reason, induced or not, and even with PLL overvolt disabled. Upon trying to wake the system, fans and LEDs would start normally but my monitor would remain black and I'd have to do a hold-power-button hard reset.

Since it worked at factory default settings, while flashing to BIOS 1503 I decided to clear CMOS and reconfigure my settings one by one (more or less) until I could isolate the one that broke S3 resume.

For me, it turned out to be my G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 (2x2GB), rated for 2133MHz @ 1.60v. Up to now I have been configuring it using the XMP profile, which worked perfectly aside from the S3 resume issue. After flashing to 1503 and running a few sleep trials, it was precisely after enabling XMP config that S3 resume stopped working again.

For me, the problem went away when I reduced DDR speed manually to 1866Mhz. I left RAM at 1.60v and all other settings on Auto. S3 now behaves perfectly for me, and since there is little real-world difference in performance between 1866 and 2133, I'm happy with this workaround.

Hmm, I made some changes and seem to have fixed my long sleep problems, I did a few long sleeps and even an overnight sleep without issue.

The changes I made were:
-Swapped Deluxe B2 board for a Deluxe B3 / Rev 3.0 board
-Uninstalled ASUS AI Suite
-Uninstalled Marvell/JMB drivers (already disabled in UEFI)
-Switched Dell 2709W monitor for a U2711
-Connected monitor to the first port on the graphics card instead of the second

I guess swapping the mobo was the most significant thing. Also to consider are the things that go with replacing a mobo i.e. may have swapped VGA power leads, swapped SATA leads, connected USB devices to different ports...

I've put auto sleep back on now, let's hope the problem doesn't return..

In this thread: http://hardforum.com//showthread.php?t=1578865. Raja posted another solution.

Especially people with SSD's should set "Hot plug for sata devices " to enabled in BIOS.

For me this finally solved the sleep issue on my not-overclocked B2 Deluxe board with 1503 Bios.

Only thing is that:
Debug code shows "30" after coming out of sleep instead of "AA".
Don't now why and don't know what harm this could do.....

A minor other thing is that only clicking the mouse button will resume the PC. On my X58 Asus deluxe mobo, moving the mouse or clicking the keyboard would resume the PC as well.

Sleep problem is very very anoying I think. Glad it is sort of solved for me. Hopefully my replacement B3 will work as well......

I can now unequivocally say, for me, this is Mother Board Temperature related.

I first disassembled the computer and set it on a table with the necessary precautions and essentials. With ambient temperatures around 60 degrees Fahrenheit the computer would not wake even after only a minute or two this is with a reported MB temp of low 20’s Celsius. I tried many times probably around ten or so and every time it failed to resume with Q-code “EA”. I kept the computer components on and exposed to cold air for a good length of time and tried sleep and it never worked although using the computer showed no signs or hints of any problems and while I didn’t stress test the computer worked well until it went to sleep.

I then closed all the windows, turned on the house heat, and then faced a small space heater fan directly at the table with the computer components on it. With the computer off I waited for the ambient temperatures to get over 70 degrees in the house the whole time keeping the space heater on the components.

I then turned on the computer and tried sleep and it worked flawlessly every time and for periods longer than an hour.

Now I know there is a low temperature problem with sleep but not with anything else while the computer is awake and operating regardless of operating temperature.

I then tried to isolate the problem component starting with the PSU. I cooled the PSU to a cold temperature and tried sleep and it worked flawlessly. I then tried the GPU and cooled it and again tried sleep and it worked flawlessly.

Then I cooled only the Mother Board with the CPU and RAM on it and sleep failed in less than a minute with multiple boots and Q-Code “EA”. This continued until the board warmed up again and it started working flawlessly at any time interval. I don’t know the exact temps since I wasn’t monitoring them at the time I was trying sleeps.

Now that I know this is a cold temperature problem related to the MB/CPU/RAM what do I do next and can I do anything.

If anyone who had or has sleep problems wants to try and get the MB cool to around 60 degrees F or lower and see if sleep problems occur, and then try keeping components above 75 degrees F and see if sleep problems occur, I would be interested in the outcome.

Thanks,

Mark K.

I have now tried cooling the MB/CPU only and it will not resume properly even in less than a minute of fan motion ceasing. This with 1 stick of warm ram in the first slot. Just so it's clear I first tried cooling just one stick of RAM and trying that with a warm MB/CPU/GPU/PSU and it worked just fine at any amount of sleep time.

The problem is with the MB/CPU only resuming from sleep when cool and not from a cold boot or while using the computer.

Thanks,

Mark K.

I am starting to agree that the sleep problem is a cold temp problem. I have a Sabertooth P67 with BIOS set to default settings with the following changes:

1. All SATA ports are hot plugged enabled.
2. Marvell and JMicron controllers disabled
3. PLL overvoltage is disabled

Sleep was working perfectly until a week ago when we started to experience a cold snap with the weather. Since then it has got colder and resume from sleep no longer works. The weather is the only thing that has changed from when resume from sleep was working.

One other thing: It isn't only the video that is affected, it is all PCIe devices. I have a PCIe TV Tuner and it is set to wake the computer from sleep every morning and record. It is no longer recording, coinciding with the computer not resuming properly.

Hi Therat,

That is very interesting!

Could you try a small space heater fan, that is if you have one to try, pointed at the mother board, and see if sleep resume works then.

Thanks,

Mark K.

I was going to but the damn heater died. Been so long since it was used. Will have to get another one and give it a try.

I was having problems resuming from standby when I had 16GB of ram in the system. did not matter overclocked or stock settings. If I removed 8GB it would resume correctly. this is how I fixed my problem YRMV.

I upgraded to bios 1702 and I bumped up DRAM Data REF and Ctrl REF voltage on channel A/B 1 bump from default and for the last week my system has resumed from sleep properly with the 16GB of Ram. The shortest tested time resume from sleep was 8 hours hopefully this continues to function. My system will even wake remotely from my Iphone Tv app.....

I was having problems resuming from standby when I had 16GB of ram in the system. did not matter overclocked or stock settings. If I removed 8GB it would resume correctly. this is how I fixed my problem YRMV.

I upgraded to bios 1702 and I bumped up DRAM Data REF and Ctrl REF voltage on channel A/B 1 bump from default and for the last week my system has resumed from sleep properly with the 16GB of Ram. The shortest tested time resume from sleep was 8 hours hopefully this continues to function. My system will even wake remotely from my Iphone Tv app.....

I'm not an overclocker so have never touched my voltage settings. Exactly where are those 2 settings located and exactly how much did you bump up the voltage? From what to what?

Thanks

It's under the Ai Tweaker tab. When you highlight it it will show you default voltage value in right hand top of screen. use the + to navigate to that voltage then + one more time.

I did as you said and went into the Ai Tweaker tab but I couldn't find any settings named

"DRAM Data REF" or "Ctrl REF"

Could you please post an image of them if possible.

cheers

My latest test;

I let the comp sleep on its own with ambient temps around low 60's F. After an hour of this my computer would normally be sufficiently cool to not wake from sleep every time. I have proved this to myself many times. This time I warmed the innards of the computer with a fan heater (small ceramic style heater), for about five minutes before I tried to wake it up. It woke up beautifully after all night. This suggests to me that it may be a sensor reporting issue upon S3 resume and not a lost voltage to DRAM overnight.

I have tried different DRAM settings and Voltages and none fixes sleep wake up from overnight sleeps. I even tried custom settings and voltages prescribed by Raja@Hardforum all to no avail.

I am not suggesting anyone get anything hot (over 100 F) and in my case it is not necessary things just need to be warm. Maybe a range from 80F to 100F is sufficient.

I know this all sounds crazy and I had to test many times to prove it to myself that sleep is affected by cool to cold temperatures. Everyone I have mentioned this to says no this not a cold issue and that it is a driver issue, or voltage issue, or an OS issue, or a BIOS issue. For me it is nothing but a cool mother board.

Thanks,

Mark K.

Mark,

Worth a try. I'll test my system tonight (Oz time) with a heater in here to keep my system warm all night and see if it wakes tomorrow.

cheers

Mark,

Worth a try. I'll test my system tonight (Oz time) with a heater in here to keep my system warm all night and see if it wakes tomorrow.

cheers

Well I set up a heater to keep my study warm but it made no difference. Still no power to the PCIe slots when trying to resume the next morning.

It is not only the video card affected it's all PCIe slots. I have a PCIe TV Tuner card that i set up to record every morning and it didn't work either this morning.

Just updated to the new 1801 BIOS. Will see if resume from hibernation works at least tomorrow morning.

I'm currently having the same issues.

Any advice to give? I've read all the post and tried everything listed so far....

Thanks all.

Back