ASUS P5WD2 or P5AD2-E ?

Ruskin

n00b
Joined
Apr 3, 2005
Messages
43
Am I better to go with the P5WD2 Premium (chipset 955X) or P5AD2-E Premium (chipset 925XE). The P5WD2 has a few extra features that I like (such as 2 ATA headers, which I need, as I have 2 IDE hard drives and an internal CD-ROM). The P5AD2-E only has 1 (so I would have to replace one IDE hard drive with a SATA) and is a bit more expensive.

The P5WD2 also has the later chipset which will handle dual-core processors (although, I am getting the 670, which is a single core, 3.8GHz with 2Mb of L2 cache. But it's always good to futureproof where possible).

The P5AD2-E has 64-bit support, does the P5WD2? On the ASUS product pages, when I compare the two, the P5AD2-E has a big 64-bit banner, but there is no mention of any 64-bit support on the P5WD2 product page. However, the cpu support page, states that the P5WD2 supports the 670 chip (which is a 64-bit capable chip), but this does not necessarily mean, that the motherboard is 64-bit capable.

Not interested in overclocking, so not too worried about oc capabilities. The main questions; what extra do you get with the P5AD2-E (given the higher price) and does the P5WD2 support a 64-bit OS?
 
The P5WD2 does support 64-bit os's. I was looking at the P5AD2E before the 955's came out, they are both solid boards. I would get the P5WD2 Premium, you get Sata2 and support for dual core if you decide to go that route.
 
ChronicTrees said:
The P5WD2 does support 64-bit os's. I was looking at the P5AD2E before the 955's came out, they are both solid boards. I would get the P5WD2 Premium, you get Sata2 and support for dual core if you decide to go that route.


i have the P5AD2-E Premium Mobo for about 4 months now and i love it! i have a 3.0 gig processor OC'ed to 3.6 and its very stable. Its a great board with a lot of features!
 
Back
Top