• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

ASUS P5W64 WS Pro - PROBLEM?!!?

Devastator

n00b
Joined
Sep 26, 2006
Messages
39
Hey guys, got my new system setup over the weekend with the new ASUS P5W64 WS Professional and I seem to be having a small problem.

The Board comes with a feature called " AI NOS" which I suppose overlocks your machine to some set level? However when I enable this feature in the bios and reboot, the system halts with a "NVRAM CHECKING" message and just sits. In order to fix it I have to clear the whole system by removing the board battery and switching a jumper (Pain in the butt)

Any ideas on what the problem is? Is the board defective? I havent tried manually overlocking yet and I hope that I wouldnt have the same problem.

Thank for any replies!!! :)
 
Usually when it hangs like that it is because the system is running at a speed that it cant handle. You might set it to manual or something like that to where you tune it manually and see if you have better luck that way.

Additionally check for bios updates, ASUS is notorious for shipping boards with old BIOS's
 
If you need help overclocking with this board give me a PM , more than willing to help you.

I helped one guy yesterday with the same board and on first go we got 3.2ghz stable on a E6400.
 
Devastator said:
Hey guys, got my new system setup over the weekend with the new ASUS P5W64 WS Professional and I seem to be having a small problem.

The Board comes with a feature called " AI NOS" which I suppose overlocks your machine to some set level? However when I enable this feature in the bios and reboot, the system halts with a "NVRAM CHECKING" message and just sits. In order to fix it I have to clear the whole system by removing the board battery and switching a jumper (Pain in the butt)

Any ideas on what the problem is? Is the board defective? I havent tried manually overlocking yet and I hope that I wouldnt have the same problem.

Thank for any replies!!! :)

You are not alone!!!

I'm having exactly the same problem. It will hang in the same way you describe even if you set it for a 3% overclock. It also occurs if you manually make any changes to CPU frequency, Memory voltage, CPU voltage. I'm using BIOS 0307 with an E6600. Corsair memory 1Gb kit DDR2 5400 C4.

Also installation of AI Booster software fails, as well as PC Probe II....
 
Well, thats a relief to know that Its not just me!!

Here is what I am running:

Antec TRUEPOWERII TPII-550 ATX12V 550W Power Supply

P5W64 WS Pro - running bios that shipped with board (dont think there is a update yet?)

Intel core 2 duo E6600 w/
ZALMAN CNPS9500

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit

2x Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Asus Geforce 7900GT w/
ZALMAN VF700-CU 2 Ball VGA COOLER

I
 
Devastator said:
Well, thats a relief to know that Its not just me!!

Here is what I am running:

Antec TRUEPOWERII TPII-550 ATX12V 550W Power Supply

P5W64 WS Pro - running bios that shipped with board (dont think there is a update yet?)

Intel core 2 duo E6600 w/
ZALMAN CNPS9500

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit

2x Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Asus Geforce 7900GT w/
ZALMAN VF700-CU 2 Ball VGA COOLER

I

My board was shipped with BIOS 0206 and would not boot. Asus sent me a BIOS chip 0307 and it booted. Have not tried a newer BIOS 0408 on the Asus website http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

Have you sucessfully installed AI Booster or PC Probe II?
 
pebbles said:
My board was shipped with BIOS 0206 and would not boot. Asus sent me a BIOS chip 0307 and it booted. Have not tried a newer BIOS 0408 on the Asus website http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

Have you sucessfully installed AI Booster or PC Probe II?


Yep, I installed both of them, PC Probe works fine, the AI booster locked me up when I hit the NOS button. But it opens and displays info.

Im not sure what chip I am running inside (its late, dont feel like opening case now) but I know I have the latest software bios update.
 
somewhat ot - you guys dont seem like big overclockers. what made you decide to get this board? the p5w dh seems to have a lot more consumer type features. do you need the 4 pcie slots? i have only seen this board below $300 in the last couple days.
 
vanilla_guerilla said:
somewhat ot - you guys dont seem like big overclockers. what made you decide to get this board? the p5w dh seems to have a lot more consumer type features. do you need the 4 pcie slots? i have only seen this board below $300 in the last couple days.

I bought this board because it supports Core 2 Duo and has PCI-X slots for my Adaptec 29320 SCSI controller. I upgraded from a Asus P4C800-E Deluxe MB system.
 
The only released version of BIOS for the P5W64-WS Pro is version 0116.
Are you sure you have a P5W64-WS Pro ???
Perhaps you have a P5WDG2-WS Pro ???

Andrew


pebbles said:
My board was shipped with BIOS 0206 and would not boot. Asus sent me a BIOS chip 0307 and it booted. Have not tried a newer BIOS 0408 on the Asus website http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

Have you sucessfully installed AI Booster or PC Probe II?
 
The ASUS boards that have "WS" (Workstation) in their model name are (arguably) their most solid series of boards, and are designed to be the most stable boards that they produce. Again, this is arguable, people will tell you that they prefer P5B Deluxe, etc. or non-ASUS boards.

I got the P5W64-WS Pro last week, and had tried 3 other ASUS boards with Conroe.
This is, by far, the best that I have tried. Extremely stable and very good overclocker.

I only plan to run 1 video card with it, so the 4 pcie were not a factor for me.

Northbridge (MCH) voltage goes up to 1.8v, etc.

Andrew


vanilla_guerilla said:
somewhat ot - you guys dont seem like big overclockers. what made you decide to get this board? the p5w dh seems to have a lot more consumer type features. do you need the 4 pcie slots? i have only seen this board below $300 in the last couple days.
 
pebbles said:
I bought this board because it supports Core 2 Duo and has PCI-X slots for my Adaptec 29320 SCSI controller. I upgraded from a Asus P4C800-E Deluxe MB system.


i must have read some old specifications. i was under the impression that it only had 2xpci 2.2 slots, and did not have any pci-x slots. i thought only the p5w dg2 ws pro had pci x slots.

http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=1341&l1=3&l2=82&l3=0

p5wdg2 ws pro
http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=3&l2=82&l3=0&model=1289&modelmenu=1
 
aamsel said:
The only released version of BIOS for the P5W64-WS Pro is version 0116.
Are you sure you have a P5W64-WS Pro ???
Perhaps you have a P5WDG2-WS Pro ???

Andrew

You are correct, I have a P5WDG2-WS PRO. So I did mis-read the original post, but my board has the exact same problem. I apologize to all, sorry:(...
 
With help from Nooh tonight, I succesfully clocked my E6600 up to 3200mhz, FSB 350 rock solid. Didnt want to push it much further till I get my new fans installed.

Bottom line, the windows NOS software is crap, do your overlocking manually in the Bios, the board is fine and clocks like a mf'n champ!
 
Devastator said:
With help from Nooh tonight, I succesfully clocked my E6600 up to 3200mhz, FSB 350 rock solid. Didnt want to push it much further till I get my new fans installed.

Bottom line, the windows NOS software is crap, do your overlocking manually in the Bios, the board is fine and clocks like a mf'n champ!


Hi

I had the problem of Hang with Cheching NVRAM with NOS software in MOBO Asus P5WDG2-WSPro
.

Please, you help me!

I want a Overclock stable with mi 6600 conroe.

Regards

Sergio.
 
Back
Top