Asus P5W DH Deluxe won't detect SATA DVD drives

ryansebiz

Limp Gawd
I just installed two SATA DVD drives and XP doesn't detect them.

I connected the SATA cables to the orange JMichron connections. The other red SATA ports are occupied by my three hard drives.

During post I get this message:

Fourth Master Hard Disk Error

My relevant BIOS settings are:

Main
Fourth IDE Master [External Disk 0] (for some reason it thinks a DVD drive is a hard drive)

IDE Configuration
Configure SATA as AHCI (other options are Standard IDE and RAID)

Advanced
Onboard Devices Configuration
JMichron SATA/PATA Controller [Enabled]
JMichron Controller Mode [AHCI] (other options are Basic or RAID)
JMichron SATA/RAID BOOTROM [Enabled]

Any ideas how to get these drives working?

Orange?? You're sure you didn't connect it to the EZ-Backup because that's the only orange connection. You will also have to use the orange cable that came with it.

Turn off your computer and check your manual on page 2-27 and change your jumper to BIG mode. See if that work.

Thanks for the reply. I completely forgot that the orange ports are EZ RAID (had to RTFM).

That said, is there any way to use the EZRAID ports with the DVD drives? Or will I be limited to the only remaining black JMichron SATA port?

Or could I switch two of my three hard drives to EZ RAID and connect the DVD drives to the ICH7R? Would that cause any problems?

In reference to page 2-27, what exactly does BIG mode do?

Also, is there a way to configure just the DVD drives as IDE? I've tried switching the JMichron Controller Mode to Basic, but that didn't work. I've read it's bad to change all SATA drives from AHCI to IDE. What should I try?

Orange?? You're sure you didn't connect it to the EZ-Backup because that's the only orange connection. You will also have to use the orange cable that came with it.

Turn off your computer and check your manual on page 2-27 and change your jumper to BIG mode. See if that work.

Why the orange cables? All they are is standard SATA cables....right?

Thanks for the reply. I completely forgot that the orange ports are EZ RAID (had to RTFM).

That said, is there any way to use the EZRAID ports with the DVD drives? Or will I be limited to the only remaining black JMichron SATA port?

Or could I switch two of my three hard drives to EZ RAID and connect the DVD drives to the ICH7R? Would that cause any problems?

In reference to page 2-27, what exactly does BIG mode do?

Also, is there a way to configure just the DVD drives as IDE? I've tried switching the JMichron Controller Mode to Basic, but that didn't work. I've read it's bad to change all SATA drives from AHCI to IDE. What should I try?

You can give it a try by connecting the DVD to the ezraid1 but you will have to switch the pin to BIG mode. Big mode(the other 2 modes are for Raid0 and Raid1) let you install single HDD instead of Raid mode. I have no clue if your DVD rom will work on the EZraid connections. You can connect 2 HDD on the EZRAID connector 1 and 2 but you will have to set it to BIG mode.

If I were you go HERE and get some help.

Why the orange cables? All they are is standard SATA cables....right?

You probably could use standard SATA cables but these cable came with the motherboard so it just to be on the safe side.

You can give it a try by connecting the DVD to the ezraid1 but you will have to switch the pin to BIG mode. Big mode(the other 2 modes are for Raid0 and Raid1) let you install single HDD instead of Raid mode.

I could not get a single HDD to work with the jumper set to BIG mode.

I have no clue if your DVD rom will work on the EZraid connections. You can connect 2 HDD on the EZRAID connector 1 and 2 but you will have to set it to BIG mode.

I also could not get the DVD drives to work on BIG mode.

In the BIOS I set DH Features > EZ RAID to enabled, but it would simply reset itself upon boot. This most likely occurred because I didn't create a RAID array (just wanted to try it for troubleshooting).

I tried the red and orange cables, neither worked.

I can only get one DVD drive working by connecting it to the single black JMichron SATA connection, which leaves me with an unused drive.

If I were you go HERE and get some help.

I have posted there as well.

I could not get a single HDD to work with the jumper set to BIG mode.

I also could not get the DVD drives to work on BIG mode.

In the BIOS I set DH Features > EZ RAID to enabled, but it would simply reset itself upon boot. This most likely occurred because I didn't create a RAID array (just wanted to try it for troubleshooting).

I tried the red and orange cables, neither worked.

I can only get one DVD drive working by connecting it to the single black JMichron SATA connection, which leaves me with an unused drive.

I have posted there as well.

Hmm, interesting. Not sure how I got mine working before. Not sure if I left the pin on the BIG mode or left it empty. Maybe try taking out the pin and leave it empty.

Hmm, interesting. Not sure how I got mine working before. Not sure if I left the pin on the BIG mode or left it empty. Maybe try taking out the pin and leave it empty.

Bingo. Thank you. Took out both pins and now I can use my DVD drives :)

Back