Asus P5W DH Deluxe overheating? Anyone had this problem?

nbaj2k

n00b
I built my computer with my E6600 and my Asus P5W DH Deluxe motherboard. Everything seemed to be fine. That was until I ran the PC Probe program that came with the motherboard to check the temperature. It shows that my motherboard is running at 58 degrees Celsius. I'm not sure if its the motherboard or what, I do have 1 ATI Radeon 1900 XT in my computer along with a Hauppauge 500 TV tuner. Could they be causing the problem? I'm supposed to call the RMA # tomorrow to request a new one and ship back my current board. I just want to be sure, or atleast as sure as I can be that that is actually the problem.

I have a LIAN LI PC-6070Bplus II Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811112102

Anyone have any thoughts?

Also, has anyone dealt with RMAing a board with Asus? Any chance they will take my credit card info and send the new one first? I kind of really need my PC and can't wait.

Thanks,

~J

Mine shows 40 something C pretty much all the time. Sad thing is that it usually runs hotter than my CPU does.

Big Fat Duck said:
i like how people freak about temps even while nothing is actually going wrong

I am not worried about it. Though the motherboard does run very hot.

What temp without TV tuner? Did you remove the plastic protective film from the three heat sinks? You can also remove the tin covers on the heat sinks as that helps a lot. 58c for that board at idle is not right, run another program like speedfan and see it it reports the same temp.

If mine was @ 58C idle I would freak out to.

I like how people freak about temps even while nothing is actually going wrong :rolleyes:

As u will read in other threads its the crappy compound that ships with the board. If you want decent temps you have to remove the NB and SB heatsinks and reapply them with some ac5. I got a good board (for the crap they use) and it got to 45c at a load, after reapplying I dropped my temps to 35c.

adrift02 said:
As u will read in other threads its the crappy compound that ships with the board. If you want decent temps you have to remove the NB and SB heatsinks and reapply them with some ac5. I got a good board (for the crap they use) and it got to 45c at a load, after reapplying I dropped my temps to 35c.

I agree but 58c come on. I had two of the boards and never seen anything close to that.

How do you guys know with speedfan what's what? I have some reding 110C. Erroneous I'm sure.

Have you got 2 programs trying to access the same temp probe?

This causes all sorts of bogus readings, if you run PC Probe and then start CPU-Z you'll see what i mean. Either 128C or 256C core temps pop up.

Rob

I had good temps day one. 40 c It is all about having enough air flow. The board will operate stable to 60c and your on the high side. I would just rethink your cooling and air flow. A little imagination and some elbow grease and you should be able to handle the issue.

My case was 58c untill i changed the rear exhaust to intake and added a side panel exhust fan. The intake has a shroud pushing a boat load of air at the cpu and subsequently the chipset sink. 40 c now just by adjusting air flow and adding a fan.

alright, i RMA'd out the board, got another one same thing, maybe a tad lower (right now its at 54 degrees. Any suggestions about what I can do with the fans? Should I add one or reverse one of them maybe?

Any suggestions would be great. With my case came 3 80mm fans and 1 120mm fan.

Thanks,

~J

How are they currently working flow-wise?

I changed my side fan from an exhaust to an intake and my Chsipset temp went from 50C load to 38C

Whats your setup and maybe we can make a suggestion.

Rob

nbaj2k said:
alright, i RMA'd out the board, got another one same thing, maybe a tad lower (right now its at 54 degrees. Any suggestions about what I can do with the fans? Should I add one or reverse one of them maybe?

Any suggestions would be great. With my case came 3 80mm fans and 1 120mm fan.

Thanks,

~J

Use SpeedFan, it shows 2 temps .. Temp1 is the "Southbridge" or chipset you see with the gold colored heatsink. Temp2 is the CPU. Because the chipset doesnt have active cooling, it gets quite hot.

I have an Antec P180 case with an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro installed on the CPU. On my P5W-DH with an E6600 oc'ed to 3.0 GHz, the temps are 46C and 26C respectively for chipset and CPU at idle. ( The CPU temps reported by Asus Probe and Speedfan are off to some extent and you'll have to use a program like CoreTemp to see the real temperature of the core)

If you don't like the chipset temp, remove the plastic covering, remove the gold colored flat metal on top, expose the fins and if that doesnt help, put a small chipset cooler fan on the heatsink. You will find it greatly lowers temps ( at the expense of noise, but then again you can control the fan speed via SpeedFan ). There's a good guide about this here and here. Ignore the part about volt mods and you don't even have to remove the Northbridge and Southbridge heatsinks, just remove the covers and put a chipset cooler on the chipsets. If that doesn't lower temps, then you might have to remove them and put Arctic Silver 5 or better, Shin-Etsu Thermal pads - these stick better and I've found no practical difference between them and AS5 when it comes to RAM and Chipset cooling

I have a 120mm fan that exhausts out on that side of the case, then 3 80mm fans, 2 in the front with one intake and t other outtake I believe, and one in the back

Should I change the configuration?

I also received an optional fan that came with the board that says right on it only to use it with a water cooling or passive cooling system, so I wasn't sure it would be a good idea to use it.

The fans I don't mind changing, I'd rather not tamper with the motherboard if I don't have to.

Thanks,

~J

DONT use the fan that came with the motherboard it will obstruct the airflow coming from the CPU and wont let the hot air exit so easily.

As it says on it only use if watercooling.

As for the fans you should have as much air coming in as going out, if i were you i would put all the 80mm fans as intakes and the 2 120's as exhausts and you should be good.

Do this and Im sure you will see a differance in your temps.

Good luck

Rob

nbaj2k said:
I have a 120mm fan that exhausts out on that side of the case, then 3 80mm fans, 2 in the front with one intake and t other outtake I believe, and one in the back

I think you should, as things got better for me when I did.

Put the 120mm fan on the back, as it will help exhaust hot air better. If it's a silent type, like a Nexus, noise will probably get lower too.

Another thing that might help is moving the place the side fan is, so that it blows over the chipset HS. Try doing it by hand, by trial and error, to see which position is better.

Most side plates I have seen position the fan over the CPU, and that may mix up internal flow currents a bit, as the rear fan should exhaust the CPU's hot air. The side fan being over the CPU might disturb that flow.

Once you find the position where the chipset starts going down, mark it down on the side plate. You may have to drill holes in the side plate to hold the fan there. There might have to be a distance between the fan and the plate, perhaps even several flowing holes drilled.

One problem will be that you will have to remove the cable when you open the side plate, but you should already have the problem now if you have a side fan.

See if that helps.

Do remember how the fans should be positioned flow-wise. The rear fan should blow to the outside. The side fan should blow to the inside. Most fans have an arrow showing that direction.

nbaj2k said:

I also received an optional fan that came with the board that says right on it only to use it with a water cooling or passive cooling system, so I wasn't sure it would be a good idea to use it.

The fans I don't mind changing, I'd rather not tamper with the motherboard if I don't have to.

Thanks,

~J

Buy two of these and put them on your chipsets ( northbridge and southbridge ). You'll have to remove the flat part that covers the chipsets - the covers that say 'ASUS' and 'Digital Home '. This is easy - just pull on the flat upper part and keep a flat bladed screwdriver pressed GENTLY into the chipset heatsink so that the only thing that will come off is the top cover. The covers are held on with nothing but weak adhesive. Once that's done put the fans on and enjoy the low temps ( The chipset temp should reach 38C once that's done ).

If you don't want to do this, use a fan bracket like the Zalman and angle a good silent fan so it is blowing across the chipset that says 'Asus'.

Back