• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Asus P5RD2-VM USB 2.0 issue

Joined
Apr 14, 2005
Messages
29
I just built a new computer for my parents, and they say that whenever they plug something into the USB ports, they get a message saying something to the effect that the device is plugged into a non-high speed port that can be updated to 2.0. I've looked all over the Asus site, and haven't been able to find anything on this. All 4 of the ports in the back are supposed to be 2.0, as well as the ones on the front via the pins on the board. The driver CD that came with the board had drivers for 2.0, but it said to install SP1 or later because that supported 2.0. SP2 is now installed, and they still get the message. Anyone know anything about this? Thanks.
 
FearlessUser said:
The driver CD that came with the board had drivers for 2.0, but it said to install SP1 or later because that supported 2.0. SP2 is now installed, and they still get the message. Anyone know anything about this? Thanks.

If you didnt have sp1 or sp2 actually installed when you ran the driver disc, It probably didnt install the usb 2.0.

Try reinstalling the board drivers now that sp2 is on there. Make sure it installs the usb, either it will do it on its own, or you might have to select it seperate. Im not sure how that driver cd would work.
 
FearlessUser said:
I just built a new computer for my parents, and they say that whenever they plug something into the USB ports, they get a message saying something to the effect that the device is plugged into a non-high speed port that can be updated to 2.0. I've looked all over the Asus site, and haven't been able to find anything on this. All 4 of the ports in the back are supposed to be 2.0, as well as the ones on the front via the pins on the board. The driver CD that came with the board had drivers for 2.0, but it said to install SP1 or later because that supported 2.0. SP2 is now installed, and they still get the message. Anyone know anything about this? Thanks.

So you are positive the USB ports that are on the front of the case are USB2.0 and not USB 1.0, it won't matter if the motherboard is all USB 2.0 and the front ports only support up to USB 1.0. I know its stupid, but you have to check everything. :)
 
I got this http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16811133008 Thermaltake case for them (it's the one they wanted), and according to the Egg, the front ports are USB 2.0. I know the stuff there isn't always 100% accurate, so I checked Thermaltake's site and they also say they are USB 2.0 http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/product/chassis/midtower/matrixvx/vd3000bwa.asp. I was originally thinking the front ports on the case are 1.0 (1.1, whatever) also, but anything plugged into the back of the board are also limited to 1.1 instead of 2.0. Nothing plugged into any USB port can work as 2.0. I think that's crazy nowadays and I know I'm probably missing something really stupid and obvious here.

When I gave them the computer, they said they were fine with DL'ing SP2 and installing it, so I let them since I didn't want to waste time with that. I told them after they did it, the USB should be upgraded to 2.0, and if not, try to install the drivers again. They tried and they still get the message to install SP1 or later instead of those drivers.

I've looked at a bunch of places on the net, it's almost time to call Asus. Thanks for the help.
 
did you check the motherboard's BIOS setup to make sure that the USB 2.0 option is set to "enabled"?
 
Ah, it's good to see that someone is having the same issue as I am with my new rig. I'd just check for USB 2.0 drivers from the mobo manufacturer now that SP2 is installed. I need to do the same thing as my DFI SLI-D is only putting out USB 1.1 so far.
 
Busy week. I finally got to it.
USB 2.0 was enabled in the BIOS, but when I went into the device manager, it had a yellow question mark on the USB Controller section. I think it was there, but it seemed to be farther up on the list. Anyway, I went into the properties for it and it said the driver wasn't up to date. So I updated the driveri right from the Driver tab of the properties window and let Windows find a driver online. Took a few minutes, but it found and installed the driver. Works fine now.
Thanks for the help.
Give that a try, Snobok.
 
You have taught us too on your mission about the usb, good on you. :)
 
Back
Top