ASUS P5Q Pro + Windows 7 64 bit. Use Win. 7 or CD setup Drivers?

Hamfiles

Limp Gawd
I did not even run the Setup CD. There was only 1 driver that was needed from the CD, and I used Windows device manager to pull it from the CD.

Does anyone know if there are any updates for the P5Q Pro?

I never use the included motherboard CD. It always seem to be outdated by several months to even a year or two.

Heck, I never get drivers from motherboard sites either except for laptops. Get chipset drivers from chipset manufacturers (Intel, AMD, nVidia, etc). Then install your video driver (also from GPU manufacturer sites). After that, run Windows Update a couple times and let it install whatever drivers you're missing. Once all that's done, revisit Device Manager and see if Windows Update caught everything, and if it doesn't, go to the device manufacturer's website and find the drivers.

If you're unable to identify a device, check out it's Device (Hardware) ID and Google it. You'll find the ID in Device Manager in the Details tab in the device's properties.

Good advice, thx.

I noticed that the drivers MS installed basically had the same performance, prob. the same ones from Asus. But the dates on the MS drivers were different. Asus had newer dates posted. But no difference at all in performance.

Always get your chipset drivers right from the source, in your case Intel. The CD that comes with the motherboards are typically useless, unless they contain utilities that the mobo maker doesn't offer for download.

Always get your chipset drivers right from the source, in your case Intel. The CD that comes with the motherboards are typically useless, unless they contain utilities that the mobo maker doesn't offer for download.

In this case, you're absoluteley correct, since that chipset has been out a while.

Just as an FYI though, its worth noting that Intel.com doesn't have drivers for its products untill its selling them under its own name (even if they are already sold via OEMs).

When I first got my X58 board and was still on XP, the Gigabyte site had outdated drivers, but since intel werent selling their own X58 boards yet, they didn't even list the chipset on their site (unless I was being really thick, but I couldn't find them anywhere). In the end I had to go to EVGA's site.

Back