Asus P5Q Pro Network Crash

rekd0514

Gawd
I have a good question for you guys. Everytime I disable either my lan or wireless connection then enable it again, the computer crashes on the enabling! It black screens then shuts down and restarts.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling to no avail. I have searched google and tried everything I can think of. Why does it keep doing this???? Thanks for any help in advance.

It seems like this all started when I tried to install some new drivers for my wireless card then it went crazy on me.

Zero82z

Fully [H]
Since it happens when you disable and enable your third-party wireless card, that leads me to believe that the issue has something to do with either your OS or your drivers. I suggest you clear out the drivers for both the board's onboard NIC and for your wireless card, and then install fresh drivers for both.

rekd0514

Gawd
What should I use to completely remove them? I have already tried removing them as best I could in the programs and device manager and it doesn't help. I have a couple driver cleaners, but none for lan nic and wireless nic. I sure hope the OS doesn't have some major problem. I don't really want to start fresh again, but if I have to I will probably go Vista 64bit. I am on XP Pro 32bit right now. :)

Zero82z

Fully [H]
Go into Device Manager, right-click on the device you want to uninstall, select the Driver tab, and click the Uninstall button. That will remove the driver.

rekd0514

Gawd
That is what I did. I have something I want to try. After some more google searching I am going to try to install the wireless nic in a different pci slot. Hopefully that will help as I think it cause the initial problem.

rekd0514

Gawd
It turns out it is a driver problem with the drivers for the D Link DWA-552. Apparently the drivers they provide for it cause the crash/blue screen. I got updated drivers from here and all is well.

http://www.station-drivers.com/page/atheros.htm

I got this site bookmarked in FF now. :) I figured I would update in case this helps someone else.

Zero82z

Fully [H]
Good to hear that you figured it out. It's pretty sad that D-Link would put out a driver like that.