Asus P5Q Premium is here

alcuin

Limp Gawd
I haven't heard almost anyone talking about this board; I know there's a P5Q thread, but this board is almost so unique in its own way it needed its own thread. Here's some pics of mine that just got in.

Box shots

Under the flap

Backside

Accessories contents

The IO shield is interesting, and one of their marketing highlight points. There's no longer any of those fingers to get in the way to stick in or block the ps2 ports or USB ports or lan ports. Instead, there's a foam covered in foil to help provide grounding contact.

Front side of IO shield

Phase power fan. Supposed to only be used if using a passive cpu heatsink, otherwise it may impede air flow from a cpu fan.

The TPM security encryption module.

The backside of the TPM, pretty boring, nothing to see here.

The board in anti-static bag. Apparently Asus has to brand their antistatic bags too now.

Board itself, a thing of beauty. I noticed there's a protective film over the southbridge heatsink, but there's no note to remove it; I think they should have included one. I bet plenty of people are going to remove the stickers but not notice the film and overheat their boards.

Back of the board; pretty plain and boring. A couple of flat heat spreaders, but the cpu back area is free and clear for elaborate cpu mounts, unlike Gigabyte.

Comparison of my big 3; Gigabyte GA-N680SLI-DQ6, Gigabyte GA-EP45-DQ6, and Asus P5Q Premium. These are the three available s775 boards that have 10 onboard Sata ports.

Compared to Asus, apparently Gigabyte likes them thick. Boxes, that is.

But everyone loves a fold out box.

They misspelled True on the cover of the box!!
Gotta love the Trun 16 Phaser Power

I was debating, getting this board, but decided I couldn't wait and got the Deluxe instead. But the 3 nics must be nice..

You mean 3 extra nics. ;) 4 total is indeed nice. But like the other two Gigabyte boards, been there, have that.

The GA-EP45, I don't like the pci/pcie layout as much as the Asus. But it has several ups compared to the Asus that I wish Asus also included/copied. The EP45 has led's around several areas of the board; if parts fail during bios post, the led will light up to indicate the trouble component. The Asus has two buttons on the board for power and reset; the Gigabyte has power, reset, and bios reset. Finally, the Gigabyte uses Realtek 889 audio with Dolby Digital Live encoding. The Asus uses Analog Devices AD2000b, which on the Asus Supreme supports EAX4.0, but no DDL. Doesn't matter too much I guess since I have an X-Fi PCIe with DDL to pop in there, but I like my boards with features. :D

Looks like a great board, the possibilities for 4 nics are endless, a bit overkill, but if it wasn't for overkill we wouldn't be here in the first place :D

Freakin' sweet. It supports 16gb.

Sorry I don't have a 64bit OS to install yet.

I just ordered one of these boards and it should be here Wednesday. I was just wondering if you still like your board, and any overclock results you may have.

Thanks

No problems with my board; absolutely love it. I used to have this rare weird Windows boot stall-out, where it would stop booting at the logo screen occasionally on a cold boot; I recently updated my bios and its completely cured. I'm not an expert with any overclocking, so I tend to go the expensive way and just buy a QX cpu. I'm currently running a QX6800 carried over from a previous build; I'll probably wait until they break 4ghz before getting the next one. All the current QX cpus are barely 300mhz faster than the one I have now.

What are you using those NIC's for, surely you didn't get this board to connect it to a router 4 times over. :p Just curious to see what type of rig you are using it for. Using ICS to connect other stuff to it?

I have the Deluxe and if this is anything like that, I'd love it.

Yeah the 4 NICs does seem like overkill, but I will definately try and use them all for something...lol

What are you using those NIC's for, surely you didn't get this board to connect it to a router 4 times over. :p Just curious to see what type of rig you are using it for. Using ICS to connect other stuff to it?

At local lan parties I don't have to bust out a hub, that's pretty much it. Plus all the ports are gigabit, that doesn't hurt either.

At local lan parties I don't have to bust out a hub, that's pretty much it. Plus all the ports are gigabit, that doesn't hurt either.

Haha well if they weren't all gigabit, I would say you had wasted your money. :D

Back