Asus P5P800 SATA problem

ozzyblood

2[H]4U
The problem happens when I install the SATA HDD. The computer will freeze right before it selects the boot devices. If i unplug the SATA HDD, it goes right on past, but when it's plugged in, it freezed everytime. Now this SATA drive has the standard 4pin molex connector on it so I'm just using that, but it does have the other SATA power connector. Is it ok just to use the plain old molex? I dont understand why it keeps freezing.

Which power connector you use shouldn't matter. I can think of three problems:
1) Your SATA controller is damaged.
Do you have a PCI controller you can test?

2) Your hard drive is dead/dying.
Do you have another SATA hard drive?

3) Your hard drive or controller is incompatible with something else in your computer.
Unplug all PCI cards, and disable as much of your onboard stuff as possible. See if this resolves it. If so, keep reenabling devices, one by one, until you find your culprit.
I don't think this is very likely.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the input

What i'm going to do now is place the hard drive in my computer, it does have SATA ports, so I guess that will tell us whether or not its the drive.

God I hope it's the drive, I dont want to have to take the motherboard back.

I'll keep the thread updated

oh and just the AGP vid is the only device plugged in, I tried taking out the cd-rom and floppy that was already connected, still no go =(

Ok so,

I plugged the hard drive into my motherboard (Asus P4G8X-dx) and it didnt stall or anything. I went into CMOS, but I couldnt see the drive here. Should I be able to see the drive here? And if so, will it be listed with the other IDE devices?

So anyway, I came into windows, and I enabled my SATA raid controller cause I had it disabled because I have IDE drives. I downloaded the drivers for it, and rebooted. Everytime I rebooted, it would freeze on the loading windows XP screen.

I unplugged the drive, loads normally. Now, I did leave both my hard drives and cd-rom's installed, and they are on two different IDE channels, not sure if that makes a difference.

IIRC, the Granite Bay chipset (E7205, which is what your P4G8X uses) didn't have native SATA- wasn't it still the ICH4 southbridge? Therefore you probably won't see SATA drives in CMOS, but rather in the IDE/RAID controller's own BIOS.

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, BOTH of your motherboards are freezing/crashing when you hook up your SATA drive? That's either a configuration problem, or a damaged disk. Do you know anyone else who can test the drive for you?

And just for clarification purposes, could you post a rundown of how you have your SATA/PATA stuff set up in BIOS? Be as specific as possible, so that we can try to rule out configuration issues first.

sorry it took so long to get back.

Well, I realize the drive is also making clicking noises, so I'm sure it's the drive that is faulty. On my motherboard, which yes is the granite bay E7205 chipset with ICH4 southbridge, i was able to boot into windows when i originally hooked it up. However, upon rebooting, I would freeze as soon as loading Windows XP would appear.

Now for the other mainboard P5P800, it would sit for about 1-2minutes trying to detect the drive, then say no hard drives found. So I went into the configuration and checked the settings, everything seemed to be ok. With the HDD clicking though, I'm pretty certain it's the drive. I'll go and get it exchanged on monday. If I still have the same issue, then I'll know for sure lol.

Sounds like you solved your own problem, good for you!

In the future, there is a feature in BIOS called HD SMART, or something similar. Enabling this gives you some extra warning of imminent drive failures, so it is a good idea to leave it on at all times- if you haven't done so already.

Thanks for the tip,

This was a brand new drive and mobo, all of the hardware was new. It's a computer for my brother in law, and he was freaking out cause the drive was dead. Told him it was no big deal, that we just go in monday and change it out, but ya know some people..... sigh

Thanks for the advice dude

Back